Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Hello all!

So. I've been running a single 9800gt from XFX the last year-ish. Previous to that I was running a single 8600gt from Galaxy. Although the graphic were OK with the 8600gt, they were better with the 9800gt (not surprising at all).

However just last week I went out and spent $150 on a new PSU, and added a second matching 9800gt. With the hope that for the first time EVER I could get truly awesome graphics. My old PSU was technically adequate, but only had one PCI-E plug, and was bought only in an emergency when my Ultra died. Now I have a Corsair GS700.

So, I installed the new card. Then set up SLI in the Nvidia control panel. Then ATTEMPTED to log in for around three hours. I DID see improved graphics before my entire system locked up, smashed the entire screen into the top 1/3rd, then would not respond until a full re-boot! I looked on the forum, finding a few people saying to turn down shadows (no change), dynamic lighting (no change), and lastly,... turn down EVERYTHING. To my lack of amazement THAT worked!

So, if I turn OFF SLI, then turn ALL my setting as low as they go,.... Everything works just fine, smooth LOUSY graphics.

I THOUGHT that by setting up one card to run PhysX, and the other doing the rendering, it was doing better. What was actually happening was DUE to having those cards,.. the game loaded up in a higher setting. NOT running any PhysX AT ALL, the second card is idle in this mode. It LOOKED better but was actually just working a single card MUCH higher. So, I ended up loosing all stability. Just as soon as I entered a graphically intense mission. The one card got to hot and the system shut down!

NOW,.. I can't seem to find any threads giving any tips. XFX says it's STO's fault for not running physX (maybe just not correctly IDK).

Issue is I have a lifetime SUB for THIS game. I've spent MANY many months IN this game. I even BUY stuff with real money in the game.

Question is,.. Do they plan to fix this issue? or am I stuck with the graphics quality of a 10 year old game? OR buying the OTHER kind of video card?? WHAT is the answer? I just can't keep dropping out of these instances. Not only is it annoying me, it's risking me being black balled from missions such as The Cure, Infected and Terradome, DUE to crashing out. I've never done any of those without a minimum of three crashes!

So, sorry if it ALSO sounds like a rant, because I suppose it is (a little). I just can't figure out WHAT I can do to make this as enjoyable as SO many people say it should be! Plus I can't find any answers to WHY I can't run better graphics.

My only remaining option is to do the "un-GUY" thing, and ask for assistance from the real brains out there who MAY know what is wrong.

I've also tried each card by itself, they both work fine (identical even).

Please help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroke
Hello all!

So. I've been running a single 9800gt from XFX the last year-ish. Previous to that I was running a single 8600gt from Galaxy. Although the graphic were OK with the 8600gt, they were better with the 9800gt (not surprising at all).

However just last week I went out and spent $150 on a new PSU, and added a second matching 9800gt. With the hope that for the first time EVER I could get truly awesome graphics. My old PSU was technically adequate, but only had one PCI-E plug, and was bought only in an emergency when my Ultra died. Now I have a Corsair GS700.

So, I installed the new card. Then set up SLI in the Nvidia control panel. Then ATTEMPTED to log in for around three hours. I DID see improved graphics before my entire system locked up, smashed the entire screen into the top 1/3rd, then would not respond until a full re-boot! I looked on the forum, finding a few people saying to turn down shadows (no change), dynamic lighting (no change), and lastly,... turn down EVERYTHING. To my lack of amazement THAT worked!

So, if I turn OFF SLI, then turn ALL my setting as low as they go,.... Everything works just fine, smooth LOUSY graphics.

I THOUGHT that by setting up one card to run PhysX, and the other doing the rendering, it was doing better. What was actually happening was DUE to having those cards,.. the game loaded up in a higher setting. NOT running any PhysX AT ALL, the second card is idle in this mode. It LOOKED better but was actually just working a single card MUCH higher. So, I ended up loosing all stability. Just as soon as I entered a graphically intense mission. The one card got to hot and the system shut down!

NOW,.. I can't seem to find any threads giving any tips. XFX says it's STO's fault for not running physX (maybe just not correctly IDK).

Issue is I have a lifetime SUB for THIS game. I've spent MANY many months IN this game. I even BUY stuff with real money in the game.

Question is,.. Do they plan to fix this issue? or am I stuck with the graphics quality of a 10 year old game? OR buying the OTHER kind of video card?? WHAT is the answer? I just can't keep dropping out of these instances. Not only is it annoying me, it's risking me being black balled from missions such as The Cure, Infected and Terradome, DUE to crashing out. I've never done any of those without a minimum of three crashes!

So, sorry if it ALSO sounds like a rant, because I suppose it is (a little). I just can't figure out WHAT I can do to make this as enjoyable as SO many people say it should be! Plus I can't find any answers to WHY I can't run better graphics.

My only remaining option is to do the "un-GUY" thing, and ask for assistance from the real brains out there who MAY know what is wrong.

I've also tried each card by itself, they both work fine (identical even).

Please help!
I was running SLI fine during closed and open beta (had 2 Nvidia 7950GTXs in SLI. and I did verify they were both working - as with just one, my framerate dropped considerably.) here's the trick thoough - you have to make sure "Gameclient.exe" is configured for SLI - not just "StarTrekOnline.exe"

Also, PhysX in general doesn't do that much for ANY MMO I've played. Trying to devote a full card to it exclusively is a waste (imo). Also, when tweaking SLI see what gives you gives you better results. I dumped my SLI config and went with a sinble GTX260 - and I can't recall what SLI mode gave me the best results - SFR or AFR; but again, iof you go into the Nvidia driver and configure the "Gameclient.exe" file for SLI (a nd be sure for FORE SLI in the driver setting since the "Default SLI " setting in any Nvidia driver game config = "None".
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I found that thread in an archive just now.

Here's a link: http://forums.startrekonline.com/arc.../t-139364.html

It's archived, so it doesn't look like this page.

However this looks a bit more complicated then what you described above.

Although somewhat tech savvy, I'm not even sure where I'd find that file, nor do I feel like messing it up worse trying something I don't really understand. (such as the 5 lines of programming you suggest in the thread)

Maybe I'll follow the advise of finding a programming savvy friend to do it. Either way I'll need to figure out where to find, and put, those code lines.

Thanks for the reply
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Well I did find an issue with my OLD 9800gt, which worked fine before the newer one got here. If I install it as the top card (main card), (moved to second card because it's the older card, and I thought it'd get worked less). NOW pulls a code 10! It won't fire up.

This is why I bought used XFX cards though. They both have warranties, transfered just after their "working" condition was verified. So, I'll RMA this old one for repair. Maybe I can SLI when it returns.

Good thing I got this newer card when I did too. I'd be out of luck right now, all together, had I not.