Lt. Commander
# 51
06-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
That's what I don't get about this thread...

Who cares if this guy has an inflated sense of self-importance, if his points are spot on? People are too hung up on playing the forum game instead of paying attention to the OP's points and carrying on a serious discussion.

The OP is correct on a lot of points--even if it's all rehashed from other forums, communities, etc. You all give him more credit than he gives himself by continuing to beat the Tribble.
Word bro.

More eloquently put than I could have done, but exactly my sentiments.
Lt. Commander
# 52
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Who cares if this guy has an inflated sense of self-importance, if his points are spot on?
Some of the people replying in this thread, obviously. And the next question would be, why do you care if they care?
Lt. Commander
# 53
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
I think right now, to me, #10 is very relevant to this game. The new option of selecting another ship from inside a runabout flies in direct opposition to this point. Why hasn't there been more thought about the continuity of this mechanic?

It's a nice feature, I guess, since I really don't get what it is for. I can see going to the shuttle bay (if indeed we get one), entering a shuttle and flying off. I can see a cut scene of returning. But I can't see moving to a ship that is not physically near enough, nor do I see buying one from there.

Shuttle to ship and back sure, but completely changing ships I can't logically see. This is just the latest function to be added this way. Beaming from the inside to the outside of the same ship has always been weird. Instead of fixing that they simply add more things like it.

I don't understand that.
A. It's on the TEST server, which means it's not finalized by any means.

B. It's a temporary mechanic (until an actual shuttlebay can be added) to alleviate the frustration of having to go all the way back to a shipyard to change from ship to shuttle and back again.

With that being said, I agree that we shouldn't be able to select a different ship from just anywhere, and I hope they alter it before that feature reaches the holodeck. Personally, I would have been content with shuttle interiors alone until the time for a more accurate shuttlebay presentation were to come along.
Lt. Commander
# 54
06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl
With that being said, I agree that we shouldn't be able to select a different ship from just anywhere, and I hope they alter it before that feature reaches the holodeck. Personally, I would have been content with shuttle interiors alone until the time for a more accurate shuttlebay presentation were to come along.
I agree. But, I'm betting we get what is on Tribble.

It does two things that are more important than game contiinuity. Both of which make money.

It allows for the buying of a ship from the store and immediately equiping it.

It encourages more "on the fly" respec token purchases.

I hope you are right, and they will limit it to shuttles and your presently equiped ship. But, the cynic in me doubts it.

As to the "beam out of the same ship" thing, just change the cut scene. Maybe something like the opposite of the warp in animation. Instead of zooming into the ship, you zoom out. Don't let the zoom get much past the outer edges of the ship and fade over into resetting for space. The engine does this now in a couple of the missions (well, not this exactly, but a similar mechanic).
Lt. Commander
# 55
06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
But in the end, the fans win out if the second game is better, right? To most outside observers, TOR is looking pretty good. While we won't know if the hype will add up yet, everything I've heard sounds great.

So what IF another company got the rights for a new Star Trek MMO?
As someone who LIKED the LUcas Arts Space Combat sims that were ALWAYS part of their Star Wars games of the past, I don't find a Star Wars MMO with a 2D rail-shooter "better" myself. As for SWToR, about the only innovative element is 100% voice over, period.

most of te reviews state the same thing, if you love WoW style gameplay with a Star Wars skin; SWToR is for you. It's not a 'sandbox' like SWG was - nor does it have a real 3D space combat system (again despite being based on the Star Wars IP.

I honestly never cared for SWG; but, closing down something that was obviously making money just because you have a newer version (and in a diffrent era); with a diffrent style of gameplay, and which had enough of a playerbase enjoying what was there CAN'T be a 'win' for gamers. A 'win' would have been BOTH games continuing to run, and lat the gamers make their own decision as to trying/sticking with one or both. On a corporate and profit level though, it's a bad idea when part of the reason is that Lucas Arts wnats the prestige of being the newest greatest MMO (they are wanting WoW levl subscription /retention numbers - no company spends 150 - 300 million on an MMO NOT to be #1); therefore, it doesn't make sense to have two competing MMOs in the same IP.

But again, I don't see gamers loosing a game that some obviously enjoyed as a 'win', just because a second newer game is being released.
Lt. Commander
# 56
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman
most of te reviews state the same thing, if you love WoW style gameplay with a Star Wars skin; SWToR is for you. It's not a 'sandbox' like SWG was - nor does it have a real 3D space combat system (again despite being based on the Star Wars IP.
I loved WoW and look forward to an immersive MMO experience like it. Saying the game will be like the most sucessful MMO of all time is actually quite a good thing. Maybe not for you, but for 10s of millions of MMO players.

Actually, from what I saw in the Sith starting area, it is very much a sandbox with instanced play integrally intwined with the missions.

The zones are gigantic and filled with life, the transition from sandbox to personal instance is simply walking seemlessly into a room. There is quite a bit of innovation in the game. And yes, it is really nice to hear most NPCs talk to you.

The game has a world immersion feel that this game could only wish for. I would have given anything to have this IP set in a game like that. I think around a million others did too at launch. They left, I'm still here trying, but for the life of me, I wonder why sometimes.
Lt. Commander
# 57
06-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
As someone who LIKED the LUcas Arts Space Combat sims that were ALWAYS part of their Star Wars games of the past, I don't find a Star Wars MMO with a 2D rail-shooter "better" myself. As for SWToR, about the only innovative element is 100% voice over, period.

I honestly never cared for SWG; but, closing down something that was obviously making money just because you have a newer version (and in a diffrent era); with a diffrent style of gameplay, and which had enough of a playerbase enjoying what was there CAN'T be a 'win' for gamers. A 'win' would have been BOTH games continuing to run, and lat the gamers make their own decision as to trying/sticking with one or both. On a corporate and profit level though, it's a bad idea when part of the reason is that Lucas Arts wnats the prestige of being the newest greatest MMO (they are wanting WoW levl subscription /retention numbers - no company spends 150 - 300 million on an MMO NOT to be #1); therefore, it doesn't make sense to have two competing MMOs in the same IP.

But again, I don't see gamers loosing a game that some obviously enjoyed as a 'win', just because a second newer game is being released.
I played SWG for 5 years. I was mayor of Salanar City, Naboo on Corbantis (after convincing the city to vote for me, then turning it around and forcing a faction change--it was epic). I also beta'd JTL--and loved it. There was nothing more enjoyable in SWG for me than hopping into my yacht and throwing parties. I loved SWG.

But it's time to let go and move onto something new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
Some of the people replying in this thread, obviously. And the next question would be, why do you care if they care?
+10 points for continuing the "game."
Lt. Commander
# 58
06-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I've had an account since the beginning, and I think I can say that it is a whole lot better now than it was when it came out. The turning point came when Dan Stahl took over as executive producer. The first guy, who shall remain nameless, totally screwed it up and was taking STO in a completely different direction than what the players wanted. I think the OP's points apply more to what STO was than what it is now. When STO first came out, it had no real end game content, it was buggy as hell and many issues were largely ignored. Many of the things that should've been in the game from the very beginning simply weren't there. It was as if the game was still in a Beta status, but the decision was made to go ahead and launch it anyway. Since Dan took over, we've been getting more of the classic Trek stuff that we want, there are ways to get some of them in-game without spending our hard earned real dollars on them, bugs are being addressed and fixed (at the very least a solution is being actively looked at), new content is being added, old content is being remastered and made into what it should've been from the beginning, and, most importantly, the devs actually listen to the player/fan base and will not add something that a majority of the players don't want (enterprise J and T5 Constitution are good examples) and they will add something that the player/fan base does want (new KDF content, new ground combat). This is my first MMO, so I can't compare it to anything, but one of my favorite features, is that you can go into tribble and test new features before they go live.

To make a long story short, the developers at Cryptic seem to take a vested interest in what they are doing, and money doesn't seem to be the driving force behind their actions. That is the difference between Cryptic and SOE, and as long as you properly care for and remain passionate about something, it is almost certain to succeed. STO has a long way to go, but it is definitely moving in the right direction now.
Lt. Commander
# 59
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
This thread is being closed due to violations of the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Closed Thread