Lt. Commander
# 1 Question about PW and Cryptic
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to see, how much control over STO will cryptic retain once PWI takes over? Will they try to make STO a F2P game and if so what happens to us lifetimers? Or will STO always be a join Atari/Cryptic project and will Atari maintain control? I'm just curious about the future of STO when it comes to this sudden change. To me its a shock that Atari let go of Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Cryptic CAN'T comment.

I will say that they have allowed Runic Games to retain full control and, if it eases your mind any, a little birdy told me that the buyout was engineered by Americans at PWI's American offices, where they are very excited to be working with Cryptic Studios in the future and see it as a huge leap forward for their U.S.-based operations, since it is seen as the biggest U.S. acquisition they have made to date.

PWI is eager to expand into western markets and understands that western markets have a different mentality, which is why each new MMO they release is slightly more westernized. The acquisition of Cryptic is seen as a chance to use PWI's vast resources to more effectively break into the western market by having the people who manage and run the game approach it from a western perspective on gaming and business.

The specifics will be announced when the deal is final. I'm not going to make predictions about that except to say that a big part of this deal is acquiring not just Cryptic's gaming engine but its management and its experience.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
you do have to wonder though as its taking a while to iron out an get news out if atari are allowed to sell sto due to cbs licensing
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I like PWI, I played Forsaken World and was impressed by it so I'm not worried about the shift in publisher. I'm more just worried about our status as lifetime members and the future of the game in general. I wouldn't mind if the game went "freemium" only if the lifetime members retained their access to all content and everything without having to subscribe or pay again for content we already bought. I want to see STO last for a LONG time and if that's the route it needs to go and that PWI wants to take then I'm behind them I just don't want to feel riped off lol.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
i am a lifetimer on lord of the rings online, and was before they went f2p. i retained my lifetime status. i think if sto went f2p they would do the same.
i dont see sto changing in a big way! the star trek franchise has such a specific universe and feel, i doubt they would change that. it seems the company pw want to buy into western culture, if anything they probably would put more dollar cryptics way and maybe even more staff.
they are in it to make money at the end of the day after alls said and done.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako80
i am a lifetimer on lord of the rings online, and was before they went f2p. i retained my lifetime status. i think if sto went f2p they would do the same.
i dont see sto changing in a big way! the star trek franchise has such a specific universe and feel, i doubt they would change that. it seems the company pw want to buy into western culture, if anything they probably would put more dollar cryptics way and maybe even more staff.
they are in it to make money at the end of the day after alls said and done.
I agree, PW is possibly a good shift for Cryptic, and its good to hear that Turbine honored their Lifetime members. All this feedback makes me feel secure and safe. Who knows perhaps PWI will fund cryptic to create a Romulan faction expansion, they are after all a sucsessful company to date.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
you do have to wonder though as its taking a while to iron out an get news out if atari are allowed to sell sto due to cbs licensing
It's been less than a month since the announcement. Selling a company isn't like selling a car, there's quite a few hurdles to jump through, some of them legal, some of them contractual (the press release mentioned there were closing conditions on both sides to be met before payment), some of them just arranging payment (even companies the size as PWI and Atari may not have 50 million in liquid assets ready to go at any given time because of reinvestment). General Motors recently sold a plant in my area to a company in China and it took six months to finalize everything, two months of which was spent on union negotiations.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
Considering PWI is reported to be paying $60 million U.S.; and the announcement was made on May 31, 2011 (4 weeks ago) - for a deal of this size and complexity, no, it's not long at all. It's not like buying a car, or even a house (which can have a 30-60 day escrow, etc.)

I'm sure when they have more info that can be shared publically, they will post it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
ahh, I remember when there was much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth when Atari took over. Same thing here I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
i meant that nothing has come out from cbs about atari selling star trek online franchise to another company as the ip rights to sto never belonged to atari or cryptic as they are on license to cryptic through atari from cbs/paramount.

i know its not like buying a car but its not like buying a simply company either, pwi cant simply go here is the cash we are having this games company with this catalogue of games and we shall do what we see as fit with them. know what i mean.