Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
As a parent of two young children myself, I can certainly understand the objections that some parents have to violent video games.

As an adult however, I dislike how they keep trying to make things illegal for adults just so they won't have to take the time to parent their own children.
I have two daughers myself. I see things like this all the time. The first 5 or 6 years are the most important to a child. That is when they develop most of their personality and they start learning the difference between right and wrong. The problem isn't with violence in video games, or the large amount of crap that spews out of Hollywood. Spineless, lazy parenting is the number 1 cause of the moral degredation of society.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The US Supreme Court struck down California's ban on violent video games, and ruled that First Amendment protections and the "basic principles of freedom of speech" apply to video games.

Court Strikes Down Violent Game Law
Hurray to Case-Law systems;
Lets just hope another supreme Judge doesn't get the idea of overruling this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
hoooray for freedom of speech!

*looks arround* frak me! ... still sitting in Germany

can't even buy uncut games (or DLC of banned Games) on Steam or Xbox Live...
Could you name examples?
I would like to see how Steam handles Austria, since we usally get the same versions Germany does... (At least regarding to hard Copies)
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Yay! Glad to see the courts being smart for a change.

It's the parents' responsibility as to what their kids watch/play, etc. not the government's. The government needs to quit babysitting.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Isnt this a bad thing, you just know it will be for some generation after ours.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I never understoond the argument parents had about violent video games.

Basicly they are saying they are unfit to be parents, if they do not vet what thier child is watching/playing.

They want the rest of the world to suffer because they are unwilling to take the time to look after thier own children.

When I was a kid and I put a movie on that was inapropriate (sex, violence) my parents would tell me off. These days its even EASIER as there is parental protection build into most tv's and media boxes. And yet we still have these people complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Hurray for the court. Leave parenting to the parents. Want somebody else to raise your kids for you? Adoption agencies are standing by.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I remember Hillary Clinton saying once that it takes a village to raise a child. I will say this to the Hilde Beast, the village (government) has absolutely no business in telling me or any other parent for that matter how to raise their children. That being said, it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that their children grow up to become respectable, productive members of society. Those parent's that are negligent in their duties should have it pointed out to them. Sure you can't control everything that your children do, but if you allow them to run wild and do nothing to instill discipline in them when they are young, then you are partly to blame for any trouble that they cause. I firmly believe that parenting is a leadership role, and my time in the military has taught me that an effective leader has to take an active role in the lives of those he/she leads in order to ensure their success. Don't get me wrong, there is only so much you can do to influence a child in the right direction. After all, they are free to make their own decisions when they grow up, but if the parent did their job properly, then the chances of their children going out into the world and doing stupid things should be significantly less than if they stood by and did nothing to raise their child. Blaming outside influences is nothing but a cop out for a simple lack of proper parenting. I don't know about the rest of the world, but this is becoming a major problem in America. It seems like everywhere I look there are people trying to blame outside influences for their own shortcomings. A classic example is the guy that tried to sue McDonalds because he was fat.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Seth Schiesel of the New York Times, whose article was quoted by Justice Samuel Alito in his concurring opinion, has published an article about this important ruling by the US Supreme Court, and what it means for the video game industry.

I especially liked that he said this; "It isnít every decade that a new form of media officially joins the spoken and written word as a member of the special class of protected endeavor we consider vital to the functioning of pluralistic, democratic society. The last big one was film, about 60 years ago."

You should check out his article here: CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK - The Court Has Ruled; Now Games Have A Duty
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
sure and what better way to do it then by to demand any violent video game be hidden behind a counter or some such.

we have a video game rateing system, that IMHO should be eneugh
It already seems to work A-OK for movies.
Though granted the theaters themselves do the regulation when it comes to R and above, which is how it ought be with games too.

Its not up to the government to protect children's minds, its up to retailers to be responsible on their own when they sell and FAR more importantly its up to parents to be mindful of what they let their children take in by way of media.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Know that the Senator that penned the original piece of legislation has already stated that he will try a new incarnation of the law that does not violate the constitution.