Lt. Commander
# 1 Boffs and Melee Combat
07-04-2011, 02:02 PM
long time reader and have been thinking recently about boffs and if Melee boffs are worth it now , i remember months back it not being worth it to give them a melee weapon for the reason they barely could use the weapon right , is it still like that?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
By melee I assume you are referring to bat'leths and other hand-to-hand items?

I honestly don't know how effective they would be with such weapons. I suppose if you created a tactical BO with skills designed to increase the effectiveness of hand-to-hand combat (Lunge and other skills that enhance strength and speed) and equipped it with a melee weapon it would make some difference. I don't know if there are parser programs available for STO, but if there are, you could do some tests and see.

As for myself, I occasionally look at the weapons I pick up during missions vs what my away team has and try to keep them reasonably equipped. I do the same thing for shields and suits.

I don't know if its worth giving BOFF's items such as shield batteries, hypo's and food, because while I don't know for sure, I think they probably use them the instant their health and/or shields go down. However, I usually give them such items if my inventory is full to make room for good stuff I may get, until I can get to the bank.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I gave my Diplomacy Gorn Tactical BO a Bat'leth and set him to work... It doesn't work very well, even with Lunge and "Sweeping Strikes" (which, apparently, BOs won't ever use; it's marked red).

He'll move up and attack, then look confused for a moment after his enemy drops. He'll run back over to me, then remember he should be murdering Borg and run back to the battlefield. What this means is that, 50% of the time, he's not attacking: he's running back and forth, getting shot at.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I have some vulcan (Lirpa) and Gorn (Bat'leth) melee Boffs and find it best if you target them so they stick on an enemy. They did seem to use sweeping strike and ability was not red for me.
Good for holding enemies at range.
Check you haven't double selected it by accident which turns it off (red) from boff auto selecting.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doninja View Post
I have some vulcan (Lirpa) and Gorn (Bat'leth) melee Boffs and find it best if you target them so they stick on an enemy. They did seem to use sweeping strike and ability was not red for me.
Good for holding enemies at range.
Check you haven't double selected it by accident which turns it off (red) from boff auto selecting.
Is marked red for me the sweeping of my boff can't put green or white. Not sure why.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-08-2011, 04:35 AM
I currently have a Caitan BoFF who uses a batleth and is doing just fine with it. Sometimes after her target is taken out, she will run back over to me before heading off to a new target, but other wise does just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite View Post
Is marked red for me the sweeping of my boff can't put green or white. Not sure why.
Most likely because Sweeping Strikes no longer has a cooldown, and my guess is that without a cooldown, the BOFFs would use it constantly over any other skill they possess.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Itís just not worth it. The Bridge Officer just swings too slow for the melee weapon to do any real damage.
I tried it with my Saurian Boff just too see what kind of damage output it would give.
Mind you that this Boff has a +18% Physical Damage as his trait, and equipping him with a Physical Augmentation Armor that gives a +10% Physical Damage, and me being a Science Officer I would give him a shot of Dylovene III from my kit which gives a +33% Physical Melee Damage for 30sec (it was 45sec B 4 Season 4 )
I thought WOW I now have a Super Bridge officer that can kick some butt, but no, the toon is just too slow when he swings that thing. Iíve seen old ladies swing purses faster than my Boff .

Cryptic needs to program the Bridge Officers with the Melee combo attack for them to be usefull.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-16-2011, 06:23 PM
its not about speed, damage, or what ever other complaint you may have.

it the face that they cant switch weapons period. the Melee Weapons on our own characters were Intended as a secondary fallback for countering Melee Heavy NPC"s like a fix for the Dohar Master one shot !@$%#%^ <well you know the appropriate swear name>. (The key point I'm making there, it didn't work.) it is not Intended as a stand on its own get up and kill it main weapon.

So in conclusion, it needs more stat testing and Boff's a need second melee only slot to ever use them effectively. oh and in case you think you can best that complaint, they cant switch weapons ........... period.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Even if they did combos now, the fights are usually too short for it to matter. The changes to the timers on S.D. hypospray haven't helped either (30 sec uptime, followed by 90 sec of waiting). My days of effectively pumping my captin full of roids err S.D hypospray's appear to have ended.