Lt. Commander
# 11
06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I think they will eventually add Denobulans with the face puckering visual.

Really, I think Fed Cardassians are the "gimme" species that ought to be in there.

They're politically at the same place the Bajorans were during the middle of DS9 and by that point, Starfleet Bajorans were pretty common. (See: Ro Laren. Seska -- or so we thought. Tons of background characters.)

The traits that should exist for them are in-game.

No special animations are needed.

The only art tweak really called for is a special neck slider.

They could use more hair styles but so could everyone else and the extra hairstyles they'd need would probably be included for Klingons and a variety of other species.

Really, I think Fed Cardassians are a VERY easy win for Cryptic if they'd include them free in a standard season update or as an account unlock granted by a Featured Series item or a Tribble Test Reward...

... And if they want to offer Klingons something at the same time, Cardassian expatriates are common in Klingon space or they could go a different route and open up KDF Ferengi (through the House of Grilka) or another species for which everything is there to make.

With C-Store stuff, I get it if there are new textures, specially developed textures, new species traits, etc.

But I think it's an easy win to occasionally offer up a species for "free" that requires no new traits or art, just setting the sliders and templates for.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
I think the reason Denobulans aren't a priority is because they geared "alien" so we could make a lot of races ourselves. To my knowledge you can accurately render yourself or a bof as Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, Deltan, Cappellan, Hirogen, Denobulan, Romulan, Efrosian, Yridian and Deferi, and those are just off of the top of my head. I'm pretty sure you could have a good go at Kazon as well thinking about it.

Talaxian on the other hand would be difficult, although I'm also at a loss as to why they're being picked above other races, being that they're native to the Delta Quadrant and all. Unless Neelix was... "prolific" on his arrival to Earth that is. I can see him using the Delta Quadrant oddysey to pick up... "Did I ever tell you about the time I saved Captain Janeway and the Voyager from certain death at the hands of the Borg? It's a fascinating story Miss..."
Neelix never made it to Earth they dropped him off at a Talaxian asteroid colony a couple of episodes before Voyager made it home. There was this huge goodbye scene where the crew lined the corridors as he made his way back to his ship.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaran
Neelix never made it to Earth they dropped him off at a Talaxian asteroid colony a couple of episodes before Voyager made it home. There was this huge goodbye scene where the crew lined the corridors as he made his way back to his ship.
I found that third to last episode to be annoyingly contrived. Neelix hasn't apparently cared one way or another about leaving behind his species, and now suddenly he's getting cold feet. And then Voyager just coincidentally runs into a group of Talaxians out of the blue, even though they had left Talaxian space behind tens of thousands of light years before.

They should have had Neelix either come to Earth or at least come up with a more plausible way for him to leave the ship (and maybe a little foreshadowing that he was even thinking about it). But then again the Voyager writing team seems to have been just about the weakest of any series of Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I found that third to last episode to be annoying contrived. Neelix hasn't apparently cared one way or another about leaving behind his species, and now suddenly he's getting cold feet. And then Voyager just coincidentally runs into a group of Talaxians out of the blue, even though they had left Talaxian space behind tens of thousands of light years before.

They should have had Neelix either come to Earth or at least come up with a more plausible way for him to leave the ship (and maybe a little foreshadowing that he was even thinking about it). But then again the Voyager writing team seems to have been just about the weakest of any series of Trek.
What is wrong with that episode? Love makes intelligent lifeforms do strange things and leaving one family for another is something that seems universal in most alien races. Neelix stayed on board Voyager because of Kes and when she left, there was not much point staying on Voyager besides the company. It is amazing that he didn't leave sooner.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
What is wrong with that episode? Love makes intelligent lifeforms do strange things and leaving one family for another is something that seems universal in most alien races. Neelix stayed on board Voyager because of Kes and when she left, there was not much point staying on Voyager besides the company. It is amazing that he didn't leave sooner.
Well, I think I made it pretty clear why. Kes left the ship 4 years before that, so Neelix didn't have any problems for a long time. But the simple fact is there shouldn't have been Talaxians anywhere near there. It just didn't make any sense. Talax was back where Voyager was in Season 1. Even if it was a little bit closer to the Federation in respect to where they ended up, they would have passed it about 5 years before.

And since then they'd been boosted by Kes, by the "slingshot" device (can't remember its name), etc. In other words they traveled a lot farther than you generally would during that period of time. They were probably 20-30 years from Talax at high warp. Bumping into a random group of Talaxians there was like finding a needle in a haystack the size of the Sears tower. It would have made no less sense for them to encounter the Kazon on the third to last episode.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
There are no Denobulans in STO because their home world was destroyed in the Earth Romulan War in the 22nd century. Phlox survived because he was serving aboard the Enterprise. However the Romulans used biogenic weapons to destroy their world resulting in a plague that killed off many of their species. Even with their long life spans and large amounts of offspring the surviving Denobulans couldn’t maintain their species without severe inbreeding and by the 24th century they were nearly extinct. The Denobulan Captain who was killed at the beginning of the game was one of only 50 surviving Denobulans left. Many surviving Denobulans are past their reproductive age and Starfleet believes that they will be extinct within 20 Earth years.

As to why the Talaxian`s are being added to STO before other better known ones. Well, that`s because Cryptic knows that Nelix was by far the most popular character ever in Star Trek history, well above Spock, McCoy and Data. And Talaxians are the most beloved and famous of all Star Trek races, far more popular and well known than even Vulcans and Klingons. Just ask any random non Star Trek fan on the street: “wtf is a Talaxian?” and they will tell you exactly what and who they are.

In fact Nelix is so popular not just in Star Trek, but Sci-Fi in general that he is second only to Star War`s Jar Jar Binks in beloved-ness and respect from the fans.

Or I could be slightly wrong in everything I just said.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-28-2011, 12:23 AM
There is one minor problem with making your own Denobulan or Cardassian or Romulan in the AlienGen and that is that if you do it and they later make that race its own choice with unique traits (or even its own faction), you're still an 'Alien'.

It's something that I'm kinda glum about.. since launch I've been playing a Romulan defector as my main.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

No special animations are needed.
Well, honestly, if they DID create a Denobulan species, it would be nice to get a couple custom emotes..

The creepy Denobulan mega-smile: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Filehlox_grinning.jpg

The Denobulan blowfish maneuver: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Filehlox_face.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I would really like to see Denobulan. Both as boff and captains. Please cryptic, make it so!
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I'd like zombies to rest in peace too.
Closed Thread