Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
07-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
I remember them mentioning some where that they tried to do full up and down arcs but using Champions Online to do it, and the ships didn't look right some how.. I Don't know what they were refering to, but I do recall that statement being made.
It doesn't look right if you look at the IP examples of space combat, I think. No full 3D ever will. (And the existing full 3D games for the IP prove that, im my opinion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
Mhh I think I remember an old DOS/WIndows 95 game called Descent with full 360 degree rotation, banking, rolling, you name it :p
Shouldn't be that hard. And for the noobies it had automatic angle correction.
The only 3D Shooter I was ever good at. Because most people are good at bunny hopping, but not on full 3D orientation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
07-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Perhaps, but even if the angle was increased to a mere 80 degrees, it'd alleviate most of the problem. As it stands now, there's just no good reason for it to be left in this state, and I can't think why anyone thought this would be a good way to do it.
True, but a quick look at Mustrum's thread makes a pretty good argument for why something like 67.5 degrees, something less "drastic" might be ideal.

I keep trying to go with the minimalist method of change because while 80 degrees could be just fine, Cryptic has expressed that they won't do full 3D and people just don't like change...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
Mhh I think I remember an old DOS/WIndows 95 game called Descent with full 360 degree rotation, banking, rolling, you name it :p
Shouldn't be that hard. And for the noobies it had automatic angle correction.

But seriously, if full 3D movement would be too hard for the noobs, create in fact an option to keep the 'old' movement possible, like they do now with the new Shooter mode which is 'Optional'. Too bad if its a limitation and unfair, but there is always the option....
Or just add auto correct roll option to it. So when you pull the nose up, you end up upside down but it would auto roll you for 180 degrees. That way a player would always be right side up
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
While I would like full 3D, have no hope that it will be implemented.

As has been pointed out, consider how FailTastic the average Feddie PVE'er is and then realize half of them are worse...

HOWEVER, seems Mustrum's idea of 67.5 deg Z axis angle is a fairly small & simple change that should not be hard to implement and solves the broken "blind spot" mechanic. Has a Dev ever commented on this and why it has not been introduced in game? Mustrum?

Cheers,

Waff
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
While I would like full 3D, have no hope that it will be implemented.

As has been pointed out, consider how FailTastic the average Feddie PVE'er is and then realize half of them are worse...

HOWEVER, seems Mustrum's idea of 67.5 deg Z axis angle is a fairly small & simple change that should not be hard to implement and solves the broken "blind spot" mechanic. Has a Dev ever commented on this and why it has not been introduced in game? Mustrum?

Cheers,

Waff
I can only speculate.

It is possible that this is really only an issue for a minority of the players (NPCs don't circle upwards and are killed by Escorts way too fast even if they would), and the feedback has not been massive enough for it to become a major concern. It could just as well be that no Cryptic employee has really followed the discussion any further.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
When it comes to increasing the angle, I honestly have to say "NO", not until Cryptic lowers the DPS of cannons. Spiraling up has saved me many times from cannon escorts, since I'm not at the level of tanking with immunity like TSI.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
07-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Relying on broken mechanics has saved many a player.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
07-05-2011, 03:04 PM
It also, gets them merely tied for second on damage charts :p

If I can tank vs cannons in my escort azzy, you have no excuse for not being able to do so in a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
When it comes to increasing the angle, I honestly have to say "NO", not until Cryptic lowers the DPS of cannons. Spiraling up has saved me many times from cannon escorts, since I'm not at the level of tanking with immunity like TSI.
Hmm... lemme guess... spiraling beam escort?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Only on one character. :p

But the one thing I hate the most in STO PvP is how easily Cannon Escorts can go through player shields, even when buffed. That's exactly why new players often regard the Klingons as OP, because all that focus fire with cannons. And getting out of that firing arc is the only real way to buy you time.

The only ones that benefit from this is Escorts, which will further encourage more players to play escorts than cruisers and science ships because there will not be any way to escape.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM.