Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Given this was an topic being discussed during Tribble Beta I am disappointed to see that it continues to be unaddressed and in fact, put of for another unknown period of time.

It is just very disheartening to hear nothing but silence on this topic, again and again.

I can not call it disrespectful though, they can decide to implement features or not on their own agenda, but I really had hoped something would have been done in this time, and now they are still collecting data... Very disheartening to hear.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-08-2011, 01:27 AM
The devs will never respond to this thread, ever. And if they do, I... I don't know what to say. o_o

Sorry for being the pessimist here, but I know firsthand when threads don't get dev response, like my proposal for moving armor consoles for starships to a single separate slot like on officers.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Sigh, posting when mad is not a good idea...

I'll just stop, I guess. It's disappointing and frustrating. Enough said.
I see why it's disappointing and frustrating to wait even longer*. But unfortunately, it happens.

But I don't think that the reply in the Ask Cryptic was disrespectful.

*) And not just waiting longer - we don't know for sure the answer will be positive: "Yes, you'll get more slots". Maybe what their initial date is suggesting that it's not feasible to add more, that they are seeing problematic performance hits, and that they are hoping that they can fix it with Season 4 (or an even later Season?)
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-08-2011, 07:37 AM
In light of the Season 4 issues, are you really willing to pay for mission storage space with no guarantee that the data you store there will be protected?
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
There already is a solution. Get a second account.

You guys probably think I'm joking but I'm not. This is a long standing, tried and true MMO axiom. It goes all the way back to UO where it was rather common for players to make multiple accounts... for more characters, to have a second house, etc. If you are that hardcore about the game as your hobby, paying for another monthly subscription isn't a big deal.

Lastly, I just thought this was pretty funny:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i want new slots as much as anyone but their are bigger concerns than just the size of each slot. every time a mission is accessed or a map is played or a mission is created and published it takes up resources. its never as simple as the pure size of the file..
What you're saying here is that Cryptic has a vested interest in keeping players idle, hanging around ESD or sector space. No, this is not a valid reason. If they have too many players playing the game that their servers can't handle it, that's a good thing. It means more subscriptions, more revenue and, of course, leads to an investment in new hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune View Post
What you're saying here is that Cryptic has a vested interest in keeping players idle, hanging around ESD or sector space. No, this is not a valid reason. If they have too many players playing the game that their servers can't handle it, that's a good thing. It means more subscriptions, more revenue and, of course, leads to an investment in new hardware.
Actually, the thing is that every software platform initially supports a limited group of users, optimally.

With each change to the platform the number of users that can be optimally supported may change as well.

Sometimes, even throwing more hardware (money) at a platform to increase the number of optimally supported users doesn't work and in those cases more R&D is required.

In my opinion Cryptic wants to ensure this isn't the case, before they commit to allowing us to increase our resource consumption on their platform beyond the initial projected figures.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
this recent problems with the foundry from season 4, is probably reason enough for their wait and see approach.

the foundry has never been through a seasonal update yet. its first attempt left it beaten and broken to the point where several aspects were not working, some minor and some major. this is the first time (i think) that they have taken the foundry down on holodeck with maybe the exception of the first week.

if they had started giving out new slots, free and more importantly for money and then this same problem happened then people would be even angrier than they are now.

i know we as consumers want everything now, but there are reasons why they are doing what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
Lastly, I just thought this was pretty funny:

maybe you find it funny, but do you remember during the first two episodes of cloaked intentions where the servers died? do you remember when they did season 2 and the sever nearly exploded? i know you have been paying attention to the current problem with the foundry, where people may have lost their work and the foundry is down.

do you remember the amount of anger and hatred that filled up the forums? imagine if it started happening every single day, because of the foundry, because they went too quickly. imagine if they had to take the foundry down for an extended period of time after people have bought and paid for new slots.

that would not be a good thing.

these guys are experienced computer game designers. they know their system. if they say it has to wait then it has to wait. as a business they would love nothing more than getting more people in and using more slots, making more missions, buying more slots. if the system damn near blows up a result then its not a good thing. the foundry is still young, lets not kill it with impatience.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Meow, I think that there might be additional foundry sluts in the C-store for a cheap amount of AT's, purrhaps 8 more sluts for 160 AT's. I know that might be a bad step for sum people, butt those who are really interested in doing more episodes, would for sure take the oppurrtunity to do another 8 or even 16 episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
Meow, I think that there might be additional foundry sluts in the C-store for a cheap amount of AT's, purrhaps 8 more sluts for 160 AT's. I know that might be a bad step for sum people, butt those who are really interested in doing more episodes, would for sure take the oppurrtunity to do another 8 or even 16 episodes.
Ahemmm---*cough*
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-09-2011, 07:02 AM
in before edited.
rofl

also, yes more slots.

@ Altexist- FRAPS is my best friend. I screenshot or screencap nearly every character, map, dialogue, etc. i put into a mission that i plan on using in subsequent missions.

i did it mostly for myself, continuity, and such. not so much in case of...what has happened, but in light of what has happened..."phew" am i glad i did.