Lt. Commander
# 11
07-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
They could just as easily luck out doing B'tran exploration and get 3 scan 5 anomaly missions in a row, or skip any combat missions. Those missions are not a far cry from tap console to win foundry missions.
thats not the same thing. one is sheer random generation of missions, the other is intentionally exploiting the foundry system

Quote:
Not everyone enjoys the same missions, and part of the point of the foundry is to be able to create missions to suit your desires. I'm of the opinion that effortless cheap quickie missions fall into that category and are as legitimate as any other, no matter how low quality they are. Let them have their fun, you have yours.
creating missions designed to exploit the design of the foundry and gain easy emblems is not legitimate by any definition of the word. it is exploiting the system. you know, what they did in CoH that almost killed the game.

emblems should not be given out for doing these missions. that they have to bribe people with them in order to get people to play the foundry missions speaks volumes about cryptic knowing the low quality of the foundry missions,

Quote:
they do a good job maintaining their rules on the forums, they should do an equally good job on maintaining the foundry
its much easier to moderate a forum effectively than it is the foundry
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
thats not the same thing. one is sheer random generation of missions, the other is intentionally exploiting the foundry system

creating missions designed to exploit the design of the foundry and gain easy emblems is not legitimate by any definition of the word. it is exploiting the system. you know, what they did in CoH that almost killed the game.

emblems should not be given out for doing these missions. that they have to bribe people with them in order to get people to play the foundry missions speaks volumes about cryptic knowing the low quality of the foundry missions,

Again, I don't consider it an exploit. It was designed to allow this possibility rather than prevent it. Cryptic could put in some kind of minimum storyline length and map number to prevent these kind of things, but they didn't.

Why is a mission that lets you go to ESD and click one console a sufficient length for a foundry mission? But more importantly, why does a mission like that give you the same credit towards the daily as a mission that takes 2 hours to complete?

And you know, I was there in CoH for the mission architect launch, and it is absolutely nothing like what is possible in STO, not even remotely so. Cryptic designed the foundry reward system to prevent the kind of things that were ignored in CoH's mission architect. By comparison, emblems are quite easy to get with very little effort as it is in STO, ignoring any foundry missions.

The real issue is that short simplistic missions should not reward the same as long, complex missions. Fix that issue and having short simple missions becomes irrelevant.

And if you think everything published is crap and people need to be bribed to play it, well then you should just give up. There are a lot of very good missions out there, and the rating system works well for them. The reward system does not. But if you think they are all crap, then I don't know what you expect.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Again, I don't consider it an exploit.
Well, I respect your opinion, but you donīt get to decide whatīs an exploit and whatīs not. Cryptic does. And I think they made it very clear that accolade grinders without any real story or one-click adventures are abuses of the Foundry. A system that is intended to create cool Star Trek missions. Would you enjoy an episode of Star Trek that had Picard or Kirk just beam in somewhere, click a button and then "The End" pops up ?
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-04-2011, 12:53 PM
The more of these threads I see the more I wish cryptic was more proactive against exploiters.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Cryptic only has so many resources at their disposal. If they put someone farming through every single UGC mission to try to catch exploiters then that's one less person who can be doing something else. Maybe from the players' standpoint it would be great if they just had a full time person policing the Foundry. That person could not only squash exploit missions but could actually add mission rewards to Foundry content on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that sort of time investment is not going to fly with any game company.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Cryptic only has so many resources at their disposal. If they put someone farming through every single UGC mission to try to catch exploiters then that's one less person who can be doing something else. Maybe from the players' standpoint it would be great if they just had a full time person policing the Foundry. That person could not only squash exploit missions but could actually add mission rewards to Foundry content on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that sort of time investment is not going to fly with any game company.
Or as I said many times before...disable the ability to accumulate kills towards accolades in the foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Well, I respect your opinion, but you donīt get to decide whatīs an exploit and whatīs not. Cryptic does. And I think they made it very clear that accolade grinders without any real story or one-click adventures are abuses of the Foundry. A system that is intended to create cool Star Trek missions. Would you enjoy an episode of Star Trek that had Picard or Kirk just beam in somewhere, click a button and then "The End" pops up ?

Sure, Cryptic doesn't want these "exploit" missions to exist. The problem is, it is their Foundry that allows them to exist. The Foundry lets you publish a mission which only requires a single console click to win. The Foundry lets you put in dozens of encounter groups with no real story to it. Rather than punish people who do exactly what the Foundry lets them do, why not fix the Foundry so they can't do it?

They could have Foundry missions require minimums in certain areas. They could cap the number of kills that count towards accolades in Foundry missions.

If any episode of Star Trek had Picard or Kirk beam in somewhere, click a button, then end the episode, Star Trek would be out of business. But Foundry authors don't get anything for their efforts. Giving people toys then punishing them for using them in ways you don't like is a bit silly when those toys could have built in safeguards.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd rather they just make it so kills don't count towards accolades than put in a bunch of limitations. Making more restrictions is a bad thing. It might not seem like a problem, but who knows what scenario will arise where it becomes one? Maybe you want to have two sides in a war zone fighting it out, and most of the kills will be NPC on NPC, but now you're not able to do so, because you've put too many enemies compared to the other objectives.

I personally don't know why people get so wrapped up in the accolade nonsense. I really never have seen the appeal to it. But if it really bothers people then it's better to just not let the kills count towards the accolades, rather than make it so using the Foundry is even more restricted than it already is.

As far as the "daily" goes, I think people need to just stop worrying about it. A small amount of emblems and exp, once per day, is not a big deal, even if people do exploit it. I agree it should be time based instead of mission based, but either way the ability to exploit it is extremely limited.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-07-2011, 03:09 AM
If Cryptic had intended for an exploit like this, they would have linked the fountain at Quinn's office to the click mission themselves.
"Play 3 times in the fountain everyday to earn some emblems...." :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
If Cryptic had intended for an exploit like this, they would have linked the fountain at Quinn's office to the click mission themselves.
"Play 3 times in the fountain everyday to earn some emblems...." :p
They probably didn't want people to do it, but I'm sure they realized it was possible for it to potentially be exploited, so they made it a daily with limited rewards to minimize the exploit potential. If it weren't for concerns about exploits there's no reason they wouldn't have just made all Foundry missions offer exp and emblems.