Lt. Commander
# 11
06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post
well, at least there can't be an interview that sucked more than this one.

I understand the desire to want to help market the game to the disabled, but honestly, dont make interviews public to the rest of us. if someone with disabilities watches that site and sees your interview, great! i hope they will try out STO and enjoy it as much as I will. however, when its posted on the main page as a major interview, it just doesnt sit well with me.
True. But as a note, not everyone who is disabled is born that way. Although unlikely, any of us can become disabled by the time STO releases - which does make that information all the more usefull. I only say this because it seemed to me like you were suggesting with a guarantee that the information could never be pertinent to us.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Liked the part about the wormhole, just wondering about how much we will be able to do in there!
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote:

I understand the desire to want to help market the game to the disabled, but honestly, don't make interviews public to the rest of us. if someone with disabilities watches that site and sees your interview, great! i hope they will try out STO and enjoy it as much as I will. however, when its posted on the main page as a major interview, it just doesn't sit well with me.
I find this post to be rather offensive to be honest. if you had read the text in the STO page of the announcement you would have realized that this was an interview that would be geared towards those with disabilities ( which incidentally, I have, my disabilities don't hamper my ability to play video games but they do hinder me in other ways.) And let me tell you, it is always frustrating to see something you want to try and then have to wonder in the back of your mind, "BUT CAN I ?" So to see you going out of your way, to post about how you are upset that you were not the target audience for an interview, that could put numerous people with hearing and visual disabilities at ease is rather, well a number of terms come to mind but the least offensive one I can think of would be pig headed.

as a trekkie If I was deaf or color blind I know that this interview would be a huge sigh of relief. and so I commend Rekhan for posting this as a major interview.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:

I understand the desire to want to help market the game to the disabled, but honestly, dont make interviews public to the rest of us. if someone with disabilities watches that site and sees your interview, great! i hope they will try out STO and enjoy it as much as I will. however, when its posted on the main page as a major interview, it just doesnt sit well with me.

Really? Do you think disabled people should have to discuss their gaming experience in a seperate section of the forum or maybe a seperate forum so they dont accidently make you uncomfortable?

I am not disabled but I am still interested in knowing how Cryptic and the gaming industry deals with these types of issues, so please speak for yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
For me it was a good interview, you can't expect Zinc to release a bunch of new info on every interview, and it's good to see that Cryptic is makeing this game for everyone.
I guess I'm no one to say this, but lately the forums look too agresive to my taste.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Anyone that's been to a Star Trek convention knows how important making STO accessible to disabled gamers is. Kudos to Cryptic PR for making this sort of outreach.

I'm not sure why it's making so many people PO'd. I mean there's not much new info... but what do you want? For the front page to only be updated when there is a "relevant" or "major" interview, and ignore everything else?
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyfelur View Post
Really? Do you think disabled people should have to discuss their gaming experience in a seperate section of the forum or maybe a seperate forum so they dont accidently make you uncomfortable?

I am not disabled but I am still interested in knowing how Cryptic and the gaming industry deals with these types of issues, so please speak for yourself.
Exactly. It's not a "weak' interview because it doesn't have much new information according to you. It had a lot of information about how the disabled will play, which is probably a very overlooked demographic when it comes to MMOs and games in general.

He even included some new info to satiate those who'd call this a "weak" interview, but even that didn't help. Ugh.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I loved the referance to how badly screwed up SWG has become.
Helps me hope that they are taking the Star Trek universe seriously, and aren't doing what Galaxies did - counting on name recognition to keep it alive.

Seriously, I don't know how Galaxies is even still running...
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Anyone that's been to a Star Trek convention knows how important making STO accessible to disabled gamers is.
I have been to tons of conventions here in Florida, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe your from a heavily handicapped area or something.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree that the information about the wormhole is probably what stands out the most about the interview for me, but it is nice to know a little bit more about some aspects of the game that are not really thought of quite as much. Although I am not disabled myself, it is nice to know that the developers are taking those who are into consideration when making the game -- which is obviously great given the wide scope of the Star Trek community.