Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I made this post a couple days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
I was telling a friend just today...I'm surprised the "real" hacking community hasn't dealt with them...the last things the "real" hacking community wants is this much attention being brought upon the "hobby".

These kids are all about the attention they can get. It has nothing to do with morals or rebellion, they just use that to make them look less like losers..

And today....

A-Team" Hacker Group Posts Purported Identities and Locations of LulzSec Members
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
It is interesting that lulzsec decided to disband all of a sudden and made out it was planned all along. They seem to forget they they brought out a 'phoneline' for requests just a few days before thier 'we planned it all along!' disbandment.

Glad to see somebody is taking care of them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Their leader was outed in worse fashion by his own mom the other day. Shortly after she bailed him out, she told the news that his only friends in the world were her and the cats.

"I will humiliate the shepherd, and the sheep in the flock will be ashamed."
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Their leader was outed in worse fashion by his own mom the other day. Shortly after she bailed him out, she told the news that his only friends in the world were her and the cats.

"I will humiliate the shepherd, and the sheep in the flock will be ashamed."
Dude, he wasn't even the leader nor a member.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Lulzsec tried to deny he was a member, but they also tried to deny that the request line and twitter account were associated with their group. Their denials are about as sophisticated as their SQL injection attacks (seriously, if people don't start hard typing their inputs I'm going to take a cue from XKCD and make my son's middle name '); drop table), but I suppose that's the benefit of anonymous cell based organization, they actually don't know who most of their members are.

He's on the list. His computer was the only one involved in several attacks Lulzsec took responsibility for, and was one of the ones involved in the SOCA attack that finally got them taken seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Well, they didn't really have as big of an impact as people think. The only issues were companies or organizations who were practicing poor data management to begin with. They hacked the Wii network as well but didn't get anything because Nintendo keeps its user data secure. They got nowhere with the XBOX Live network.

Seriously, these guys are like a bully pushing over a crippled kid and then boasting about how tough they are.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-29-2011, 07:01 AM
They targeted specific companies that used older dBase software that had known vulnerabilities. They are not hackers...They are wannabes.

SOE was using an older vesion of Oracle Database...which was...well...crap. Prone to crashing if you even looked at it wrong. They earned no cred for attacking things like that.

There was no challenge in it. A monkey could have done what they did. Now if they'd actually gotten into Wii or even XBL...then I'd be impressed...But Sony? Meh.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Lulzsec tried to deny he was a member, but they also tried to deny that the request line and twitter account were associated with their group. Their denials are about as sophisticated as their SQL injection attacks (seriously, if people don't start hard typing their inputs I'm going to take a cue from XKCD and make my son's middle name '); drop table), but I suppose that's the benefit of anonymous cell based organization, they actually don't know who most of their members are.
No, he wasn't part of Lulz-sec:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LulzSec Twitter Feed
Ryan Cleary is not part of LulzSec; we house one of our many legitimate chatrooms on his IRC server, but that's it.
Cleary tried to claim his own, personal hacks were LulzSec but that was just a cover.

It's like owning a coffee shop where hackers meet-up at, then trying to break into hacking on your own, then blaming it on the former patrons of your coffee shop.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
They targeted specific companies that used older dBase software that had known vulnerabilities. They are not hackers...They are wannabes.

SOE was using an older vesion of Oracle Database...which was...well...crap. Prone to crashing if you even looked at it wrong. They earned no cred for attacking things like that.

There was no challenge in it. A monkey could have done what they did. Now if they'd actually gotten into Wii or even XBL...then I'd be impressed...But Sony? Meh.
What probably took Sony so long to get back up and running was replacing all that old hardware with new hardware that would run better security software. But as you and I have pointed out, look at their conquests: Sony (old tech), Wii (open network with no personal info), a police department (where the IT guy is the person standing closest to the server at that time).

Who didn't they get into? HP, Apple, IBM, Dell, Cisco, Microsoft, the Department of Defense, NSA, etc.....
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Lulzsec can claim he's not a member all they want, but they took responsibility for and participated in his attacks, he posted to their twitter feed. It's far more than just hosting one of their IRC channels.

This A-team release isn't the first out on Lulzsec, but it does have some of the same information as the previous one. From log releases, it's known that members were discussing the arrest before it reached the media, that two members closely tied to the attack Cleary was arrested for had disappeared off the internet entirely.

They can say all they want on their twitter feed. J Edgar Hoover spent decades telling the world there was no Mafia. In both cases somebody else was nice enough to clarify for the world.