Lt. Commander
I'm a pretty big cynic in mmos: I generally read past the wall of text to the "kill 10 rats" part and move on. I really don't care about the farmer I'm saving, or the lord I'm serving, or whatever. 10 rats is 10 rats, whatever the text.

But for some reason I find myself more involved in missions in this game. Maybe the novelty will pass - after all, completing the mission doesn't change the world - but for now, I've really enjoyed the missions, love the little touches, found the puzzles to be that happy medium between too hard and too easy, and of course, I've read the text.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm the same way with STO. Very seldom do I feel the need to read into a story in most MMOs, but I've got to read through it all in this one, atleast the first time through a mission
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaif View Post
I'm a pretty big cynic in mmos: I generally read past the wall of text to the "kill 10 rats" part and move on. I really don't care about the farmer I'm saving, or the lord I'm serving, or whatever. 10 rats is 10 rats, whatever the text.

But for some reason I find myself more involved in missions in this game. Maybe the novelty will pass - after all, completing the mission doesn't change the world - but for now, I've really enjoyed the missions, love the little touches, found the puzzles to be that happy medium between too hard and too easy, and of course, I've read the text.

Thanks,

-Jeff
You're new around here, aren't you?

It wil change soon enough. Yes, they do manage to keep your interest...but soon, you'll see that it's not "kill 10 rats"...it's "Kill 5 cardies/klingons/roms....etc"
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man

It wil change soon enough. Yes, they do manage to keep your interest...but soon, you'll see that it's not "kill 10 rats"...it's "Kill 5 cardies/klingons/roms....etc"
Don't be a cynic. Sometimes it's "Kill 6 X". They love to hide sometimes it's a total of 6 encounters by telling you, "Enemy Confrontation" then "Kill 5 X"

/endsarcasm
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man

Sure, the exploration and patrol missions are that way. But the episode thingies - those are not as straight-forward, and I find myself reading them, which is a major feat for a game company to achieve.

-Jeff
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2011, 12:23 AM
There i was on Bajor for the first time last night, hoping to have a look at the planet when i stumbled on that Cardassian fleet...

I hailed them and got offered a diplomatic mission. I really did not expect that. I am not too much into reading normally but this time i had no choice since the mission involved investigation and interrogation of two Cardassian officers.

To my great surprise, i found the mission actually interesting and immersive.

A mission i would never have hear about if i had not entered the Bajor system since it was not showing up on the Star Fleet contact list.

Anyway, all that to say that i was impressed by the mission even if i did not fire on anybody.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Don't be a cynic. Sometimes it's "Kill 6 X". They love to hide sometimes it's a total of 6 encounters by telling you, "Enemy Confrontation" then "Kill 5 X"

/endsarcasm
Or worse, scan 1, scan 2 more, scan 2 more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-30-2011, 03:52 AM
The storyline missions are pretty okay with it, some more than others. The Featured Episodes are excellent at it.

The Exploration missions are sometimes better not read at all. But hey, they are generic, repeatable missions. They could be better in some ways, but ultimately, you won't read them more than once anyway...
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The storyline missions are pretty okay with it, some more than others. The Featured Episodes are excellent at it.

The Exploration missions are sometimes better not read at all. But hey, they are generic, repeatable missions. They could be better in some ways, but ultimately, you won't read them more than once anyway...
Yeah, I agree with the storyline missions and Featured Episodes. A lot of Exploration missions can be done without having to read the text, however, if you're picky about these missions it's best to read the text.
Lt. Commander
# 10 The greatest compliment ever!
06-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaif View Post

Thanks,

-Jeff
If I could get people to say that about my Foundry mission(s), when I'll finish them that is, I could die a happy writer.

May you always find interest in the dialog, Jeff. No sarcasm, just sincere hopeful wishes.