Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11 My mistake
06-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
No offense was intended my friend.
Sorry - :0 can't you see I'm a trekkie geek!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
The Imperial Klingon Navy has ALWAYS existed. The Klingon Defense Force (tlhIngan Hubbeq), comprises the Imperial Navy (tlhIngan logh yo'), Klingon Security (tlhIngan Hung), Klingon Marines (tlhIngan mangghom), and the Klingon Intelligence (tlhIngan valna'beq)
Umm, where outside FASA?
Kurn in TNG and Martok in DS9 called it "Klingon Defense Force", never anything else.
We've also seen more indication that Klingon military is a single unified force rather than several different ones like FASA indicates, where calling a marine an "Admiral" was for example considered an insult due to a rivalry between the different branches that don't seem to exist outside the old RPG materials.

Also the recent novels use the term "Imperial Intelligence", not "Klingon Intelligence".
These include "The Art fo the Impossible" covering the Betraka Nebula Incident or 2328-2346 as well as the Gorkon Novels which cover the time after Season 7 of DS9.

Again no offense intended.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Sorry - :0 can't you see I'm a trekkie geek!
So am I.
Otherwise I'd probably not have this stuff in the back of my head.:p
*EDIT: I just mentally seperate stuff from the shows, stuff from FASA, stuff from ADB and the recent stuff from Pocket books because they are all tiny pockets of their own soft canon, something that made my head spin for a while when I started to read about all those conflicting timelones and histories.*
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-25-2011, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Umm, where outside FASA?
Kurn in TNG and Martok in DS9 called it "Klingon Defense Force", never anything else.
We've also seen more indication that Klingon military is a single unified force rather than several different ones like FASA indicates, where calling a marine an "Admiral" was for example considered an insult due to a rivalry between the different branches that don't seem to exist outside the old RPG materials.

Also the recent novels use the term "Imperial Intelligence", not "Klingon Intelligence".
These include "The Art fo the Impossible" covering the Betraka Nebula Incident or 2328-2346 as well as the Gorkon Novels which cover the time after Season 7 of DS9.

Again no offense intended.
On this I must agree with you - house loyalies also cause serious confusion with the ship classifications.

Klingon society was divided along four lines:

The Ha'Dlbah, the lowest rank of the social order were primarily those conquered by the Klingons as "servitor" races.

The vumwl', were the administrators, weapon-smiths, etc. need for the functioning of the state.

The Suvwl', were seen as those intended to walk the warriors path.

The last group of the social order, was the chuQun, the nobility and people regarded as the only true members of the House.

Whereas the Great Houses ("Tuq") were in control of much the Empire's wealth and military influence they were able to direct their own shipbuilding contracts and lend these to the Empire during times of war. The B-10 Kar’harmer is the only example which comes to mind. Similarly smaller houses squabbled amongst themselves looking for opportunities to expand their holdings.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Here we can once again see how terminology changes from one piece of soft-canon to another:
the lowest rank in Klingon society is called Jeghpu'wI' in the recent novels, which means "conquered people".

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jeghpu%27wI%27

I am curious where the odd term for the B-10 comes from ("Kar’harmer").
Because even the official ADB material does not actually use it.
There the 4 B-10s are called "Invincible", Insatiable", "Inviolable" and "Invulnerable".
"Invincible" was the first and also the class name.
Did a fan translate it into tlhIngan Hol?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Here we can once again see how terminology changes from one piece of soft-canon to another:
the lowest rank in Klingon society is called Jeghpu'wI' in the recent novels, which means "conquered people".

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jeghpu%27wI%27

I am curious where the odd term for the B-10 comes from ("Kar’harmer").
Because even the official ADB material does not actually use it.
There the 4 B-10s are called "Invincible", Insatiable", "Inviolable" and "Invulnerable".
"Invincible" was the first and also the class name.
Did a fan translate it into tlhIngan Hol?
It appears from Geoffery Mandel - Federation Spaceflight Chronology, The Klingon Empire.