Lt. Commander
# 21
06-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellus-Scormus
I agree, it is just a matter of time. If I had to guess, the only thing that might hold up a switch to a Hybrid F2P model for STO would be CBS. If they feel such a move might hurt the Star Trek "brand", then they could block the move. But considering how "Lord of the Rings Online" has thrived under Free-to-Play, and it hasn't hurt the "Lord of the Rings" franchise at all, I'm sure CBS would come around eventually.

Plus, even "World of ********" is transitioning towards a Free-to-Play model, having gone to an unlimited free trial this week. Blizzard stated they would consider going to a F2P model eventually, and it looks like they are starting down that path, albeit with baby steps. If WoW goes Free-to-Play, I would not be surprised to see the end of subscription-only MMOs within a year after that. There is simply too much money to be made from Hybrid Free-to-Play models.
Right on the SPOT
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavin_Prime View Post
I just wanted to see, how much control over STO will cryptic retain once PWI takes over? Will they try to make STO a F2P game and if so what happens to us lifetimers? Or will STO always be a join Atari/Cryptic project and will Atari maintain control? I'm just curious about the future of STO when it comes to this sudden change. To me its a shock that Atari let go of Cryptic.
Posably (and hopfuly) they will let cryptic do what ever but if it goes F2P I will have a long list of things life times should get as compinsation..........
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-30-2011, 09:39 PM
If STO was to go F2P there would probley be elite subscription aconts and stuff like that to still make $. But I hope they dont make a pay to win sanario where if you can aford paying you can beat every one.... hapend to another game I play(ed) and isnt very good.... now every thing in it can be bught and some stuff that was only ernable before could also now be percised.... I dont want to see that hapen to STO...
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm only saying this based on memory, and considering my memory isn't as good as it used to be, I could be wrong, so if I am, forgive me, and correct me, of course, but if I recall, the licensing rights for Star Trek Online are completely safe.

As I understand and remember (and once more, I could be mistaken, but this is how I remember hearing it anyway), CBS licensed the product to Cryptic Studios after the deal with Perpetual went south, before Atari bought Cryptic. As I recall, there was quite a lot of trepidation when Atari bought Cryptic, kind of like there is now. So if this is the case, as I remember, then Cryptic had the licensing in hand when Atari got them. When Atari sold Cryptic, Cryptic still had them in hand, and will continue to have them in hand until CBS decides otherwise. Again, this is what I remember. I could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I imagine the real IP wrangling going on has little to do with STO and a lot to do with Neverwinter.

If you look at the D&D angle it's a mess, Atari owns this, Cryptic owns that, etc.

As far as the effect PW has on this...well free to play would only help STO at this point, it certainly must be helping Champs.

As a lifetimer I'd love to see it happen as long as I retain my lifetime and get the stipend as in champs.

PW did a great job on forsaken world, not my style of MMO but it is very polished.

I don't think things could have worked out better for Cryptic, it seems the Asian F2P companies have a knack for keeping a game running and self sustaining in a saturated market, that's a good thing for a game with UCG tools in it.