Lt. Commander
# 1 Carrier spam
07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Been having alot of trouble on PVP with Klink carriers. They spawn too many ships and i have a hard time attacking a target, supporting a friendly then going back to the original target but end up lossing it in the 6 million raptors and other asorted junk that they fling out.

Anyone know of a way of keeping a target in their sights so they have a chance of doing enough damage to the right target?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-03-2011, 03:42 PM
It's rather tedious but I think you can type /target PLAYERSNAME to require a target. You can bind this, but it involves redoing your binds every time you meet knew opponents. There are options to turn on or off various targeting reticules and names but that limits situational awareness too. We've been asking for quite some time now for an enhancement to the targeting and UI in general. What we really need seems very simple:
  • Add an option that operates like Tab Targeting but allows us to cycle through other players only, ignoring spam. The existing option to ignore objects does not work.
  • Allow us to customize our targeting indicators so we can better differentiate between the target we have selected, and all of the other clutter on the screen. On the Klink side especially, the color of the ship you are targeting doesn't stick out enough in the crowd so it's easy to get lost during high speed maneuvers.

Months ago there was a post in which they claimed that they would be having their software engineers look into the targeting option to ignore NPCs. I don't think I've seen anything else about it though. :/
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-04-2011, 01:38 AM
I hate the spam, not because of the dmg, but because of the clutter on the screen, the constant noises, shaking of screen and other crap that is pretty annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-04-2011, 01:53 AM
you think it was bad now, a few months ago you could not move for spam.

i still think there needs to be an easy button to target players only to avoid the spam. some sort of advanced tab.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-04-2011, 01:59 AM
A good part of carrier defense IS the spam. It's already the biggest, slowest tugboat in game with only six weapon slots and limited engineering bo slots. The fighters don't do nearly enough damage and the bops are on a long launch timer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-04-2011, 05:20 AM
how in the world can you not see your target? their is not that much spam its just you all cry over little things. how close are you zoomed to your ship? if you pull it back then you can see and the carrier now can only have about 16 fighters at anyone time and they are very very small. do you use tab targeting? if you do then try just clicking the enemy. sry if this sounds all rude and stuff but i am just saying.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-04-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm guessing the tactics used are similar to a fleetmate of mine. Jaming Sensors while spamming will take you off of your target and leave you shooting spam.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
A good part of carrier defense IS the spam. It's already the biggest, slowest tugboat in game with only six weapon slots and limited engineering bo slots. The fighters don't do nearly enough damage and the bops are on a long launch timer.
This is true. However, like the issue with the insufficient z-axis climb which allows Beam Boats to hide in artificial Cannon Blind Spots, it's an abuse of a lazy or inadequate mechanics. If the amount of garbage on screen could be dealt with more effectively, maybe we could finally dispel the myth that Carriers are so over powered and give them some of their buff back. I actually have the same hopes for other things like Mine spam. Better targeting might allow us to reduce the amount of spam while giving mines (and heavy torpedoes which are also targetable) a defense value so they can potentially be missed and boosting their overall impact on gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhamen View Post
how in the world can you not see your target? their is not that much spam its just you all cry over little things. how close are you zoomed to your ship? if you pull it back then you can see and the carrier now can only have about 16 fighters at anyone time and they are very very small. do you use tab targeting? if you do then try just clicking the enemy. sry if this sounds all rude and stuff but i am just saying.
We all know that Carriers make a perfect scapegoat. If it wasn't Carriers taking the blame it would be something else. Even though this thread may have been started in regards to Carrier clutter specifically, the issue with NPC objects spamming the screen is not specific to any single faction. Feds can and do put out their own insane amount of spam which at this point has no truly effective means of controlling it (aside from some broken powers like BFAW).

The truth is, something is always going to take the blame for people's failures. Just because Carriers are NOT actually OP (or spam is only effective not because of their proc rates but because of the sheer amount that can be produced) doesn't mean that there aren't some things that need to be done to help improve game play. It's supposed to be about fun, and it is mostly, until certain poorly constructed or poorly thought out mechanics are utilized.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
I'm guessing the tactics used are similar to a fleetmate of mine. Jaming Sensors while spamming will take you off of your target and leave you shooting spam.
That right there is actually a really smart and effective use which I'd venture to say is working exactly as it should. The general targeting difficulty shouldn't be quite as frustratingly obnoxious as it is right now but what you've described, assuming I read it right, is a pretty brilliant tactic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
That right there is actually a really smart and effective use which I'd venture to say is working exactly as it should. The general targeting difficulty shouldn't be quite as frustratingly obnoxious as it is right now but what you've described, assuming I read it right, is a pretty brilliant tactic.
It's very effective!