Lt. Commander
I'm getting extremely bad and intermittent framerate issues in ESD and occasionally on away ground missions.

This is my setup:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (updated to latest drivers)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

This can happen if a room I'm in is full of other players and then the next minute it will be smooth again despite no players leaving the room or it can happen when I'm in a room with no players and again be fine after a while. Obviously reducing my graphics settings improves this but I cant believe I have to do this when my rig vastly exceeds the recommended requirements to run this game. I should be able to run this game on max settings with no issues at all! I have a friend who plays this game on a PC 3 years older than mine and he runs it on full details with no issues at all. How is that even possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
So are you running in 'Full Screen' mode or 'Window Maximized' mode???

('Window Maximized' does not take advantage of the advanced capability of your graphics card...)
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarDan13
I'm getting extremely bad and intermittent framerate issues in ESD and occasionally on away ground missions.

This is my setup:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (updated to latest drivers)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

This can happen if a room I'm in is full of other players and then the next minute it will be smooth again despite no players leaving the room or it can happen when I'm in a room with no players and again be fine after a while. Obviously reducing my graphics settings improves this but I cant believe I have to do this when my rig vastly exceeds the recommended requirements to run this game. I should be able to run this game on max settings with no issues at all! I have a friend who plays this game on a PC 3 years older than mine and he runs it on full details with no issues at all. How is that even possible?

Try going into the "Troubleshooting" section (click on it and the options will open up) - and disable/set to 'off' and /all 'Framerate Stabilizer' and 'Framerate Stabilization' options, apply - shutdown the client completely, and then re-log in and see what happens. On the better vards - those options seem to cause more framerate issues than they fix, but are enabled by default.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
*takes out magic crystal ball*

set shadows to low and report back

//edit:

*waves hand* this is the thread you are searching for:

-> http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=203786
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
yep, its the shadows that's the killer. On high the FPS can drop down to 20 (according to Fraps) whereas on low it stays around 60.

I was remaining defiant about turning down my graphics just to get the game to run but I can put up with low shadows, its no biggie. Seems like the game hasn't been tested on my card.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarDan13
yep, its the shadows that's the killer. On high the FPS can drop down to 20 (according to Fraps) whereas on low it stays around 60.

I was remaining defiant about turning down my graphics just to get the game to run but I can put up with low shadows, its no biggie. Seems like the game hasn't been tested on my card.
This situation is immproved a bit on the Season 4 Tribble build BTW - what was throwing me wa sthe fact you stated your friend was having no issues - as every card (ATI or Nvidia) seems to have some performance issues with shadows ion High.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-06-2011, 01:42 AM
yeah, that's a well known bug.

the Dev's are working on it... there is a small chance that Season 4 will fix this,
they pulled the DirecX 11 support from the test server (again)...
now we have various reports on the forum,
some say the shadow problem is gone thx to DX11,
others did not notice any difference (me included) and to top it off the Dev's now say that DirectX 11 was never active to begin with because of an UI bug *doh*
but as soon as they pulled it some reported that the stuttering is back.... !?
the Devs also say improvements were made to the games gfx in Dx9 mode... so ...well... we got much confusion and wrong info thx to placebo effects on the forum right now.

lets just see what the Season 4 patch will bring.

anyway don't bother playing around with driver settings, we did all of that in the last year and nothing helps, even nvidia has it listed in their driver patchnotes that STO has a stuttering issue.