Lt. Commander
# 1 Help with Salvage Dispute
06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I need some help with the Salvage Dispute mission. To clarify, this is the special mission you get from Franklin Drake once you have collected 10 Computer Core Fragments. My problem with the mission is thus: when I play the mission on elite difficulty, I suddenly get killed without any warning as I approach the Cardassian starbase to destroy the salvaged ship.

Let me be clear that I understand the enemies on elite difficulty are much stronger than normal or advanced. And I understand that getting hit by a high yield torpedo with my shields down can result in an instant death at that difficulty. However, this phenomenon occurs even when my shields and health are at maximum. I don't see any tricobalt devices coming toward me. I'm simply taking normal fire, which I am effectively managing, and then suddenly BOOM! (And by BOOM! I mean 50,000+ hull damage in one shot!)

I don't consider myself an expert, but I have learned to play space combat at the elite setting pretty well. In fact, I actually solo the Traelus Satellite Repair mission without any problems. But how can I beat an invisible weapon that destroys me every time without fail, regardless of how high my health or shields are? Is this mission bugged, or am I missing something?

One final note--I have played this mission on the normal difficulty setting and never encountered this phenomenon. I guess I could stick to normal when playing the Salvage Dispute mission, but where's the fun in that?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign77x View Post
I need some help with the Salvage Dispute mission. To clarify, this is the special mission you get from Franklin Drake once you have collected 10 Computer Core Fragments. My problem with the mission is thus: when I play the mission on elite difficulty, I suddenly get killed without any warning as I approach the Cardassian starbase to destroy the salvaged ship.

Let me be clear that I understand the enemies on elite difficulty are much stronger than normal or advanced. And I understand that getting hit by a high yield torpedo with my shields down can result in an instant death at that difficulty. However, this phenomenon occurs even when my shields and health are at maximum. I don't see any tricobalt devices coming toward me. I'm simply taking normal fire, which I am effectively managing, and then suddenly BOOM! (And by BOOM! I mean 50,000+ hull damage in one shot!)

I don't consider myself an expert, but I have learned to play space combat at the elite setting pretty well. In fact, I actually solo the Traelus Satellite Repair mission without any problems. But how can I beat an invisible weapon that destroys me every time without fail, regardless of how high my health or shields are? Is this mission bugged, or am I missing something?

One final note--I have played this mission on the normal difficulty setting and never encountered this phenomenon. I guess I could stick to normal when playing the Salvage Dispute mission, but where's the fun in that?

It's not invisible, it's just from an unexpected source. The most likely reason you're dying is from the Photon turrets on the station. I've rushed through this when time limited on Normal and had half my Star Cruisers hull taken out in one hit. Those, combined with the Tachyon Beam (which is very effective on the Keldon if you can't get out of it's arc before it fires all ten pulses) is probably what's causing the damage. NPC Photons though can do some very strange things, so my money would be on those (my Star Cruiser was one shotted in KSF last week with three torpedoes each dealing over 35k of damage, and none of them were critical hits).
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Have you looked at your combat logs?
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Have you looked at your combat logs?
Good suggestion...now I feel a little silly for not doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-28-2011, 01:46 AM
It is somewhat difficult. My recommendations for changes to the mission include making the stolen ship return fire, make killing the ship count towards the Fed/Klink ship kill accolade, and add a new respawn point just inside the beam turrets where the timer for the stolen ship starts. Every time I have been destoryed by the Keldon and torpedo turret, the mission is lost as it takes way too much time to get back to the area(max power to engines, evasive manuvers, and emergency to engines does not do enough to help get me there faster).
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Tried doing it on Elite. Failed miserably.

Tried doing it on Advanced, got further, still ended up failing.

I'm doing it on normal now and I always end up dead before the salvaged ship, which of course, then escapes while I have to toddle back without full impulse or cloak.

Seriously, there needs to be an update to this mission, because as it stands now it's not completable solo.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Tried doing it on Elite. Failed miserably.

Tried doing it on Advanced, got further, still ended up failing.

I'm doing it on normal now and I always end up dead before the salvaged ship, which of course, then escapes while I have to toddle back without full impulse or cloak.

Seriously, there needs to be an update to this mission, because as it stands now it's not completable solo.
Except for one time where I was finished rather unpleasantly by that damn turret, I had no big trouble doing it solo. Although the continuing countdown is rather annoying, that could go away.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
that keldon class seems to have some extra special funk on it just for that mission. even on normal i usually get destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Normal difficulty never had problem to get killed, solve the mission successfully all times. Didnt try in the other modes to check if is so bad.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Fly down to the bottom of the map and come in from the right to left angling up at the station. You can target the ship without engaging anything or drawing any aggro. Keldon will just sit there.