Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Just watching my TNG DVDs and got to the episode "Conspiracy". I was just thinking how they could have made at least a season on this, but instead they brought in the Borg.

Maybe STO could do a series of featured eps on them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
Just watching my TNG DVDs and got to the episode "Conspiracy". I was just thinking how they could have made at least a season on this, but instead they brought in the Borg.

Maybe STO could do a series of featured eps on them.
this sounds good!

"What would you do when you can't trust your bridge Officer?"
I could see one of the episodes with trying deal with an attack within your own ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-26-2011, 07:24 PM
The Borg were actually an offshoot of the Conspiracy storyline.

However, it became too expensive a prospect to make the 'hive mind species' the protagonists would be facing zerg-style organics... so instead they went for cybernetic special effects which were easier to put into the show's production.

That's how we got the Borg.

Quoted from Memory Alpha...
Quote:
Although the episode closed on a suspenseful note, no resolution has yet been seen. When the Borg were being created a year later, it was initially suggested that they in fact be the aliens from these episodes, a race of mechanical insectoids. (Trek: The Unauthorized Behind-The-Scenes Story of The Next Generation). This was also discussed in Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion, which states that the aliens and the homing signal the parasites began were originally supposed to lead in to what would become the Borg, who would be an insectoid race and the parasites be a first wave, but budgetary reasons made them into cyborgs instead.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but they wouldn't have had to have gone into all that elaborate crap of cyber-insects or showing the bugs much at all. But I guess this is trek and they didn't want to a "deeper" storyline about infiltration and espionage and the like.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
hmm O_o ...anybody else seeing a connection to the Goa'uld here?
Snake jumps in the head, takes over the body etc... ?

If you want infiltration storys... watch Stargate SG1, there is a lot of then actually (i am just re-watching SG-1 at the moment, and it is sooo much more fun then SGU...)


Also, the signal they send might have been a warning "stay the frak away! they shoot their own people in the head if they look funny!"
and after checking out the corpse and lefotvers from the Aliens Starfleet might have invented a screening method for those things included in the latest Transporter LCARS OS and Security Scanners.

If they look at naked people on Airports these days, i don't want to know what you will have to go through to enter a Starship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
hmm O_o ...anybody else seeing a connection to the Goa'uld here?
Snake jumps in the head, takes over the body etc... ?
Except - ST:TNG's Conspiracy airerd in 1988.

Stargate the film didn't appear in theatres until 1994; and the Stargate TV series that expanded on the Goa'uld from the 1994 film in 1997.

So if anything, SG-1 was later (although parasitic beings taking control have been a staple in science fiction LONG before Star Trek or Stargate.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I always thought that one of the TNG movies should have been a continuation of Conspiracy. It would have made a better story than Insurrection at least.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Except - ST:TNG's Conspiracy airerd in 1988.

Stargate the film didn't appear in theatres until 1994; and the Stargate TV series that expanded on the Goa'uld from the 1994 film in 1997.

So if anything, SG-1 was later (although parasitic beings taking control have been a staple in science fiction LONG before Star Trek or Stargate.)

Robert Heinlein The puppet masters 1951. Good book not so good movie but i give it the benefit of the doubt.

They were external parasites. They had an interesting way of resolving the invasion. i wont give it away here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
Yeah, but they wouldn't have had to have gone into all that elaborate crap of cyber-insects or showing the bugs much at all. But I guess this is trek and they didn't want to a "deeper" storyline about infiltration and espionage and the like.
It was more like, as others have said, the budget didn't allow for it. Not to mention the writers' strike that occurred during TNG's second season, which, IMHO, the second season of TNG seems so bumpy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-28-2011, 04:24 AM
it was quite a dark story and i seem to remember they said it did not go over to well with the viewers ate the time so they just left it.

its a shame as it had potential but the tone of the episode is very different to the rest of the first two seasons.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.