Lt. Commander
# 1 UGC daily exploits.
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I know this will get me flack from some... but instead of getting ANY mission, I propose that there be some system for the devs to "unlock" missions as useable for the UGC daily.

There is a huge number of "Tap the console" exploits that make the daily just a free XP and Emblem giveaway. The incredible amount of seriously well written and well constructed foundry missions should be highlighted.

Grumpiness over.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
uhm... no... they just need to do their job
- test + delete reported missions
- warn + ban the authors

they do a good job maintaining their rules on the forums, they should do an equally good job on maintaining the foundry
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettorix View Post
I know this will get me flack from some... but instead of getting ANY mission, I propose that there be some system for the devs to "unlock" missions as useable for the UGC daily.

There is a huge number of "Tap the console" exploits that make the daily just a free XP and Emblem giveaway. The incredible amount of seriously well written and well constructed foundry missions should be highlighted.

Grumpiness over.
Agreed! However I don't see how they can implement any kind of "thing" to make this idea work. I like to find the the really exciting and well written missions in UGC and they are not always in the same mission. Some are well written while others may just be exciting!

The exploit that I really saw is the "Accolade Achievement" mission. Long battles against a specified foe to earn achievements. I mean who makes a mission that the only purpose of it is to get you to kill what you nead to earn an accolade? Aren't there enough missions out there to earn accolades by doing them?

Maybe they could use the news box and offer promotions on "award winning" UGC missions highlighting them and offering double rewards if you complete three of the missions listed for the week. These could even be decieded through UGC play if they add some kind of counter to the missions being played and how they are rated. So 10 ratings of 4+ stars gets on the Double rewards list for the UGC daily?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
Maybe they could use the news box and offer promotions on "award winning" UGC missions highlighting them and offering double rewards if you complete three of the missions listed for the week. These could even be decieded through UGC play if they add some kind of counter to the missions being played and how they are rated. So 10 ratings of 4+ stars gets on the Double rewards list for the UGC daily?
I second this idea. It would also be a perfect way to showcase the best of the best, and the double rewards makes it totally worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
No. I don't see the need to change it.

If it was something that could repeated multiple times to get an endless supply of emblems then yes I would agree it needs looking at.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
uhm... no... they just need to do their job
- test + delete reported missions
- warn + ban the authors

they do a good job maintaining their rules on the forums, they should do an equally good job on maintaining the foundry
I guess itīs not that easy. Some people create those exploit missions and tell only a few others about them. They donīt list a starting point, so random people who find the mission wonīt know where to start, and therefore cannot report the mission. The introduction could read like it is for a "real" mission.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettorix View Post

Grumpiness over.
I 100% AGREE WITH THIS. JUNK is JUNK.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
*puts on his Mk XI asbestos underwear*
(+26 vs flaming)

The way I see it, guys, is that we should just leave the daily quickie missions alone. As a foundry author, I do not want people playing my missions who are just looking to grind out their emblems. Removing them does not mean our "legitimate" missions are going to get more plays. It also would mean that you're going to see alot more unwarranted negative reviews if these types of players are forced to do our missions ("one star... too long").

For now, let the emblem grinders do their thing and let the people who are truly interested in and enjoy playing UGC missions continue to do their thing.

Cryptic attempting to police these exploit missions is an effort in futility. They will continue to exist "underground" and in secret no matter what. If they want to truly fix the issue, then they need to rethink the wrapper mission and develop an alternate that makes these types of missions irrelevant. IMO, this is what you guys should be focusing on... ideas and constructive feedback to this end.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
The Daiy reward mission is suboptimal.

It doesn't reward players for playing long mission. Of course that leads to "gaming" the mission creation tools to create quick-completing missions.

it would be better if they could do something time-based, e.g. spend 1 hour on Foundry missions, and get your reward. Could even be repeatable.

Then the way to exploit his owuld be to take any 1-click mission and stand around 1 hour in that mission. That's a a very... ineffective exploit. Still abusable by some particular desperate people, but it gives a lot of incentive to everyone to just keep playing foundry missions for their content _and_ the reward. Instead of forcing a choice between "decent content" vs "decent rewards".
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't see a reason to spend a lot of effort fixing this. People are going to get emblems. That some get them practically free isn't a real issue to be concerned about.

They could just as easily luck out doing B'tran exploration and get 3 scan 5 anomaly missions in a row, or skip any combat missions. Those missions are not a far cry from tap console to win foundry missions.

Not everyone enjoys the same missions, and part of the point of the foundry is to be able to create missions to suit your desires. I'm of the opinion that effortless cheap quickie missions fall into that category and are as legitimate as any other, no matter how low quality they are. Let them have their fun, you have yours.

The better solution is to make longer missions with real effort put into them offer better rewards. How you do that, I'm not sure, but that would be the ideal answer.