Lt. Commander
# 11
06-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
WARNING!! WALL OF TEXT COMING UP!

What can we learn from the demise of Star Wars Galaxies?

Well, first of all, people need to start listening to me. .
I didnt make it past that point
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
Yeah, you and hundreds of other people. Guess there is no shortage of self proclaimed experts on the internet. Sorry, but your opinion means no more to me than any other random joe.
I think 'hundreds' is overly generous here.

I don't know why many are suprised about this turn of events. I thought it was an inevitable, particularly with TOR right around the corner. Stil, not a bad list of advice to follow, for what it's worth.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Quote:
What can we learn from the demise of Star Wars Galaxies?

What can we learn? Easy:

1) Lucas Arts does not want TWO Star Wars based MMOs competing with each other at the same time. Especially one that HAS a 3D space combat system (and PvP); when the new one (that cost 150 - 300 million to make) only has a 2D rail shooter mini game that they are passing off as 'space combat'

2) SOE is 'playing ball' because they still will be running the 'Star Wars: Clone Wars' browser based MMO for Lucas Arts; and I'm pretty certain Lucas Arts gave SOE some other incentives.

3) SWToR will probably launch Live very soon after SWG's shutdown date in December. (I believe this because SOE probably had the Star Wars IP MMO license until February 2012; and SOE wouldn't pass up a couple ofmonths revenue unless Lucas Arts wanted an earlier shutdown date.

4) Had Lucas Arts wanted, they probably could have had both MMOs up (and while I'm not a fan of SWG at all - it was making money for SOE.) The shutdown decision is becuse Lucas Arts wants EVERY possible subscription it can get; and further, doesn't want comparisons between SWGs 3D space combat system and SWToR's 2D Rail Shooter space combat system (not to mention that SWG has more player ships then SWToR will have too.)
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey OP, being master of the obvious is nothing to brag about. There was absolutely no insight to be gained from your post that common sense didn't already say to me. Also this is the Star Trek Online Discussion section of the Star Trek Online Forums. Since you are master of the obvious you should see that this post does not belong here.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Well said Mojo. Anyone can sound conceited, but you have stated clear and consistant points.

Lt. Commander
# 16
06-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah..despite all its problems STG is still alive after all these years and is seemingly only being closed because of the release of TOR.

Although you make good points that companies should follow I get the vibe that your suggesting this in order to avoid failure..that never really happened unless I'm totally missing some part of this.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
I was playing Star Wars Galaxies just a few moments ago and everything you said equals truth.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Well, first of all, people need to start listening to me. I predicted the end of Galaxies, almost to the day.
no you didn't

Quote:
The fact is, I KNOW GAMES
thats what alot of people claim. doesn't make it true

Quote:
35 years of playing and making games has given me some insight into what works, and what doesnít.
not really. everyone has different views on what works and what doesn't. and what games have you made exactly. aside from that, playing games doesn't mean you know anything about how to make them.

Quote:
Second, DONíT make changes, especially sweeping ones, that no one asked for.
you said just about the opposite of what you should do here. it should read 'don't make changes just because people ask for them' mmo games evolve and change. that is the nature of online gaming. some work and some do not. SWG is an example of changes that didn't work. but then again SOE never had a good reputation to begin with and the game was losing subs from practically day one.

Quote:
Fourth, a subscriber in the hand is worth two you ďmightĒ get. DONíT alienate your paying customers in order to attract new ones. PAYING customers come FIRST. This is so in ANY business.
yes and no. risk is part of business. some pay off and some do not. but taking risks is the only way a business is going to get anywhere

Quote:
Sixth, stick to your Intellectual Property.
they did. lucasarts is not a company that allows anobody to do anything that they do not approve of.

Quote:
Interesting and entertaining features need to be expanded on, not ignored.
in a perfect world yes. in reality both time and resources - not to mention mechanics, don't always allow for this.

Quote:
Eighth, give ALL your players things to do. There are several kinds of players, Fighters, Explorers, Role Players, Builders, and so on. Donít cater only to one kind of gameplay, make the game deeper by adding elements to satisfy other kinds of players.
if you knew as much as you claim to about making games you would be well aware that this is not as easy as it sounds, nor feasable to please everyone.

Quote:
Ninth, add CONTENT, not fluff. Cosmetic and flashy things are nice, but they canít replace actual CONTENT
have to agree with you there, except that although it is fluff it is also content. you just can't do much with it

Quote:
Tenth, remember the GENRE. MMOs exist in large part for their ability to immerse the players in the game world
thats more theory than actual practice. immersion doesn't truly exist in mmo's. you can create a realistic world but thats it. immersion only goes so far

Quote:
Eleventh, donít be afraid to innovate, and try new things
indeed. though this requires risk and the contradiction of your 2nd and 4th points

Quote:
Twelfth, donít be afraid to borrow good ideas from other places
except when you start doing that you risk some other company suing you. even for copying things as basic as mechanics. like psychochild used to say when he worked at 3DO....'the legal departments of many companies are the cashcows of the company, from all the money they make by suing people that stole ideas from them'

Quote:
I have posted this in the forums of Star Trek Online, Champions Online and Lord of the Rings Online
in other words you want attention. leave the development to the developers

Quote:
truthfully I think the biggest lesson we can take from SWG is that no matter how strong your IP is, you can't sell a game based on that alone
you wouldn't think so.....except that both the star wars and star trek franchise based games have sold tens of millions of very poor quality games, that bought them because they saw what the game was based on and figured they would be a good game. so you should change that slightly to read that you can't sell an mmo based on the IP alone
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
In the beginning it was a great game. Then they did the major over haul and totally %*@!* it up. Rumor was thats when Lucas started having an active hand in it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Seems like an awful lot to learn, when you could have just said "don't be Sony".
Closed Thread