Lt. Commander
# 1 STO on Onlive
07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Dont supose any body knows if STO will be available on onlive or maybe useing Gaikai any time soon? Its just my desktop is the only pc powerful enough to play STO properly, my laptop isnt good enough. if it was part of a cloud gaming platform i could play almost 24/7 !!

please tell me there may be plans for it in the future?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I donīt even know what these things are, sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I do not think Onlive will ever carry MMO's to be honest. If they do, then it will probably be in the far future. I can't say anything about the other one you mentioned though.

Link to Onlive for those that do not know what it is.
http://www.onlive.com/#1
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenOBi-D View Post
Dont supose any body knows if STO will be available on onlive or maybe useing Gaikai any time soon? Its just my desktop is the only pc powerful enough to play STO properly, my laptop isnt good enough. if it was part of a cloud gaming platform i could play almost 24/7 !!

please tell me there may be plans for it in the future?
I never heard of them
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I think he made them up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-03-2011, 03:06 PM
they both allow you to play games via the cloud (basiclly all the graphics stuff is done on there servers and the visuals is streamed to your pc either via a bit of client software or your browser). onlive is for the general public while gaikai is for games developers. they use gaikai's servers and expertise to allow there games to be accessable to any pc (or mobile device in some cases) via a web browser. doesnt matter about the spec of the pc as all the processing is done by there servers.

I want them to do it so i can play STO on my poo work laptop
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-03-2011, 03:09 PM
or you could, ya know...'work'
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
You can set up a system like that in your home, letting the game run on your desktop and stream to another computer. All the home options for it tend to be a big laggy, but having gigabit wired connections everywhere pretty much solves that. There's even programs that would let you access remotely via the internet, but they tend to be REALLY laggy and low frame rate, and there's even ways to make it work through an iphone (there's a number of articles about doing this with WoW, same process would work with STO), but at that point you're doing it to say, "Look, I'm playing a PC game on my iPhone," not because it's in any way playable or enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-03-2011, 04:38 PM
wow. Onlive really need to spend some money on advertising.

It is an interesting concept and I think they have been running for a while now (BT got the rights for the UK service..if it ever arrives)

Buying a game and then being able to play it from any system with a decent internet connection is in my eyes an awesome idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
I never heard of them
They advertise a lot on YouTube. I can't watch a video without seeing an advertisement for this.