Lt. Commander
Just as an excercise of thought, not as a demand or criticism of the current system.

What would you think about a rank structure on ground that works similar to the ship consoles in space?

An away team would consist of one commander whith full access to all powers, a LC, a Lt and an Ensign.
And then compliment the team with security guard Ensign Ricky who always dies (and can't be revived) to show how serious the situation is.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Just as an excercise of thought, not as a demand or criticism of the current system.

What would you think about a rank structure on ground that works similar to the ship consoles in space?

An away team would consist of one commander whith full access to all powers, a LC, a Lt and an Ensign.
And then compliment the team with security guard Ensign Ricky who always dies (and can't be revived) to show how serious the situation is.
I couldn't agree with that. Ensign Ricky who always dies would be the biggest liability ever. And to make up for the loss of 3x Commander,2x Lieutenant Commander, and an Lieutenant BO skill he'd have to be as tough as one of the Klingon NPCs from The Cure to make it worth the loss of those heals (or turrets if they;re your thing).
You could easily get away with doing this on the Ground if you stayed on Normal, but higher difficulties would have you looking at the Respawn timer for a good portion of your playing time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Interestingly enough, I just posted a suggestion like that in this thread.

However, I don't really think it's a good idea. It might have worked if the game had been designed that way from the start. However, it would certainly not work now. Ground combat is balanced for a full team of Commanders at Captain+, so it would have to be rebalanced if this changed.

There are basically two big reasons why it doesn't work this way:

1) Ground combat is actually balanced not for solo play, but a team of 5 players. Thus, an Away Team has to serve as the equivalent of a team of player characters of the same level. BOs are already weaker than player characters, and a level lower.

2) Unlike ships, an Away Team has "universal slots". So you might have an advantage taking on a mission with, say, an Engineer in the Commander slot instead of a Science Officer. Since the current system has all ground classes in balance, once does not end up being more important than another.

Personally, I think it would be neat if missions could be tuned to be a "Science" or "Tactical" mission. Say for a given mission, which is combat intensive, you might be given a Commander slot for Tactical, and LC for all others. Or something similar. But I don't know how that would convert to player character teams. Really, solo play would have to be completely redesigned if this were to be worked out that way. But honestly, if there were some way I could say for my Away Team, "Well, I'm going to need a botanist for this mission", or something the such, it would give more options than just "3 Engineers with turrets and a Healer".

Alternately, I've thought it would be nice if I could promote my officers to give them the proper rank of Space skills, but then my Ground skills use a different progression. Like "Trainee", "Security", "Soldier", "Special Ops". So then I can promote my Away Team separately for their ground skills, while keeping the majority of my crew Lieutenants. (as most crews should be -- you don't see ships in Star Trek with four to six Commanders making up the crew)
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I will add that one thing that a rank structure WOULD bring to the game is that Admirals could be tougher on the ground than Captains. Right now, at any rank above Captain you have the exact same Away Team; 4 Commanders. You will never get any more BO abilities. The only differences are equipment Marks, and the personal abilities of the Captain himself.