Lt. Commander
# 21
07-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
  • Add an option that operates like Tab Targeting but allows us to cycle through other players only, ignoring spam. The existing option to ignore objects does not work.
  • Allow us to customize our targeting indicators so we can better differentiate between the target we have selected, and all of the other clutter on the screen. On the Klink side especially, the color of the ship you are targeting doesn't stick out enough in the crowd so it's easy to get lost during high speed maneuvers.
Let's hope good ideas are like wines and age gracefully. ... I would buy this option as a pvp only unlock from c-store. How about a device for 8000 CP that does the above for 3 hours game time from the inventory?
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Look around 6 months ago and you will find a few carrier pet threads. They nerfed them by either 30-45 pets total each one could release. So, if you think now is bad before there was about 30 more per ship out there. Add the scorpion fighters and 1 carrier alone was putting upwards of 150 spam targets out. Hence they nerfed scorpions as well down to 3 from 5. Can't say there is an easy way to avoid the ships. Target a friendly and then target his target and hopefully its a player ship.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerV
Look around 6 months ago and you will find a few carrier pet threads. They nerfed them by either 30-45 pets total each one could release. So, if you think now is bad before there was about 30 more per ship out there. Add the scorpion fighters and 1 carrier alone was putting upwards of 150 spam targets out. Hence they nerfed scorpions as well down to 3 from 5. Can't say there is an easy way to avoid the ships. Target a friendly and then target his target and hopefully its a player ship.
The problem is that no decent PvPer is using FAW.. CSV/GW and such skills are decent counters.. But they are too limited to counter much more than 1 Carriers worth of spam.

Like I said.. Relying on huge numbers of spams (mines or pets) is a clever (albeit cheap) tactic, when the best AOE ability is avoided by the good PvPers.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
We faced similar Carrier Spam yesterday (Hi Lore )

Unfortunately that means we'll probably have to cowardly avoid FvK for now
A better reason for avoiding FvK is our A-team which doesn't use any carriers, FAW, or SS3
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
A better reason for avoiding FvK is our A-team which doesn't use any carriers, FAW, or SS3
Negative..

I dont mind being beaten by a better team.. I mind being beaten by mediocre players using broken abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-06-2011, 05:18 AM
use beam fire at will, or cannon rapid fire, and those fighters are good as dead. believe it or not, but i only seen a klingon or two play a carrier with skill. open fire from 10k on fighters using above abilities, then work on that carrier before the cooldown on launch fighters is up. remember that cruisers have alot of science/engineering abilities so they can heal themselves fast.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpickles View Post
use beam fire at will, or cannon rapid fire, and those fighters are good as dead. believe it or not, but i only seen a klingon or two play a carrier with skill. open fire from 10k on fighters using above abilities, then work on that carrier before the cooldown on launch fighters is up. remember that cruisers have alot of science/engineering abilities so they can heal themselves fast.
FAW is broken, in that it gives something like 4 times the damageboost that a DPS skill like CRF does..

Its a skill for people that cannot compete without broken powers.

CRF is not a AOE skill, I think you are referring to CSV.. CSV is decent at clearing the spam, but like I said in my previous post, it effectively neutralizes a enemy DPS ship, leaving the match more of a 5v4 thing.. And, ofcourse, its useless against spam from more than one ship.. Have two carriers as healers and you tie up two DPS ships, without any drop in healing efficiency.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
A good part of carrier defense IS the spam. It's already the biggest, slowest tugboat in game with only six weapon slots and limited engineering bo slots. The fighters don't do nearly enough damage and the bops are on a long launch timer.
then the whole concept of how carriers work is just nonsense, if it means to spam the battlefield with it.

In my opinion all the gimmicky stuff like photonic fleet, carrier spam, fleet support and very much all science super powers should be removed and replaced with someting that makes more sense and looks less cartoonish.

Give all ships the option to set their energy weapon strength, energy allocations should be much more meaningful (more like Bridge Commander), give all ships tractor beams, but make them more power consuming.
Make space combat less fast paced and arcade, but rather strategic, let us "feel" that our ships are huge and not some small fighter craft.

Less shallowness, more game depth.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok just tried some of the suggestions in a PVP match and a there was a marked improvment when a carrier reared its ugly head. Asking questions surprisingly works.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Ok you want to take care of carrier spam and spam in general, heres what you do. FAW, Warp plasma(will kill any fighter who touches it) gravity well, or CSV. I have laid plasma and it has cleared the entire spam of 2 carriers in combination with 2 beam arrays on FAW. this will cut the spam out of the equation for a while and might do some serious damage to the carrier.