Lt. Commander
# 21
06-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Comparing a score given at launch to the score given a year later is an unfair comparison. I buy a car new, upgrade the parts and keep it excellent condition, the value can still depreciate over time. The game improved, but it did not keep up with the improvement expected over the course of a year, hence the lower score.

The review is fair.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Comparing a score given at launch to the score given a year later is an unfair comparison. I buy a car new, upgrade the parts and keep it excellent condition, the value can still depreciate over time. The game improved, but it did not keep up with the improvement expected over the course of a year, hence the lower score.

The review is fair.
The previous score wasnt a launch score, it was given around the time of Season 3. The launch score was lower than the previous score. So somehow the score has gone down between then and now, even though the game has improved.
Lt. Commander
# 23 truth in function
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayngo_Fhett
So let me get this straight. You know ground combat is being revamped(Season 4 goes live in 2 weeks), but your still complaining about it just to have something to complain about?
not really. if you read my post and the article you would have seen what is said about season 4. Lets not forget that alot of attributes are on delay after season 4 upload so i consider it season 3.5. The ground combat update is still going to be run and gun focus. small attributes that deal with the oh i cant see you but still shoot at you are being address but, no content in depth after 4 months. if you want that sort of rts function only then the game is for you like the article says. its not a complaint just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
What are these other "great" MMOs? I played SWG pre and post NGE and I like STO better. I tried WoW but never subscribed because I didn't like it. This game is as social as you want, or don't want. I like that. What is the supposed gold standard? Sales? Remember, Barbie games outsell most but that doesn't make them awesome.
the gold standard is wow social network, eve online social network, swg social network, **** social network, warhammer online social networking. all these mmo's have better social networking areas and are geared towards guilds. STO has a small frame work to social interaction and guild function. They may be building it up but we are talking about what is in existance right now and not what might come in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The previous score wasnt a launch score, it was given around the time of Season 3. The launch score was lower than the previous score. So somehow the score has gone down between then and now, even though the game has improved.
in all honesty that score was based upon the foundry and the hype surrounding it. after all the smoke cleared many features that where put on delay for unknown time and the game is given a score not based upon what might come but what is in the game now. STO still lacks the polish the game most desperately needs.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Social network??? I want to play a game, not find a wife. I have Facebook for social network, and friends in real life. STO lets us team up with others just the same. Many SWG players used Ventrilo same as STO.

The word mediocre was used in the rating. That is one opinion, it doesn't happeen to be mine.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Solok
I found this review to be both fair, and accurate. Sorry, its just the truth.
not its not the truth, half the time they dont even know what is going on and attempt to make it sound like they know it all
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
in all honesty that score was based upon the foundry and the hype surrounding it.
Except the previous review didnt even mention the Foundry. So...yeah.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It cannot be accurate if it says the game is improving and yet lowered the score from the previous review.

It can be accurate if you consider the original score they gave it to be a tad high, which I do.

I love this game, I have been playing since closed beta, so I'm not trying to hate here, I am just being objective.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
Social network??? I want to play a game, not find a wife. I have Facebook for social network, and friends in real life. STO lets us team up with others just the same. Many SWG players used Ventrilo same as STO.

The word mediocre was used in the rating. That is one opinion, it doesn't happeen to be mine.
Compared to other MMO's though, it is mediocre. You can happily play STO without ever having to interact with another player and it is much harder in STO to actually interact with other players due to the huge ammount of instancing in the game.

I'm aware that many players do not play STO to meet other people and some players enjoy the fact that STO does not try to get players to interact with each other like other MMO's, but it still means that it is far harder to meet people and interact with them. Some of my fondest memories in MMO's have been bumping into players whilst getting overwealmed by mobs and them saving my life, or meeting high level player in starter zones giving out free gear to help out new players, infact one of the best friends I made online was in EnB when a player came and resurected me after I'd died, these kind of events are impossable in STO due to the way the instancing is handled, thus, they are correct in thier judgement regarding the ability to interact with players in STO, its much closer to a single player online game than a multi-player online game.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS1976
not its not the truth, half the time they dont even know what is going on and attempt to make it sound like they know it all

Really? Because I love this game and have been playing since closed beta, and if I had to objectively rate the game I would give it a similar score or lower.

Too many of you jockey for favor with the devs rather than being honest, which hurts the games development.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I have to ask this reviewer, did you play the game, or just take notes from the last reviewer. If you did play, it couldn't have been for long enough. I've only skimmed it, but does she make one mention of the feature episodes. She mentions persistent bugs. Where, I haven't noticed many, and those that I have noticed have been fixed even if it took a while