Lt. Commander
# 31
06-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi.

As the person who did the interview I would like to thank those that gave us the kind words. For those that did not, I hope to god you never need the information we provide gamers, but given that 1 in 3 people over 65 are disabled, odds are you will eat your words some day. I went to work, Active Duty Air Force, and the next thing I know I am in a wheelchair. Everyone of you is only ONE BAD DAY away from being disabled. Trust me it was not on my plans the that morning I reported for duty.

It was not the best interview we did, because email interviews are not that great ever. As to why we asked some of the questions we asked is because those that read our site are not necessarily uber fans like many of you are here, so we have to assume that they are not following the game to the level you do, so a question about when it takes place is valid. Maybe some people that were NOT looking at this game are in fact looking at it now, and that is a win.

So, say what you want, but please let's not bash the disabled, if the interview did not WOW you, move on. But to post something that is just nasty only makes you look dumb, and will make for some great irony in the future.

Thank you... I have been waiting for this game for a while, I am a fan.

Mark Barlet
Editor-in-Chief of AbleGamers.com

PS. We did change the favicon, but some other module keep loading the default one. You can see ours at first, then the default. It is not worth my time to fix at the moment...
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post
well, at least there can't be an interview that sucked more than this one.

I understand the desire to want to help market the game to the disabled, but honestly, dont make interviews public to the rest of us. if someone with disabilities watches that site and sees your interview, great! i hope they will try out STO and enjoy it as much as I will. however, when its posted on the main page as a major interview, it just doesnt sit well with me.
So you would rather go on living life with the disabled shuffled into the background where you can't see them? Think back through history about all the accomplishments of disabled persons and how those things affect your daily life. Think too of the men and women that have become disabled in service to their communities or nations, who have directly or indirectly impacted your life, or that of your loved ones. Since the '60s there have been movements all around the world to enrich the lives of the disabled, through accessibility to education, jobs, arts, entertainment, transportation, in general the same opportunities non-disabled persons take for granted everyday. No, this interview announcement is right where it belongs, and I applaud the devs for taking the time to speak with AbleGamers.com and answering, even vaguely, their questions.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleGamers View Post
Hi.

As the person who did the interview I would like to thank those that gave us the kind words. For those that did not, I hope to god you never need the information we provide gamers, but given that 1 in 3 people over 65 are disabled, odds are you will eat your words some day. I went to work, Active Duty Air Force, and the next thing I know I am in a wheelchair. Everyone of you is only ONE BAD DAY away from being disabled. Trust me it was not on my plans the that morning I reported for duty.

It was not the best interview we did, because email interviews are not that great ever. As to why we asked some of the questions we asked is because those that read our site are not necessarily uber fans like many of you are here, so we have to assume that they are not following the game to the level you do, so a question about when it takes place is valid. Maybe some people that were NOT looking at this game are in fact looking at it now, and that is a win.

So, say what you want, but please let's not bash the disabled, if the interview did not WOW you, move on. But to post something that is just nasty only makes you look dumb, and will make for some great irony in the future.

Thank you... I have been waiting for this game for a while, I am a fan.

Mark Barlet
Editor-in-Chief of AbleGamers.com

PS. We did change the favicon, but some other module keep loading the default one. You can see ours at first, then the default. It is not worth my time to fix at the moment...
/salute to a fellow disabled veteran.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_40067 View Post
/salute to a fellow disabled veteran.
/salute returned!
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Something the devs should look at that would be helpful to all players, not just the disabled demographic. Allow us to set up macros like we can playing Vanguard:SOH. With the push of one key we can trigger multiple actions, including swapping of weapons/gear, special attacks and change combat stances. These macros are non-recursive, and thus will not facilitate unattended gameplay (unless you use a 3rd party program, which I hope the devs will be able to detect and combat). This fits into the theme of Star Trek, where automation is common, and a helmsman for example can execute a complex series of evasive maneuvers with the push of a button, or a tricorder can be pre-programmed to execute a sweep for multiple environmental elements when activated.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I am not disabled, but I frequently play my games without sound (audio driver problems or need to be quiet (college lecture)) or with a bad keyboard or without a mouse (touchpad), etc., so any UI options that help the disabled will probably end up helping other people in side ways... give me 5 mouse button options, not 3, please. I was able to play Heretic without a keyboard because of my 5-button mouse which I love... haha. Mouselook/move, scroll wheel for weapon change, press wheel for inventory cycle, left to shoot, right to activate items, left back to run, and right back to open doors.
(Why? I was drinking tea, OK?)

It's nice to know that even if something in life ****s you up, you can still play certain games.

I'm sure this will get STO SOME publicity. I still don't know what audience Cryptic is aiming at, though.

@AbleGamers
I greet you. I've never heard of your website before. I believe you may get a bit more coverage now from MMO people.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Öwow,
Iíve never reported a post on this forum or complained to a mod about someoneís horrid attitude bringing down the whole forum or said someone should be banned for an opinion I didnít like.

Having said that I really hope the modís take a good look at some of the rude flippant reactions to the interview here and clear some of the deadwood out of this forum.

Itís one thing to not like the interview or to have been hoping for more information.
Itís another to be a complete git about it.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inXi View Post
I am not disabled, but I frequently play my games without sound (audio driver problems or need to be quiet (college lecture)) or with a bad keyboard or without a mouse (touchpad), etc., so any UI options that help the disabled will probably end up helping other people in side ways
Also a good point, the more options the better I say.

I just want to point out that if you have spent much time at all playing mmo's, you have probably played with someone with a disability and didnt even know it. I would much rather play with them than with someone who has an f'd up attitude.

Stupidity is the worst kind of handicap.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-27-2009, 12:02 AM
There are some things that go without saying. I wasn't referring to anyone with a physical inability in some forms desire or ability to play this game. I was referring to the fact that the "interview" consisted primarily of them asking one or two questions about the game controls and then throwing out a bunch of statistics about disabled humans and essentially using what was a terribly weak interview as a "hit booster" for their website by getting it linked through STO's main page.

The interview itself told us absolutely nothing because frankly, if you didn't think they'd have re-mappable keybindings then you're about 10+ years behind the times. Name a computer game made in the last 10 years that was both popular and forced all players to use one set of key maps w/o the ability to change them for customization?

Unlike someone who chooses a high risk job (firefighter, military, etc knowing they could be killed or severely injured) my friend was just driving a car when he had his accident and he has never complained. He has never asked for special treatment from anyone. In fact he used his ingenuity to create ways to make him more capable of living a normal life w/o having to ask for assistance. He has partial use of one leg and one good arm and a so-so other arm. He refuses to park in handicap spots, he refuses to speak up on these forums asking "hey what special things are you gonna do to make it easier to play with one hand?"

He lives by the saying "I'm not dis-abled, just able in a different way." He says he just might need a ramp and a wide door sometimes but otherwise he's cool. So you'll forgive me if I have had exposure to a somewhat more self-reliant type of disabled person than you guys have.

Oh, and he can own most people I know as a scout in Team Fortress 2...

The only reason I'm saying any of this is because when life hands you lemons you don't throw them at someone and say "Look at me I have lemons you need to make me lemonade." You do it yourself. Aside from the re-mappable keys what else could they possibly do to this game to make it more disabled accessible. We saw a lot of statistics and such in that interview but not a lot of suggestions from anyone here except the people who are saying they aren't disabled.

Quote:
Have you put any thought into how a person with disabilities would play this game?
Disabilities such as??? Deaf? They'll have text I'm sure. Blind? Well, videogames are probably not the best hobby for you. Colorblind? Good chance that you've already managed to get through life fairly well up to now, doubtful this game will be much of a challenge w/o special care being taken. You have to give examples to have an effective answer.

When we say it's a weak interview it's because it provided no information about anything that common sense and past experience wouldn't already tell you will be in the game.

Quote:
Now that we have had a chance to talk, do you think that there are a few things that you may want to revisit in the game?
What could they possibly change. You offered absolutely no examples of things that couldn't be taken care of through the aforementioned common sense customization available in any high quality title (especially MMOs).

Like I said, from an informative standpoint (strictly from that standpoint) this was a lame interview. No one is making fun of anyone with a disability and no one is saying people with a disability should be ignored or rolled into a corner or whatever. In fact feel free to check my own track record regarding comments about interviews and you'll see that I've said several of the interviews sucked. Don't go throwing a fit because you see yourself differently than you see me and say that my opinion of the quality of the interview had anything to do with some non-existent bias toward people with disabilities. I take a great deep insult to that.

Less than 10% of gamers have any disability whatsoever. How many of those disabilities seriously impact their game playing? How many of the disabilities that DO seriously impact their gameplay could in any way be alleviated by the game developers? THESE are questions you have to ask not only developers but disabled gamers and yourself before you go into an interview with a serious intention of making that developer more aware of special things that would/should need to be done to accommodate gamers with special needs. The fact that you had no actual suggestions or examples is why I said it felt like a weak attempt to plug your site and your cause.

I've never considered being colorblind disabled, if that's the case then I'm disabled. But that doesn't change the fact that the interview was weak sauce for people interested in the game and wasn't done in such a way to actually help people with any disability that might actually affect their enjoyment of any game.

Common-sense-already-in-the-game-things aside, the only thing they could really do would be to support some of the few peripherals for people with limited motion and possibly voice command as well (though that'd be freakin awesome for everyone).
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Powerhelm, you should realize that you come across as very condescending. Not every disabled person is going to know a great deal about video games. The interview could have been specifically targetted for them on Ablegamers site, we don't know. Cryptic put a posting on their site about the interview because they wanted to, Ablegamers didn't force Cryptic to put it up.

However, for those disabled that regularly do play PC games and for the rest of us, the questions were on the 'duh' side. Afterall, what game doesn't have remappable keys? Most games have text if theres voiceovers as well. As for colorblind.... well that's something that I wouldn't really call being disabled over.... and being colorblind doesn't have that great of an affect when playing a game, except in some specific circumstances when playing a game.

Also, like you said Powerhelm, the only other thing Cryptic could take into account is support for some of the few input devices for people with limited motion and possibly voice command as well (though that'd be freakin awesome for everyone).

However, taking those into account could take valuable developement time and probably wouldn't be in Cryptics best interest. Spending lots of development time and money into building more support for those input devices isn't a good investment.