Lt. Commander
# 41
06-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Powerhelm, It is better be seen as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I am not going to respond to your post, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about, and it I would rather you be seen as the insensitive "person" that you come across as than to legitimize your baselss rant with an explanation.

Read my post at the top of page 4, and hope to god you don't have a bad day.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I played many games with umappable, or badly mappable controls, or refusing to see certain parts of my hardware. I played many games where there's either only sound or text available, not both. In DooM 3, the voice recorded stuff had no text option. Not all of these games are popular. But there is more to games than popular games. I guess I play too much?

And I don't see how the attitude of one disabled person to their condition can be projected onto everyone else. If they want their life to remain the way it is, fine. Some want it to improve.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagash303 View Post
Mouse Button 4 = TAB I think you meant if you dont have a mouse button4 you align the function somewhere else.
  • TAB = togglescores
  • TAB = toggleafterburner
  • Mouse#4 = alwaysrun (the one function where you dont hit any key to run, what i used in wow)
  • Mouse#4 = firetorps
something like that?

nice interview, I liked it.
Actually, I was painting a 'worst' case situation, where the game wont recognise your Mouse Buttons properly --- ie, you cannot Assign 'Jump' to Mouse Button 4, because the program doesn't recognize it.

I have had this happen before, but was able to work around it, by:
  • Assigning Mouse Button 4 to TAB (via mouse software).
  • Assigning TAB to Jump (in game).
  • So, Mouse Button 4 = the same as hitting the TAB key, which the game recognizes as JUMP, so I can 'JUMP' with Mouse Button 4.

So where the Game might not recognize your input device directly (mouse buttons, game pad, foot pedals, VoiceCommand, etc), you could work around it by creating a more indirect function.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
The interview itself told us absolutely nothing because frankly, if you didn't think they'd have re-mappable keybindings then you're about 10+ years behind the times. Name a computer game made in the last 10 years that was both popular and forced all players to use one set of key maps w/o the ability to change them for customization?
What the interview DID was let people know that Ablegamers existed. I personaly had no idea they were even out there. Maybe the interview wasnt packed with info, but there may be alot of really useful info on their website that many people may not have known about.

And what did it cost us? Nothing! So 1 out of 100s of posts wasnt directed at the majority of the community. *Boo frickin hoo*. So dont read it, read it and not learn anything, or read it and appriciate it for what it was, but don't condem it on the forums just because it didnt give you a Trek Chubby.

As far as the "disabled people should just suck it up and quit complaining" tone of the rest of your post goes...well I am just embarrassed for you. The first time anyone EVER brings the subject up on the forums, and several people feel the need to spew intolorance all over it.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleGamers View Post
Hi.

It was not the best interview we did, because email interviews are not that great ever. As to why we asked some of the questions we asked is because those that read our site are not necessarily uber fans like many of you are here, so we have to assume that they are not following the game to the level you do, so a question about when it takes place is valid. Maybe some people that were NOT looking at this game are in fact looking at it now, and that is a win.

I am not a disabled gamer, but I was very pleased to see both your site and the interview.

Obviously, I was not expecting the Interview to be directed towards ME, but rather that it was more an introductory Article about the Game, to patrons of AbleGamers (and basically a 'hey' STO is Friendly to these types of gamers as well).

So I think people expecting some 'breaking new info', are misinterpreting the reason for the interview, imo.

Regardless, I thought it was good interview, and again, I am glad to discover such sites exist, and that developers embrace them in their PR tours.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleGamers View Post
Powerhelm, It is better be seen as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I am not going to respond to your post, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about, and it I would rather you be seen as the insensitive "person" that you come across as than to legitimize your baselss rant with an explanation.

Read my post at the top of page 4, and hope to god you don't have a bad day.
There's a saying, "The young and the foolish care nothing for mercy because they have never had need of true mercy".

While mercy is not precisely the right word in this context, I trust you take my meaning.

I was pleased to see the AbleGamers interview, bringing news of the existence of Star Trek Online to an audience which might not have been fully aware of it otherwise.

As far as the interview content went, the focus was completely understandable.

If Maxim magazine interviewed Zn, they'd ask about how sexy the female character models were, and how little you could dress them in; if Vogue magazine interviewed, they'd want to know about the color pallettes available in the character costuming, and so on ...

AbleGamers has a target demographic so, of course, they're going to ask questions relevant to their readership.

Lastly, don't let the social maladjusts here drive you off, sir. They remain an embarrassment to most of the posting community, but to engage them is to encourage them, so you were right to turn away.

Enjoy the forums. You're most welcome here.

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
My tone reflects my disgust at the insinuation that AG made. Because I thought the interview was poorly done as interviews go in general and sounded more self-promoting and preachy than as an attempt to honestly make a difference or give knowledge regarding the game to his readers.

So not only does he insinuate that I'm somehow mocking, berating, or suggesting disabled persons be ignored but then he backhandedly wishes disability upon me or otherwise assures me that I will feel his pain one day with:

Quote:
odds are you will eat your words some day
Quote:
But to post something that is just nasty only makes you look dumb, and will make for some great irony in the future.
So you can hopefully see why I'm less than enamored with the prestigious AG.

My tone came across as condescending yet the tone AG took with Zinc himself wasn't the least bit self-righteous or pompous or condescending?

Quote:
Now that we have had a chance to talk, do you think that there are a few things that you may want to revisit in the game?
I can practically see the pat on the head as he tells Zinc to "Run along and develop a game for me."

Quote:
and hope to god you don't have a bad day
You do realize that the Joker attempted to drive Commissioner Gordon insane while constantly muttering that same line. "One bad day is all it takes to drive a good man mad" to paraphrase him.

Quote:
If they want their life to remain the way it is, fine. Some want it to improve.
How is striving to be self reliant without unnecessarily inconveniencing or disrupting other peoples lives not improving ones life? How is his making various devices to aid him in his daily life and taking these tasks upon himself not a positive thing? When he comes to a road block he can't pass alone he gets assistance.

Quote:
What the interview DID was let people know that Ablegamers existed.
Exactly. He asked nothing that would lead one to believe he was making a real effort to assist in the development of a game that would take into consideration the inabilities some gamers might face. He offered no examples of things that might be considered for enhancements to the game to make it easier. He didn't even mention something as simple as including driver support for voice command or limited motion peripherals! I, the mustache twirling villain of these forums was the one that first mentioned this suggestion! I'm the one who doesn't have a website to promote and I'm the one that is offering up ideas of how to make the game easier and more accessible to persons with disabilities yet I'm the evil person here....

He was getting his site's name out there. This was an ad not an interview. That's exactly what I said in my initial post and you just reinforced it in your quote. I was then subjected to hateful comments and wishes of my banishment and suggestive wishings that I become severely disabled.

Quote:
The first time anyone EVER brings the subject up on the forums, and several people feel the need to spew intolorance all over it.
Actually one of the previous respondents brought this subject up several days prior to this interview. They even linked to their thread. It has also been brought up in other threads as well. The difference was, unlike in this interview, they all offered suggestions and thoughts as to how to make the game better for the disabled.

Quote:
As far as the "disabled people should just suck it up and quit complaining" tone of the rest of your post goes...well I am just embarrassed for you.
Oh, like the guy who mad the stick and pedal control setup with the holes drilled out of a cutting board? That's some inspirational inventiveness. That's what I'm talking about. It's easy to talk the game and tell developers they should design their games this way and that way. Its another thing entirely to get out and do something about it. The guy on AbleGamers who is shown in the slides with his elaborate home-made setup and the person(s) who helped him in making it "sucked it up" and molded what the world gave them into something that worked for them. They didn't sit there writing to developers asking them to make a game controller especially for him. They got industrious. Like humans have been doing since we invented tools.

That's not only "sucking it up" that's an example of humanity at it's finest and should be seen as an inspiration.

Quote:
I was pleased to see the AbleGamers interview, bringing news of the existence of Star Trek Online to an audience which might not have been fully aware of it otherwise.
So you're saying because someone is disabled they some how totally miss all the coverage from the numerous large reputable gaming sites on the internet? You're saying that anyone that is disabled and a gamer only goes to this site? Disabled gamers don't know what IGN is?

Quote:
If Maxim magazine interviewed Zn, they'd ask about how sexy the female character models were, and how little you could dress them in; if Vogue magazine interviewed, they'd want to know about the color pallettes available in the character costuming, and so on ...
I don't know the last time (if ever) you read a MAXIM magazine but they have honest to goodness articles about the quality of the games not just if you can alter a female avatars chest size. Just like their target demographic I'm sure AbleGamers' target demographic isn't solely concerned with "is this accessible to me" but also with "What ships can I fly?" "What are the Borg up to?"

You seem to think that just because this interview was done for a site targeted for people with disabilities that they shouldn't have had some real info about the game itself.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
You seem to think that just because this interview was done for a site targeted for people with disabilities that they shouldn't have had some real info about the game itself.
You do understand that interviews are not based around the STO site, and that we will see many more interviews that continue to repeat and 'introduce' the game, rather than offer 'New' insite into the game?

Interviews have different demographics and different purposes -- and often it is really just to 'introduce' the game to people that have never heard of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Quote:
and often it is really just to 'introduce' the game to people that have never heard of the game.
Again I ask, What makes you think any gamer that gives a flying farkwad about Star Trek or MMOs hasn't already heard of this game?
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
At risk of feeding the troll...

Powerhelm, you need to visit the site and see what it's all about. I'm not sure what percentage of our members would be considered lightly or mildly disabled, but the site is most beneficial to those members that suffer major physical disability and severe limitations on mobility. For example, have you ever heard of crerebral palsy? It can affect your entire range of motion limiting you to using one hand in some cases and not being able to walk. It does not usually affect your mental capabilities. Most MMOs require a fair amount of cognitiave thought, and offer a whole world of social interaction to somebody who may be ignored or avoided because of a physical disability in the real world. This makes MMOs desireable. Doesn't matter what you look like IRL while online, people will socialize with you if you are sociable.

Now what this interview did was not introduce STO to the AG demographic. It was already being discussed on our forums. What DID do, was let a few questions relevant to US be asked and answered. Being able to remap keys, especially to hardware which many of us rely upon that the average player wouldn't need to use, is very important and will very likely be a selling point to the many exisiting Trek fans that also play MMOs.

Seriously though, the devs give out more information for this game than say Stargate Worlds. Go there and see how long it's been since a dev said anything. I'm not sure why every dev interview has to include brand spanking new game info. There's a reason they give the same info each interview. Not everybody goes to every gamer info website. I avoid Massively.com because it's the same regurgitated SOE crap about their trading card games. There are a few others I avoid ebcause I don't care for their formatting. People have their reasons, but if you want to get to the majority of gamers who stay informed online, you have to reach out to them everywhere they are.

Edited for speeling. Disadvantage of having arthritis at a young age.