Lt. Commander
# 101
06-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarborough
You sir, are a friend of life.... I was unaware of the walk... and there is a keybind you can use, but you have to hold it down while you move.

Now if Cryptic can teach the toons to bend their knees a bit more...
/bind (key) ++walk

turns (key) into a walk toggle
Lt. Commander
# 102
06-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlis
You think the rating is low now just wait till the release of the new ground combat. Tried it on tribble and it sucks. Always someone trying to reinvent the wheel. Nothing to look forward to till The OLd Republic now.
Well first of all I guess you will be upset with Old Republic, as far as I have seen and been told by friends of mine that are following that game. Have mentioned that "OR" will have a simluar feature so I guess you will be not liking that too.

Speaking to those about social, I have played WOW and EVE. Each one was a different game in the sence that they appeal to a different group of people that play each one for different reason. Each one has a different type of game mode and look, one for Space and Cororate take over and the other factions fighting using majic and swords and was designed for the D&D people. I know that is a high level view of them, but I enjoyed them for what they are and to be honest each one has it's ups and downs.

But looking at STO I am reminded when trying to compare it to them that each of those MMO been out longer than STO and had more dev time before being launched. WOW for instance if you played that from the beginning it needed improvements and the same with EVE and they both have gotten them over the years. STO has less DEV time before launch than either one of them and is quickly making up ground. I believe Season 4 will a step closer.

And this is me speaking here When I try to compare STO to any of them I realize yes there are things I would like to see added that I saw in them, but then I also realize that there are things in STO that I would like to see in them. Here is my point we must stop this let me compare STO against other MMO and wish STO was like them. To me that is like taking two fruits and Apple and a Banna and saying that the Apple is not as good or is bad because it's not like the Banna or vise versa. Each one has good points and bad points each one will satisfy a different hunger but both are good for you to eat.

When STO has been out on the market as long as WOW and some of the others then we can be realy be critical on how it is doing.

Do I think STO has come thru with what I wanted....NO! Has it completly failed.....NO! Does it have the possibly of becoming more....YES! And right now if I was to score the STO I personally would give it an over all 6. Because to have a 10 would reguire STO to have all the different assists of PVE, PVP and zone combat (Moving Front), and all the things we call Star Trek. So by me giving it 6 brings me to reality knowing that there is room to grow and become more than it is now. Being a Star Trek fan for life if I used my heart I would give it a 10, but I understand it has come short in some of the basics of Star Trek. DEVs are working on it and those things are coming. And for you "OR" Folks even after what....4 to 5 years of DEV time before it is even released. It too won;t be perfect no MMO is when it first comes out. But over time the DEVs make a point to make it perfect and I believe that is what we have happening here at STO, only if they as one poster said stick to what they can do best and try not to be another WOW or EVE or any of the other MMO's out there.
Lt. Commander
# 103
06-28-2011, 06:21 AM
I found the review to be honest and very accurate
Lt. Commander
# 104
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlis
Keep in mind that the only people raving about it are the ones that go to tribble to try it. There is a vast majority of people that dont go to tribble and are going to get slammed by this update.
And how are they going to get 'slammed' - RPG mode plays the same as Ground Combat does now; so if they don't like shooter mode they don't need to switch to it. Also, I think the majority will LIKE that weapons and energy types have their own new sound effects and new graphic effects.

So agin, I understand you don't care fpor it; but honestly, I'm at a loss to understand why, or what you think was changed for the worse (assuming you've actually tried the changes yourself for more than 2 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 105
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria
so the basis of the example is managing systems = RTS? i really just don't see what you listed as RTS elements. Firing arcs is like not being able to attack behind you. Shield facings is just more complex armor. I think energy level is the closest to an RTS element but seems like a major stretch.

When i hear RTS i think of gathering resources to build structures that help me to build special combat unit that then in turn allow me to defeat and conquer my opponent(s). However, most of what you listed just seems like complex takes on traditional mmo elements.

Like i said maybe i just don't get it.
And that is what I think of when RTS is mentioned. And I'm sure it's what most people who've played an RTS thinks of. It's about resource gathering. It's about base building. It's about pumping out unit after unit and sending them out to kill or be killed. There's nothing like that in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 106
06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
The issue at hand is that the score posted is not just "that reviewers" score, it is MMORPG.com's score. So even if a different person reviews it, the score should not actually drop unless something like the NGE happens to a game.
A version of the NGE did happen. They call it the C Store.
Lt. Commander
# 107
06-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I felt that they could have delayed the re-review untill after the launch of Season 4 but that's my opinion. If they knew it was coming out in a matter of months then it would have been only right to revisit after such changes were enacted and major new content was available. We all know that before the launch of season 4 that ground combat is lacking... no need to re-review that I say.

Oh well though, I know I like STO and the team at cryptic has been doing a wonderful job of updating one of my favorite MMOs of all time.
Lt. Commander
# 108
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vraesh View Post
Pretty much every MMO has a game store now, so if game store = NGE then every game has had one. And in case you arent aware, STO's prices are actually cheaper than some other games stores.
Lt. Commander
# 109
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria
so the basis of the example is managing systems = RTS? i really just don't see what you listed as RTS elements. Firing arcs is like not being able to attack behind you. Shield facings is just more complex armor. I think energy level is the closest to an RTS element but seems like a major stretch.

When i hear RTS i think of gathering resources to build structures that help me to build special combat unit that then in turn allow me to defeat and conquer my opponent(s). However, most of what you listed just seems like complex takes on traditional mmo elements.

Like i said maybe i just don't get it.
Not all RTS games even have multiple units or you having to construct them. Some Turn-based ones don't either.

However, if you want to talk about unit construction, there are always carriers and managing your Aux power level for maximum production (unless this aspect of the game was nerfed).

That said, I didn't say STO was an RTS--just that it has some mechanics that have sister gameplay systems in RTS games.

This is in reference to STO's space game however.

Admittedly, STO's ground game is an unhappy mixture of a X-Com knockoff and SRPG at the moment. Kind of like Star Trek: Away team
Lt. Commander
# 110
06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vraesh View Post
the C store has been in game since launch, and given the presence of the C store in champs online it wasn't exactly a huge suprise at launch. this hardly equiates to the NGE, which took a basic game that people had considerable investment in and TOTALLY changed it.

the C stores always been here, and isn't gonna go anywhere. truthfully if you dislike microtransactions, I reccomend saveing yourself some pain and quitting MMOs. heck stop playing video games, given the DLC fad for most games these days