Lt. Commander
# 1 Lulz sec "Disbanding"
06-26-2011, 11:37 AM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hacking-gro...011954656.html

Interesting. Is it the end of the recent wave of attacks? Have they finally been owned?

Most importantly - do you feel STO is safe at last?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltronus
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hacking-gro...011954656.html

Interesting. Is it the end of the recent wave of attacks? Have they finally been owned?

I never got the impression that STO was ever threatened by Lulzsec, but ya it appears that the attacks are over...for now..
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltronus
Why bother attacking something that's already broken? Zing! :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-26-2011, 12:21 PM
They didn't attack STO for the same reason people don't write viruses for Macs, it isn't wort the effort if only a small percentage of people get inconvenienced.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Never heard of 'em before, actually.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-26-2011, 03:21 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
So, they are saying they are messed up in the head? I could have told them that....
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
I actually had a conversation with a friend not too long ago about LulzSec. We had a debate over whether the group should be punished for what they've done, or commended for their efforts. His arguement was that, regardless of their intentions or what they did with the info they acquired that their actions are still illegal, and that they should be brought to jusitce. I did some research beforehand and from what I could tell, they really haven't done anything for personal gain (From what I could find, mind you). They havent used any information they acquired (To our knowledge). In fact, when they hacked into the Arizona PD's server systems, they actually torrented that info. They did that because they were in opposition to SB 1070 (The law in Arizona which basically states that if you are not caucasion, you need to have registration papers on you or you will go to jail). My stance on the arguement was that, while what they did WAS illegal, they shouldn't come to be punished because all they've been doing was exposing existing security risks to major corporations. My friend and I went back and forth on this debate, it was actually a really good one, wish I could post it here.

My thoughts on what I mentioned last, using Sony as an example: LulzSec hacked into Sony to expose their security flaws, and obtained millions of users information.. But none of that information was made.. And to date, I havent found anyone claiming they were done harm by the hacking attempt. This leads us to believe that LulzSec did nothing with that info (At least, we assume). Now, what if someone else hacked Sony and obtained that information but had a much more sinister motive? Kind of scary, no? LulzSec did it to, as they say, show Sony their flaws so they could fix it. The random person/group hacking in did it to obtain information and use it to their advantage (I.E. Withdrawing money from bank accounts, selling identities and such).

Thoughts? Comments?

As to all the points I made: If you find any sources that says otherwise to what I've stated, please post! This is a very interesting subject for me and I would much like to read up on it!
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torankusu
Thoughts? Comments?
I dont really care what intentions they have, or if they gain from it or not. They steal information that does not belong to them and inconvenience people for no good reason (they DDOS'd eve for goodness sake, and peed people off who just wanted to play a GAME)

By your reasoning people should be able to rob banks and redistibute money as long as the dont gain from it themselves.

Lulzsec are nothing but a bunch of wannabe script kiddies and the sooner they get caught the better.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
By your reasoning people should be able to rob banks and redistibute money as long as the dont gain from it themselves.
Actually, the only information that they distributed (Again, from what I was able to find), was the information they acquired from the Arizona PD server systems. They got names, adresses, phone numbers, police policies, procedures, intel, and a lot of other things that I can't quite rememeber without the site directly in front of me. They torrented that information because they were in opposition to SB 1070.
Closed Thread