Lt. Commander
# 21
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
I'm going to go with a bit of simple logic on this one. If people want to create missions, they want people to actually play them.
I want to create missions, but I'd want people to play my missions for the stories/characters I write into my missions, not because my missions happen to reward people better than other missions. I believe there are at least as many Foundry authors who feel like I do as those who feel differently.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Quote:
I want to create missions, but I'd want people to play my missions for the stories/characters I write into my missions, not because my missions happen to reward people better than other missions. I believe there are at least as many Foundry authors who feel like I do as those who feel differently.
But would you really mind if people would play your mission and get an item and skill point reward for it as well?

I must admit I am not actually I would play much more Foundry mission, regardless of the reward scheme. At least not at endgame. I have something else i can do with my char - PvP.

But when I level, I usually don't get to do PvP. But I level to get PvP. I don't want to do grind missions, and I don't want to do missions for the 5th or gazillionth time. I would love to play some cool Foundry missions. But it's very ineffective in getting me to my other goal - PvPing at endgame.

The problem is I want both things - Foundry missions to level and PvPing at endgame. But I can have only one. Why force such a choice on me? Nobody is gaining from that.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
But would you really mind if people would play your mission and get an item and skill point reward for it as well?
That depends on how the rewards system is implemented. You see, the more control Foundry Authors have over their creations here I mean both mission scripting and enemy design the easier it is to set up an exploitative scenario that is meant to milk the system for all it's worth. Paragon Studios experienced this with their City of Heroes version of UGC, and this is most likely one of the reasons why we cannot control the exact build of our NPC combatants, to prevent exploits.

As is, Foundry missions can already be tweaked to make the wrapper mission into an exploit, so increasing rewards even more would certainly invite more exploits.

Quote:
But I level to get PvP. I don't want to do grind missions, and I don't want to do missions for the 5th or gazillionth time. I would love to play some cool Foundry missions. But it's very ineffective in getting me to my other goal - PvPing at endgame.

The problem is I want both things - Foundry missions to level and PvPing at endgame. But I can have only one. Why force such a choice on me? Nobody is gaining from that.
It sounds nice in theory, but in the end it's all up to Cryptic anyway.

If Cryptic finds a way to allow Foundry missions to reward players based on the mission scripting and/or the player's performance, all the while without exposing more exploit potential to Foundry authors, I'll be happy with that. I just can't see that happening without major effort, and even then failure is a likely outcome, and so I personally would rather Cryptic focus on other Foundry-related issues.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Maybe the reward could be related to the Foundry mission.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
[
If Cryptic finds a way to allow Foundry missions to reward players based on the mission scripting and/or the player's performance, all the while without exposing more exploit potential to Foundry authors, I'll be happy with that. I just can't see that happening without major effort, and even then failure is a likely outcome, and so I personally would rather Cryptic focus on other Foundry-related issues.
I really don't know how easy it is for Cryptic to add such a "counter", but I think simply having a counter for time spent in Foundry missions (basically all time you spend in mission maps belonging to the Foundry, not time spent in Sector Space) could do the trick. As an author, you can't really exploit this - sure, you can make a long mission, but that is no big difference from playing 3 short missions for the same overall time. The only way to exploit this is spending 1 hour in a foundry mission doing nothing. But hey, then you just spend 1 hour logged into this game requiring very little server assets, requiring you to be subscribed to the game and paying money to Cryptic. It's kinda an exploit maybe, but it's so incredibly ineffective use of your time (or your computer's time) and subscription money.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
I really don't know how easy it is for Cryptic to add such a "counter", but I think simply having a counter for time spent in Foundry missions (basically all time you spend in mission maps belonging to the Foundry, not time spent in Sector Space) could do the trick. As an author, you can't really exploit this - sure, you can make a long mission, but that is no big difference from playing 3 short missions for the same overall time. The only way to exploit this is spending 1 hour in a foundry mission doing nothing.
I'm not sure if Cryptic can do this or not, but players cannot remain logged into the game for more than 15 minutes (if I recall correctly that's the time limit) without performing any interaction with the game.

However, this wouldn't be a good solution as it will entirely remove the connection between how missions are designed and built and what sort of rewards they yield. Might as well stick with a wrapper mission that groups together 3 Foundry Missions and is repeatable every hour (just as an example).

The thing is that the people who want more rewards for Foundry missions themselves, and not as a generic wrapper mission, are concerned with advancing their own in-game goals rather than the missions they play. For those people the best solution will always be to look for ways to maximize the gain while minimizing their time investment, and this is a problem in MMO's whether it be UGC missions or missions designed by the developers themselves. We'll always have people complaining about having to put too much time for too little a reward!
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Seems simple to me: make the reward for doing a mission scale to the average time it takes people to complete the mission. That way, long missions have bigger rewards, but one person AFKing all day in a 1-console mission gains nothing by doing that. (The average would have to be seeded with, say, 100 fake 15 minute completions to prevent the 24 hour scenario on the first run through.)
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-10-2011, 07:31 AM
How about this;
  • Rewards are up to Uncommon quality gear or a new currency ('Foundry Credits' or something) that can be spent on small but unique, non-combat flavour items.
  • 'Foundry credits' and Uncommon items can only be earned X times a day and the credits are a flat amount regardless of the mission length/difficulty/etc to avoid grinding, hoarding and cheating to any substantial degree.
  • Common items can be set as a secondary reward for any mission completed after reaching the limit for primary rewards. Think hypos/devices/etc etc.

This way you avoid cheaters to any degree that would actually make it worth doing while simultaniously avoiding the ability to give out 'uber gear'. Neither does this simple system give any player who chooses to play the Foundry missions any sort of edge over the players who decide not to. All rewards are either too inconsequential to bother with or simply don't provide any advantage beyond being pretty or for fun.

The non-combat flavour items could be anything from a small commbadge or a belt, a statue in your ready room to a special emblem on your ship. Anything could be sold by a special NPC located on ESD. Hell, the unique rewards could even be added to the C-Store for people who don't wish to play through Foundry missions (and earn them more cash in the process).

Using 'time spent on a mission' as a measurement for rewards sounds silly. One player can complete a mission far quicker then the next. Penalizing someone for being faster then someone else? Nah...

Just throwing in my 2 cents
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
the current:
level item
or
level badge
is fine at the moment.

Yes, it can be exploited. However if rewards differed in anyway for different foundry missions(amount of xp etc) then people may be tempted to cherry pick.

Could maybe have accolades:
10 Foundry missions completed(with 4 star or higer rating)
50 Foundry missions completed(with 4 star or higer rating)
100 Foundry missions completed(with 4 star or higer rating)