Lt. Commander
# 51
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm going ot miss SWG's crafting so much....the most advanced crafting system that'll ever exist in an MMO in my opinion.. That and space combat......waaaaay better than the railshooter TOR has...

That and the two years worth of creds I put into my houses a month ago....what a waste of a couple mil. At least I still have 270mil left lol....but no point in spending it on a game that has 5 months to live.

I'm doing The Last Empire Day / Rememberence Day quests right now....the next few days shall be the last badges I'll ever gain form this holiday . No more Darth Vader choosing the selected few in a crowd to be champions of empire day...no more life day, no more festival of love....no moon festival ! Indeed...the last holiday, other than the bitter sweet last anniversary celebration for SWG.

At least the end of SWG wasn't as bad as it could have been.....99% of the people I knew left SWG a year ago or before that due to boredom . Oh well....at least there were some good times.

The countdown continues.
Lt. Commander
# 52
06-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Release Date for SW:ToR - December 15th, 2011
Lt. Commander
# 53
06-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torankusu
Release Date for SW:ToR - December 15th, 2011
This of course is just an educated guess. The game will either go live on this day, or a few days after. I'm willing to put money on a few days after. I had a hunch that they were going to use these servers for ToR. Shut them down, do some maintenance, then load ToR into them.
Lt. Commander
# 54
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Lineage is going offline in Europe and North America.

IS THIS A COINCIDENCE OR SOMETHING MORE SINISTER?????

Hmm, im guessing a coincidence.

OR MAYBE THEY WILL USE THE SERVERS TO CREATE.... A TRIBBLE HOMEWORLD OF DOOM!!!!!

Considering TOR is run by a completely different company... I doubt sony will be handing over the servers to EA

Quote:
I'm willing to put money on a few days after. I had a hunch that they were going to use these servers for ToR.
Give me your money please, your educated guess is based on moonbeams and rainbows
Lt. Commander
# 55
06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I will miss SWG. In the past 7 years, I've never been so engaged in gameplay or ticked off at a gaming company as I had been there. I got to talk to and even do some testing and gameplay ideas with developers, senators, etc.

There are several lessons to be learned from SWG. I've even seen a post via a dev here that they were concerned about NGE and talked about it before or during S4. But, NGE, was not the only mistake that SOE made. Just the one most talked about.

CU cost subscriptions also altho most people put the population back at around 300K on Nov 15, 2005. Rubenfields blog did say that at that time SWG was losing 10K subs a month so that may have been leftovers of the CU. If memory serves, CU didn't last much longer than around 6 months or so. A year and some later, another Producer was hired and he came in with his own plan to save and CHANGE the game, yet again. Only this time he did it on the installment plan and C6CD thru GU-Whatever (1 year of development) was launched. It seemed to do all over again what the last CHANGES did to SWG. SOE did release in an interview that at C6CD they had over 100K current subs and only a few months later the community was guesstimating current subs at around 30K. Constant CHANGE and NERFs seemed to be the normal in the 7 years I played until T2 became Producer. TCG, the "cash" shop over in SWG, did not help matters any either as they had plenty of negative player feedback from that 1, too.

At the end tho, T2, new SWG Producer, had learned quite a bit in his 7 years working on SWG. I got to know this guy via PMs, etc somewhat and we had sometimes lenghy discussions on the past mistakes. He was bound and determined to listen to his playerbase, develop accordingly without adding what he thought was cool without discussions with the playerbase 1st, stay well away from NERFs, keep the game on an even keel, and look 1st to "add-to" continued development. He learned of the demise just a few days before we did. I feel bad for Tony as he really tried and have told him so. I wasn't there for launch of SWG but I will be there on Dec 15. to say my final goodbyes.

But, SOE is not the only ones who have made these mistakes and they probably won't be the last. *** had their own version of C6CD and a few months thereafter, they merged servers. Now going "F2P". Other gaming Cos also have tried more difficulty for existing content to try and make old content new again also. Pretty much none have worked well for sub numbers. Other gaming cos. have and will continue to make these same mistakes and will probably learn the same exact lessons also.

It appears that SOE has in plans another "sandbox" game as their Pres. talked about "more to come" on that subject. I hope, at least they have learned from the 8 years of SWG ( hope they put T2 at the helm) and while they may make other new mistakes, at least they won't have to redo the ones they've already completed and paid for.

All gaming Cos could learn a lot from SWG. All they have to do is listen, former SWG players will be more than happy to tell them.
Lt. Commander
# 56 End of THE sandbox game :(
07-08-2011, 04:50 AM
As a true SW (ie the original and best trilogy) and SWG fan {haven't unsubbed since its launch}

I don't {and never did - been telling everyone for years} compare swtor to swg, as they are 2 so very different games.......

We all believed they would run at least a few servers along side Swtor, but its not to be

GUTTED is only word i can describe how 'ALOT' of us feel! but we have to find something to replace our game with this december?

SWTOR just won't do it for SW fans like me - its not Star wars its a Off spin like the joey was friends....

One pos. thing to take from it though........I am going to play STO 'ALOT' more now, and actualy learn just what the $$%%^ i am doing...Heheheh

I might even roll a new toon to learn it all over again /salute
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp_Core
As a true SW (ie the original and best trilogy) and SWG fan {haven't unsubbed since its launch}

I don't {and never did - been telling everyone for years} compare swtor to swg, as they are 2 so very different games.......

We all believed they would run at least a few servers along side Swtor, but its not to be

GUTTED is only word i can describe how 'ALOT' of us feel! but we have to find something to replace our game with this december?

SWTOR just won't do it for SW fans like me - its not Star wars its a Off spin like the joey was friends....

One pos. thing to take from it though........I am going to play STO 'ALOT' more now, and actualy learn just what the $$%%^ i am doing...Heheheh

I might even roll a new toon to learn it all over again /salute
I was very sad when I got the news.... even though NGE chased me off I still went back from time to time to reconnect and "play" with my Star Wars toys. The space game was hands down top noch. I have been wondering if the Black Prophecy might fill that fighter hole for me now since there are no new wing commanders or xwing games out or coming.
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I hope Bioware posts bits of the bloated corpse of SWG on a spike at each newb zone in kotor. I Loved swg when it 1st came out but I just never found my flow after the infamous reboot... I 4 one wont miss it a bit. Just sayin
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Once SW:TOR was announced, SWG's end was inevitable.
I thought SWG was dead long ago. Go fig.
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igax View Post
I was very sad when I got the news.... even though NGE chased me off I still went back from time to time to reconnect and "play" with my Star Wars toys. The space game was hands down top noch. I have been wondering if the Black Prophecy might fill that fighter hole for me now since there are no new wing commanders or xwing games out or coming.
Black Prophecy? *heads to google*

I want a decent and up-to-date space combat game.