Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
The story line may have been a cool thing to follow up, but dont forget how lame the 'insectoids' where in that episode, seriously it looked like something out of a clay moddled 'Sinbad' movie.

Not to say I didnt enjoy it (specially the exploding head lol) but it would have been awkward to use such poor quality props in future episodes.

And it did bring us the borg, which I think was the best thing in TNG by far.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Iremember watching that we for the first time (back in high school; yes, I'm old...) me and my firends were juiced up on lil' debbies and soda...we watched the last part where Remmick exploded and were all like 'Whoa!!!111!!!!"

I thought it was badass.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man
Iremember watching that we for the first time (back in high school; yes, I'm old...) me and my firends were juiced up on lil' debbies and soda...we watched the last part where Remmick exploded and were all like 'Whoa!!!111!!!!"

I thought it was badass.
That scene was banned in the UK for quite some time. They are very protective of us, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
hmm O_o ...anybody else seeing a connection to the Goa'uld here?
Snake jumps in the head, takes over the body etc... ?

If you want infiltration storys... watch Stargate SG1, there is a lot of then actually (i am just re-watching SG-1 at the moment, and it is sooo much more fun then SGU...)

Also, the signal they send might have been a warning "stay the frak away! they shoot their own people in the head if they look funny!"
and after checking out the corpse and lefotvers from the Aliens Starfleet might have invented a screening method for those things included in the latest Transporter LCARS OS and Security Scanners.

If they look at naked people on Airports these days, i don't want to know what you will have to go through to enter a Starship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Except - ST:TNG's Conspiracy airerd in 1988.

Stargate the film didn't appear in theatres until 1994; and the Stargate TV series that expanded on the Goa'uld from the 1994 film in 1997.

So if anything, SG-1 was later (although parasitic beings taking control have been a staple in science fiction LONG before Star Trek or Stargate.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
Robert Heinlein The puppet masters 1951. Good book not so good movie but i give it the benefit of the doubt.

They were external parasites. They had an interesting way of resolving the invasion. i wont give it away here.
I think it's safe to say that both ideas were spawned from Heinlein's work. And I actually quite liked the movie. It was better than most of the Body Snatcher remakes they were doing at the time and definitely better than the one done later with Nicol Kidman. It was even better than the Faculty which also had a similar theme.

Lt. Commander
# 15
06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
It still makes me laugh that they all cringed when riker threw magots at them, considering they had all been munching away moments earlier.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
That scene was banned in the UK for quite some time. They are very protective of us, lol.
How did they edit/mask it? (Just cuious)
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I cringed when that scene came on (head blast). Not because it bothered me (though I was spoiled by all the "clean" stuns and disintegrations on TOS), but because my mom was also watching and I thought she would forbid me watching the show after that (she didn't, though she made a point of watching the next several episodes to make sure that was not the norm).
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
I cringed when that scene came on (head blast). Not because it bothered me (though I was spoiled by all the "clean" stuns and disintegrations on TOS), but because my mom was also watching and I thought she would forbid me watching the show after that (she didn't, though she made a point of watching the next several episodes to make sure that was not the norm).
Oh yeah. Can't have heads exploding on a weekly basis.

Lt. Commander
# 19
06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Depends on if you include the Star Trek books as canon (soft or otherwise), the parasites in the episode were explained in the Star Trek Worlds of Deep Space Nine Volume 2.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Wo...ne,_Volume_Two

Its a good read that ties in a lot of "loose threads" left open in the TNG / DS9 series.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
it was quite a dark story and i seem to remember they said it did not go over to well with the viewers ate the time so they just left it.

its a shame as it had potential but the tone of the episode is very different to the rest of the first two seasons.
I guess that's why I want to see more...I'm looking back at it after seeing darker more "adult" scifi...also I'm 24 years older.

I'm in the camp that would love to see a Section 31 series...something that shows the ST universe as something less than perfectly antiseptic. I know DS9 was better at this than TNG, but still pretty clean.