Lt. Commander
# 1 Critics and dialog
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Im just curious but what do most of the story writers do when a review says the dialog is too long? Do you guys go and cut stuff out or just leave it?

I ask because i had one say the story was lengthy and needed to be trimmed an more concise. Which to me says to remove all the personality involved. Im not even sure where i could remove parts of the story to shorten it.

So what would you guys do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-30-2011, 04:03 AM
I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this.

One thing I would suggest doing, for the "click-through" people: Include one dialog route that is reasonably fast and only conveys essential information. For example, always have the last button in a dialog be that route (and mention this as OOC comment in the introduction perhaps). That way, people that want to immerse themselves into your mission, will be able to do so, and people that just don't feel like it can still get the essential storyline.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I'm guilty of being one of those foundry authors that create missions that involve a lot of dialogue. As a writer, I enjoy the storytelling more than the combat. There has to be a reason why you're going to Planet A to fight Enemy B. I actually like those missions with a good story to it. To me it says the author put some effort into the mission.

But hey, that's just me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
I structured my dialog trees with the option to skip the whole thing and proceed for people who didn't want to read the backstory and information parts.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
I structured my dialog trees with the option to skip the whole thing and proceed for people who didn't want to read the backstory and information parts.
This. Or made some of it optional if I thought it wasn't pertinent to the mission. Also, I warn people it is a story-based mission that is dialog heavy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
This mission was my first so i didnt know how to do the extra dialog buttons. But i figure i will just leave it, its done. I have played through the mission a good 20 times to fix bugs an typos. At this point its as good as its going to get, for the sake of my own sanity lol. Plus im aready workin on the next one in the chain.

And i do warn in the description that its dialog heavy. I just tend to write with alot of personality an emotion, not sure if it comes across that way but thats what i try to do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I leave it alone...It was my "vision" and I would have to say that it was yours in your case as well. If I were to change everything everyone who played my series wanted, it would no longer be "my creation"...

Bugs, tough fights, changes in the foundry itself that will "enhance" your mission etc...you do what you can to fix or change those items....But your script or story is your own, people will like it or not...Just the way it is....

"Reviewers" and I use that term loosely, need to understand a review is based on the content that is set before them, not what they'd like it to be...
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
you wont please everybody so dont bother trying. if you cut it down the people who want a lot of story and dialog will say its too short.

make the mission and story that you want to tell, make the dialog a length that you feel is correct for the mission you are making and for what you consider fun. thats all you can do.

i know as an author you want to please everybody and make the 'perfect mission'. trust me, you cant.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
you wont please everybody so dont bother trying. if you cut it down the people who want a lot of story and dialog will say its too short.

make the mission and story that you want to tell, make the dialog a length that you feel is correct for the mission you are making and for what you consider fun. thats all you can do.

i know as an author you want to please everybody and make the 'perfect mission'. trust me, you cant.

Well Said Captain Revo!

Only you can tell "Your" story. Do it the way you want it to be told.

Duke-of-Rock
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
If they provide a specific example, I look at it and decide if I feel it could be changed/made more clear while still maintaining the story element I'm explaining with it. Sometimes you just gotta realize, not everyone will like what you write, or the way you write it. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with it, or with how you presented it.

You just need to process the Feedback and if you feel it has merit, act on it. If you don't agree, leave things be; and just realize people have differebt tastes and expectations.

There's a lot of MMO players who hate ANY dialog. They just want to click past it and get to something they can target and take out/blow up. Those types will never care what you write; but might feel annoyed at needing to click over 'X' boxes to get to any 'action'.