Lt. Commander
# 141
07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
i too spent time sunday on tribble checking things out. I can not wait for the Doff and season 4 will be great. sure things need tweaking here and there but all in all great job.
Lt. Commander
# 142
07-06-2011, 05:01 AM
I think the minimum number of players for the PvE queue has been reduced to 5 players by now instead of 10.
That's a good number for any fleetaction and matches a full team.
Allthough I will miss the ability to pop a new instance and get a headstart on points until more players trickle in and help with teh tougher objectives.
Lt. Commander
# 143
07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
Uh...unless I missed something, it's not a FPS mode as it's over the shoulder so it's TPS mode or third person shooter. Also, as has been mentioned by DStahl and others, location based hitboxes are not part of this game's engine as it is based on traditional MMO's where a hit is a hit. I think people need to get it out of their head that this is not COD, Halo, or Battlefield.

To his credit he never mentioned that he thought this was COD,Halo,Battlefield or any other FPS shooter.He simply said what was the point of aiming if the guns arent going to hit where you are aiming anyways? If they arent going to hit where you are aiming than I see shooter mode as a complete waste of R&D resources.I know I'm probably the minority in that mold of thinking but I am not impressed by it at all.
Lt. Commander
# 144
07-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtRhodes
To his credit he never mentioned that he thought this was COD,Halo,Battlefield or any other FPS shooter.He simply said what was the point of aiming if the guns arent going to hit where you are aiming anyways? If they arent going to hit where you are aiming than I see shooter mode as a complete waste of R&D resources.I know I'm probably the minority in that mold of thinking but I am not impressed by it at all.
Perhaps if shooter mode was renamed "free aim mode" it'd be more clear the pros/cons of using it. Probably the most obvious is that it's just plain more fun to play! Since that's not your thing (and I agree that you are probably in the minority with that view), there are other reasons to try it: such as rapidly changing your targets and being able to lob grenades over objects that you would otherwise be unable to do. Can you misfire? Of course, but chalk that up to realism. If you just hate the new system, you still get faster combat and can keep RPG mode exclusively.

The bottom line is when STO first came out (and the reviews are still easily accessible online) they listed a number of big problems with it. By and large, all these big problems except one have been resolved -- ground combat. By making it a major focus of Season 4, now space *and* ground combat should be enjoyable to the vast majority of the playerbase -- and that makes a healthier and more stable game for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 145
07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtRhodes

I wish they would just call it "Sniper Mode". Its good for that.
Lt. Commander
# 146
07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
So guys and gals what do we get for last weekend ???
Lt. Commander
# 147
07-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaifizz View Post
Oh
I want my socks made with human skin !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSteel
Wow I thought I was bad... I just wanted gloves made from human skin... :p

Salut Mon ami btw.
Perhaps you two should consider seeing a therapist.......
(you reminded me of one of my favorite "scary" movies. "Ed Gein".... really creepy, and TRUE)

Now, on topic....

I really like the new shooter mode, and the back end updates made the game SOOOO much smoother on my sad little laptop...TY Cryptic!!

I did experience more server disconnects on Tribble than Holodeck, but I'm sure that will be resolved. I suspect my internet connection may be the culprit, and I'm investigating that (I'll find that little gremlin eventually).

Overall I have to say I had a blast, and I can't wait to see what my new shiny will be...
(Sparkle Space Pony for the WIN!!!)

Did anybody ever find out how long you had to be online to qualify?
Lt. Commander
# 148
07-06-2011, 08:09 AM
i tried that shooter mode, imo as long as its optional its fine, but imo again the shooter mode offers nothing to the game in reality, its all auto aim with no hitboxes, so no headshots, i fail to see the point if its all done for you by script. you want to do a proper shooter mode? look at BF2, COD and RTCW:ET as examples, you can take headshots which can kill an enemy far faster then bodyshots, shooting the arms or legs also impacts their movement ability. this game fails to live up to its shooter, besides this, you are entirely reliant on knowing your binds to work around the inherent disability that mmos require, complete interaction.

the only thing i like about the weapons improvement is the sniper range extension and the rapid fire of weapons.

as mentioned as long as the shooter remains optional, its not a problem. besides this, i do think the fed compression rifle when on pulse burst could do with a sound more like a quantum torpedo launch rather then a generic sound which grates after a while.
Lt. Commander
# 149
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
are we getting the update today? are there incoming patch notes for Live server?

also, what do you guys think we'll get for this tribble test weekend?
Lt. Commander
# 150
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
so are we getting season 4 today? tomorrow? some update info would be nice guys. The event calander says July 6 - 8, today is the 6th and I see no changes, so whats the deal?

Sorry but i'm itching for something new, tribble got me hooked