Lt. Commander
One of the things that always bugged me with the Klingon ships is that they've never had ship catagories like the Federation ship types. This was kind of ok when there was only 1 skin for each ship type, but now that we are getting more and more varaints added, the naming system is making much less sence, for example, the B'rel class Bird of Prey having the B'rel, D'Gavama and Koloth skins, therefore, would it be possable to rename the variants to something like as follows:-

Bird of Preys

Light Raider - B'rel, Kolath, D'Gavama
Raider - Quldun, Mchor
Attack Raider - Norgh
Fast Attack Raider - Ki'tang
Strike Raider - Hegh-Ta, Hah

Raptors

Raptor - Somraw
Heavy Raptor - Qorgh
Tactical Raptor - Pach
Advanced Raptor - Qin, Birok

Battlecruisers

Battlecruiser - K'tanco
Heavy Battlecruiser - K'T'Linga/D7, K'T'Linga refit
Assault Battlecruiser - Vorcha, Torkaht
Command Battlecruiser - Negh'var, Qudaj

Carriers

Carrier - Vo'Quv, Vod'leh
Battle Carrier - Karfi

Most of the VA ships have specific catagoes, like Patrol Cruiser or Support vessel, so these are ok. I genuinly belive that sorting out the ship types like this will make it much easier for players to tell the ship types much better than the current system whilst at the same time make the system more logical when we have different variants in each type. The names above are just suggestions, the names could obviously be altered as required.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I have to say, that sounds like a good idea. The ship names are already all over the skill tree, it'll probably be a good idea to make it more generic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-23-2011, 12:28 AM
It would be good to organise the trees a little more if only for easy of glancing at their position in the skill trees.

Though I would suggest a minor change to the order of your battlecruiser line.

Light Battlecruiser - K'tanco
Battlecruiser - K'T'inga/D7, K'T'inga refit
Assault Battlecruiser - Vorcha, Torkaht
Heavy Battlecruiser - Negh'var, Qudaj
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-23-2011, 01:26 AM
This is a great idea, however I'd like to respectfully propose two changes to the suggestions that have been made so far.
The plural of "Bird of Prey" is "Birds of Prey", not "Bird of Preys".
The Vor'cha was actually called an "Attack Cruiser" in TNG, not an "Assault Battlecruiser", maybe something like "Attack Battlecruiser" might be a good compromise between its canon designation and the need to keep in line with the Battlecruiser designations in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
Command Battlecruiser - Negh'var, Qudaj
I think this one should just be Command Cruiser. It's Klingon, they know what they're for. This might be my federation POV talking, but the battle part seems redundant on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
I think this one should just be Command Cruiser. It's Klingon, they know what they're for. This might be my federation POV talking, but the battle part seems redundant on this one.
It's just to ensure there is no confusion between the Federation and Klingon cruisers thats all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
Maybe, but maybe this is just the way Klingons think of their ships in terms of terminology.

When Duras (improperly) repeated Archer's words in "Judgement" he said Archer had referred to his ship as "Battlecruiser Enterprise".

Also the Klingons in Star Trek 3 referred to the Enterprise as "Federation Battlecruiser" when they saw her on sensors.
So it seems to be the typical way for Klingons to call certain ships battlecruisers the Federation might simply call cruisers (and the Romulans possibly Warbirds).
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I do agree that some sort of better organization needs to be done with the KDF's ship structure and skill tree. I would also suggest renaming the second skin for the B'rel. The Koloth class for years in soft canon was a refit of the K't'inga to have more powerful systems to deal with newer better weapons. Not a bird of prey. Not only does fixing it bring it more in line with sot canon but it also opens up that very needed spot for the retrofit of the D-7/K't'inga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Beta
The Koloth-class was a type Klingon ship that served the role as a frigate in the 24th century. It was based on a long line of variants of the old D7 class battle cruisers. They served a vital role of a support ship within the Klingon Defense Force by providing a weapon enhancer that increased the damage done by a fleets weapons on enemies of the Klingon Empire.

The noted differences within this variant were the its warp nacelles and its main boom. The boom was enlarged to house additional equipment which were needed to power the weapon energy boosters. The Koloth-class were armed with disruptors and photon torpedoes.
That this was ignored, and that the skill tree, names, and organization of classes can be so confusing puts more weight onto the 'after thought' they gave the KDF after they started tossing out that lie about us originally being PvP only.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
I do agree that some sort of better organization needs to be done with the KDF's ship structure and skill tree. I would also suggest renaming the second skin for the B'rel. The Koloth class for years in soft canon was a refit of the K't'inga to have more powerful systems to deal with newer better weapons. Not a bird of prey. Not only does fixing it bring it more in line with sot canon but it also opens up that very needed spot for the retrofit of the D-7/K't'inga.

That this was ignored, and that the skill tree, names, and organization of classes can be so confusing puts more weight onto the 'after thought' they gave the KDF after they started tossing out that lie about us originally being PvP only.
The only soft canon that used this was "Armada 2", which Cryptic cannot use due to license problems.
So they CAN'T use it no matter how much anyone of use would want it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Either way I personally would prefer a different name. When I first read on Koloth class on one of the wiki's about the interwebs for STO I was excited, I loved the class in Armada II, my disappointment at it being a BoP and not a Cruiser was, rather large.