Lt. Commander
# 11
06-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It cannot be accurate if it says the game is improving and yet lowered the score from the previous review.
It can't be accurate if the reviewer is considering the space combat to be similar to Homeworld.
Did the reviewer even play the game or did she just fish out the screen shots from the first featured series and sample some of the more whiney feedback threads here?
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
There's many reasons why I stopped visiting MMORPG.com years ago.The idiotic timing of this review and baffling score certainly show that those reasons are still valid...
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
There's many reasons why I stopped visiting MMORPG.com years ago.The idiotic timing of this review and baffling score certainly show that those reasons are still valid...
Even if you dont normally visit the site, you should still post that kind of feedback when things like this happen. They do actually change their articles sometimes when they find out the person who did the review didnt do it thoroughly.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Even if you dont normally visit the site, you should still post that kind of feedback when things like this happen. They do actually change their articles sometimes when they find out the person who did the review didnt do it thoroughly.
Only after they get exposed in a hilarious way.. e.g. playing 2h not finishing even the tutorial, but delivering a "fully fledged" review. :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-27-2011, 07:30 AM
From looking at both reviews, the 2 things that seem to of altered are the customer service (which it originally stated was good) and the value for money, which seems to of been reduced (most likely due to the C-store additions since the original review). It is hard to tell for sure what score has dropped though as the original one's are not listed, even if those 2 things did factor into the score, they shouldn't of dropped the score by as much as they did though. The user reviews have dropped over the year as well, with 'service', 'value' and 'ability to RPG' been amongst the main issues.

I generally don't look at MMORPG reviews or hype though as they very rarely are as objective as they could be (althoguh it has improved over the last year or so), but I do see why the score could drop using the method to judge the game that they use if things like bad customer support and the increasing use of the C-store is taken into account, as well as the fact that the klingon side has not improved drastically since they last reviewed the game where it was listed as a problem. (Although again, season 4 is addressing this somewhat).

Overall, I'd say the game has certainly improved since launch (its undeniable), but the game does still has issues and negative features that pull it down, lets see what season 4 brings, as well as what the new company that owns Cryptic does :-)
Lt. Commander
# 16 The truth be told
06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Lets get real people. The game has improved in the segments the review speaks on but still lacks the real girth of what a mmo requires to stay in many peoples graces. I found the review fair and balance despite many people saying the game has gotten better. The only place to go is up from a bad start and a bad hype of missed promises and truth be told a lot of half truths.

The game is dull in ground combat and there is a lack of mmo in this segment of quick ground content as well as only run and gun scenes. the ratio of run and gun to diplomacy is 10 to 2. They even gave sto praise on the voice over when in fact its small compared to other mmo games.

Content is still weak and short. The foundry is a joke in my opinion as i do not pay 15 bucks a month to write my own content. its an added feature yes, but the game itself must always have equal to or a little less then this foundry in content. STO has had a dry spell in game content for more then 4 months. so repeating a mission for that long of a time is not so cute after your 20th try.

Truth be told the cons still over take the pros and while some see this as complaining. Many will see this as buyer beware. The lack of true content, true social function, true space interaction and small zone area still make this game more along the lines of RTS.

If space was really space then you could see some upside to the game. zone concentration and small hitch battles make this more rts then mmo for now. Some players go on future promise but many go on what you bring to the table now.

Some worlds are vast with little features to perform inside them. many areas including space are small zones with no features or true space attributes from star trek. lets not also forget about the lack of story and no player interaction to this so called war/incursion/klingon & federation blip going on.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
I found the review fail and balance
LOL, you got it right, although by accident
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
The game is dull in ground combat ....
So let me get this straight. You know ground combat is being revamped(Season 4 goes live in 2 weeks), but your still complaining about it just to have something to complain about?
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
To be honest, I think they got it pretty close to correct and left out some real problems I still see with STO. What I believe some of the posters hangups are is that the score went down. That is probably due to the fact that the previous score was a bit too high in the 1st place.

With the problems of the constant NERFs/CHANGES to PVP and PVE difficulty, etc, no end game content, etc the score, now, is probably a little more correct in it's assumptions.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-27-2011, 08:38 AM
What are these other "great" MMOs? I played SWG pre and post NGE and I like STO better. I tried WoW but never subscribed because I didn't like it. This game is as social as you want, or don't want. I like that. What is the supposed gold standard? Sales? Remember, Barbie games outsell most but that doesn't make them awesome.