Lt. Commander
# 1 Beams: Sfc3 Style
07-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Beams in that game were varied more wildly on stats. They had the position where the weapon was placed on the ship determine the firing arc in that game, eliminating the variance between beams in terms of arc.

They had variation in base level phaser 1-10

They had regular phaser 10(one pulse normal recharge normal power drain)
phaser 10f (fast firing multiple pulses (like sto is now) more power drain overall longer recharge over normal
phaser10x(one pulse longer recharge higher power drain)

they also let u manually adjust EACH weapons power in the game, enabling an OVERLOAD mode, which on each of these beams would have varying effect, all of them actually damaging the weapon slowly over each firing.

the game was way more complicated and interconnected system wise, way.. better. just a window into a world of could have beens, instead of all phasewrs and beams following the same firing pattern in the galaxy..........
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Though an interesting idea, in practice for people, more micro management = less fun.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOX Chi
Though an interesting idea, in practice for people, more micro management = less fun.
Baaa too many kids playing this game then... perhaps a Star Trek Facebook game would be more to there liking.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-03-2011, 09:20 AM
SFC3 was snails pace, and I don't mind slow pace but it took forever for weapons to recharge, and when they did you could unload onto an enemy and watch as nothing happened as most of your shots missed. The equipment weight system was silly too.

So far, Bridge Commander is IMO the only Trek game that has the most trek-ish feel and most sensible mechanics. But's its a sim not an rpg.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I admit, it would be interesting if we could, by option, have some more micromanaging options, Like being able to shift power to rear turrets should an enemy stick to your aft thus increasing your rear DPS to convince them its a bad place to be.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
If we ever get a Beam overhaul (like Hale was suggesting), then I think F and X modifiers would be kinda neat.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't know if I agree with the Idea or not. More Micromangement can make things more complicated. Baby Steps need to be handled for changes to the game now.

And Yes, the new ground combat is a baby step. It's not too complicated, but it's enough to give you a shooter feel. In the Space part, if they were to make things more challanging where you'd have to have Macros set up to fire every weapon at the right power setting, it might turn people off the game.

How ever if they first did something to the Z Axis arcing to improve it more. Then later added in Warp Cores, where you could micromanage your power settingis through that sort of thing.. I could eventually see something like this being implimented.

But not with the way the game is now. And it seems like something that could take a loooong time for them to eventually bring into the game with what ever plans they have for the development future of the game. (And we all know it'll probobly go F2P in another year or two..)
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
(And we all know it'll probobly go F2P in another year or two..)
Champions already has, CoX is about to, it's only a matter of time now...
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
This actually sounds kind of interesting, and one way to implement it, if I'm understanding what is being suggested correctly, might be to involve crafting. Rather than having so many crazy variations of everything out there available only through cluttered vendors or random drops, why not add depth and purpose to an existing element of the game? People could bring their current Array to Memory Alpha and with the right equipment, time, or money they could alter it to be whichever type of Beam they want? Talk about enhancing variety!
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoeJoe
Beams in that game were varied more wildly on stats. They had the position where the weapon was placed on the ship determine the firing arc in that game, eliminating the variance between beams in terms of arc.
(...)
the game was way more complicated and interconnected system wise, way.. better. just a window into a world of could have beens, instead of all phasewrs and beams following the same firing pattern in the galaxy..........
The good thing about STO is a certain action element that SFC3 lacked, but it came at a heavy price. The dumbification of game systems for the masses has as usual gone too far and made the game too simple. But for some reason Cryptic still insists on some ships being incredibly slow to turn, something which I hated in SFC3 already and therefore preferred Klingon vessels a lot.