Lt. Commander
# 11
06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
1) you will notice that cryptic will have more resources at their disposal. If they choose to put it into STO they will.
2) I am pretty sure it was the cryptic engine that made them a good buy not just the licenses
3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
, if it eases your mind any, a little birdy told me that the buyout was engineered by Americans at PWI's American offices, where they are very excited to be working with Cryptic Studios in the future and see it as a huge leap forward for their U.S.-based operations, since it is seen as the biggest U.S. acquisition they have made to date.
birds don't talk, man.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post

birds don't talk, man.
no but dogs can http://youtu.be/DXrfF7Gabs0
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
i meant that nothing has come out from cbs about atari selling star trek online franchise to another company as the ip rights to sto never belonged to atari or cryptic as they are on license to cryptic through atari from cbs/paramount.
and the lisence was almost certinly part of the sale. CBS won't interfer unless this sale somehow impacts negitivityly thew value of the franchise
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
birds don't talk, man.
My parent's Red Tail Parrot disagrees.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako80
i am a lifetimer on lord of the rings online, and was before they went f2p. i retained my lifetime status. i think if sto went f2p they would do the same.
i dont see sto changing in a big way! the star trek franchise has such a specific universe and feel, i doubt they would change that. it seems the company pw want to buy into western culture, if anything they probably would put more dollar cryptics way and maybe even more staff.
they are in it to make money at the end of the day after alls said and done.
I also am a Lifer in LOTRO, and came here to basically say the same thing you did. In my opinion, nothing will change for STO Lifers if STO goes F2P, and I can give an even more appropriate example of why that is:

Champions Online.

I'm a Lifer in CO as well (yes, I like Lifetime accounts!), and the situation for Lifers in the F2P version of CO is virtually the same as it is for Lifers in LOTRO. Why is that? Because Cryptic follows almost the exact same Hybrid F2P model Turbine uses for LOTRO in CO, including how Lifetime accounts are handled.

I have no doubt that STO Lifetime accounts would be treated just like Lifetime accounts in CO are, were STO to go Free-to-Play at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellus-Scormus
I also am a Lifer in LOTRO, and came here to basically say the same thing you did. In my opinion, nothing will change for STO Lifers if STO goes F2P, and I can give an even more appropriate example of why that is:

Champions Online.

I'm a Lifer in CO as well (yes, I like Lifetime accounts!), and the situation for Lifers in the F2P version of CO is virtually the same as it is for Lifers in LOTRO. Why is that? Because Cryptic follows almost the exact same Hybrid F2P model Turbine uses for LOTRO in CO, including how Lifetime accounts are handled.

I have no doubt that STO Lifetime accounts would be treated just like Lifetime accounts in CO are, were STO to go Free-to-Play at some point.
for those not familer with how it works, lifetimers in both CO and LOTRO basicly get so many store points, for free, each month.

the end result if lifetimers are once they cross a certin threshold, literally being paid for playing the game
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Ofcouse STO will go free to play.. Its the best form of business right now and you can buy everything for the game in the C store.. Just wait and see cause it will happen..
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Not this ol dead horse again... stop beating it PLEASE!
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
for those not familer with how it works, lifetimers in both CO and LOTRO basicly get so many store points, for free, each month.

the end result if lifetimers are once they cross a certin threshold, literally being paid for playing the game
Damn skippy we are! I bought my Lifetime account for LOTRO in 2007, at the sale price of $199, so it took only 13 months of no subscription fees before I had made my money back on that purchase. Other than expansions and any Turbine Points I might choose to buy in addition to my monthly stipend (500/month until the servers shut down), I need never give Turbine another dime to play LOTRO. And so I've been essentially making money from Turbine since early 2009, as those subscription fees I don't pay have easily paid for all of my expansions and then some... plus the 500/month stipend...

Yeah, Lifers like me have it good in LOTRO!

Now in CO it's a little different, as I just bought that Lifetime subscription this month. I also paid full price ($299), so it won't pay itself off for almost two more years. But the 400 Atari Point stipend I get every month makes purchasing more Atari Points virtually unnecessary, saving me money I otherwise would have spent on points in the Store. So really, I am making money in CO even now, after a fashion.

Kind of an expensive proposition, investing in Lifetime subscriptions, but I feel they are well worth the money spent.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwitzak View Post
Ofcouse STO will go free to play.. Its the best form of business right now and you can buy everything for the game in the C store.. Just wait and see cause it will happen..
I agree, it is just a matter of time. If I had to guess, the only thing that might hold up a switch to a Hybrid F2P model for STO would be CBS. If they feel such a move might hurt the Star Trek "brand", then they could block the move. But considering how "Lord of the Rings Online" has thrived under Free-to-Play, and it hasn't hurt the "Lord of the Rings" franchise at all, I'm sure CBS would come around eventually.

Plus, even "World of ********" is transitioning towards a Free-to-Play model, having gone to an unlimited free trial this week. Blizzard stated they would consider going to a F2P model eventually, and it looks like they are starting down that path, albeit with baby steps. If WoW goes Free-to-Play, I would not be surprised to see the end of subscription-only MMOs within a year after that. There is simply too much money to be made from Hybrid Free-to-Play models.