Lt. Commander
Obviously you are to if this has happened to you. I get a 1 star review because this guy says the starting point isn't listed, IT IS. In big green letters after your BO gets through briefing you on what to do. I played my mission immediatly after I published it and I saw the words telling you where to go. This crap makes me want to no even try to create a mission. I know it was just this guy but sometimes that's enough. People who sympathize you can post whatever you like. People who do this lazy act... well never mind, you won't even read this!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I had a guy one star me because he actually had to walk a lil ways to get to his next contact. But i guess those people will always be around. It is highly annoying though, putting in all the work to build a mission an have people not like it or not even give it a real try.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-03-2011, 03:51 PM
To make you feel better every time I do a mission that I haven't done before I read the text even if it is long winded. (not to say that yours is as I'm not sure if I've even done it) But I can understand why it is annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislove View Post
Obviously you are to if this has happened to you. I get a 1 star review because this guy says the starting point isn't listed, IT IS. In big green letters after your BO gets through briefing you on what to do.
Sorry, and let me stop you right here! Please, consider leaving bread-crumbs (regarding where to go next) not only in BO-briefings but also in objectives that appear on the mission-tracker.

The reason being that a lot of players will not remember dialog bits and pieces and worse, people may play your missions differently than you do so expecting them to remember and follow dialogs may not work out in the long run.

It's up to you in the end, but there's a reason most of the missions Cryptic makes have clear instructions of where to go in the mission-tracker.

Lt. Commander
# 5
07-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Sorry, and let me stop you right here! Please, consider leaving bread-crumbs (regarding where to go next) not only in BO-briefings but also in objectives that appear on the mission-tracker.

The reason being that a lot of players will not remember dialog bits and pieces and worse, people may play your missions differently than you do so expecting them to remember and follow dialogs may not work out in the long run.

It's up to you in the end, but there's a reason most of the missions Cryptic makes have clear instructions of where to go in the mission-tracker.

I get that... but there is simply a small paragraph to accept the mission with the instructions right after, the simlple truth is if the player takes the half second to read it then there would be no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Yea LordOfPit. I have a guy that claims that my mission dosen't work and that I have to fix it, gives me a 1 rating.

Interestingly enough I have 104 other people who have played it, and finished it, All of thoose could find the white circle on the map, and/or the blinking beacon...

Sorry. Have to agree with OP here... If people only had a little common sence and read the text they might have a easier time doing things... really... its 2 lines with 5 words each... shouldn be that hard.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Sorry, but I'm not just playing your mission. Yous isn't the only one available, and searching is clunky. Yours is generally going to be one of usually three promising-looking missions I pick up at the start of a session before running them, maybe more than that if I know I'll be on for a few good hours.

Yes, I read your dialog. It's the reason the mission's in my log and not dropped, you managed to hook me. But if yours isn't the first one I do, meaning it's not the closest one to my current location, if I don't remember where you said to start by the time I get to your mission it's getting dropped, and while I'll watch for it I can't promise it'll be the first one to catch my eye when I search for a replacement.

Now, if I'm forced to drop your mission for this reason, I'm going to be nice enough and not rate the mission, because I consider a decent hook worth at least some benefit of the doubt. But that rating dialog pops up when I drop it.

Just sayin.

Quote:

I'd color this green if that practice carried any weight on this forum.

Edit: At the very least, put it where it'll show in the mission text in the journal if by some reason you don't want it in the objective tracker.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
I get that... but there is simply a small paragraph to accept the mission with the instructions right after, the simlple truth is if the player takes the half second to read it then there would be no problem.
can i ask did you only write it in the opening dialogue?

if you did then the information really needs to be at least in the mission overview text that you can access any time (and ideally) in the first misison goal.

the problem with only writing it in the opening text is that people do tend to click through the opening text, or they read it then get distracted and forget where it is, or they accept the mission but dont plan on doing it straight away.

you need to hold people's hands.

people should read it, but they dont. ive accepted missions, read the text, been distracted by something and forgotten where to go. if the information is not in one of the two other places then the only way to check is to then drop the mission and re-take it. you never, under any circumstances, want someone to drop your mission as there is a good chance they wont retake it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Obviously you are to if this has happened to you. I get a 1 star review because this guy says the starting point isn't listed, IT IS. In big green letters after your BO gets through briefing you on what to do. I played my mission immediatly after I published it and I saw the words telling you where to go. This crap makes me want to no even try to create a mission. I know it was just this guy but sometimes that's enough. People who sympathize you can post whatever you like. People who do this lazy act... well never mind, you won't even read this!
If you choose to not put the starting point on the objective list where it can always be seen, instead of only on a pop-up that can't be seen again if someone accepts a few missions at a time, or exits the game and comes back later to play, then you like many others are your own worst enemy.

Having it in a dialogue pop-up is fine, but make sure that when someone looks at the mission check-off list they can see where to go right there. I like to grab a few missions at a time as I skim the list, and all too often I have to drop some because the location info was only on a long gone pop-up. Look at cryptic missions, you can accept lots of them then look at the objective list days later and see where to go.

People will have something like - meet up with the USS Someship as the objective, if I'm not playing the mission right away I have no idea where the Someship is, so depending on how interested I am I may just drop it and move to another mission -more likely- , or drop it and retake the mission again -less likely-.

So if you are going to get upset, direct your anger at yourself, not the person that can't see location info on the objective list that you didn't put there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote:
I actually found that some definitely don't seem to have clear instructions. They might include the system name, but not the Sector Block. I hate that, it's just as bad as with Foundry missions.

But I think Cryptic should work on a few simple things:
  1. Highlight mission doors on the map.
  2. Listen the mission door as additional "meta-information" on the mission description, regardless of what the author (including themself) does. THis could avoid so many issues and standardize the whole (or)deal. And hey, it would even "nerf" those exploiters.

Something far more complex but apparantly something on their schedule at some point:
  • Auto-Pilot over several sector blocks.
  • Collapsing the entire sector block system to a single map.