Lt. Commander
I'm really confused on which BOFFs to take and train. I have BOFF Paralysis since I don't want to spend points until I know who i'm keeping. I'm a Tac officer and Captain level right now.

So I guess the question is, are there certain races that are preferable for each class? For example, I have a Klingon Tac, since I figured they would be decent fighters in ground and space. I also took a Saurian as a Tac. A Bolian Eng and Trill Science. But I don't want to invest points until I know that i have the best races in the right slots.

I chose my starting class poorly when starting, since I will most likely end up in a Cruiser, so I should probably also have at least 3 Eng Boffs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I believe stowiki or academy or one of those websites lists all the BOFF racial traits. But for example, at the moment only Humans of any rarity with leadership and uncommon green Saurians with efficient are the only species that have traits that work in space.

Devs have stated that the code blocking the other rarities of Saurians from having a chance at the efficient trait will be corrected, but it's not retroactive afaik and I don't recall the ETA.

For ground, there are many that can overlap or stack, and may come down to a question of playstyle. One example would be a Very Rare Bajoran with Superior Soldier and Superior Creative, would make an excellent ground Tac officer due to buffs to damage. A Betazoid with Emphatic, Superior Pacifist, and Superior Creative makes an excellent Medic with all the buffs to heals.

If you wanna make a melee boff for example; than Klingons, Saurians, Caitians have traits geared towards that (Honorable, Agression, Reptialian Strength, Pounce for example).

Different combinations are possible, use tribble to experiment and find a playstyle that suits you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I think I have Tac races down. I'm not sure about good races for Science and Eng though. I also didn't know that their traits don't work in space.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
The human trait leadership is slightly bugged as it's listed under ground, but should appear under space, exactly how a uncommon Saurian with efficient is listed directly under the word space when you mouse over them.

As for Engineers and/or Sci, creative is highly recommended as it buffs all skills. My previous post regarding Science is valid, but Aenars also make good healers, trait-wise. I don't have one, but constantly read about different trait combinations.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Im wondering if the Aenar might be better then betazoid healer.

"Your Aenar officer will have the following traits: Blind Sense (Bonus to Perception and immunity to Perception debuffs), Superior Pacifist (Bonus to kit healing powers and reduced personal threat), Superior Cold-Dwelling (Resistance to Cold damage and a bonus to resist roots and movement debuffs) and Project Image (a power that will display a telepathic "double" of the Aenar). "

Superior Pacifist vs Creativity
the betazoid has empathetic but the Project Image might balance things out...

Now the tac...btw bajorans ftw

Feline Instincts (10% chance to dodge half damage from ranged attacks, +75% jump height, +10 perception, +10% exploit damage), Pounce (Close and physical attack with chance for knockback), Superior Aggressive (Bonus damage and threat generation) and Superior Sure Footed (Bonus root and knockback resistance).

This has me seeing spots...dodge? S.A. and S.S.F. thats very nice. I dont have to spend buko bucks on my officers anymore and I get very competent officers.

Now I can save up from efficient officers...
Lt. Commander
# 6 doesn't matter
07-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't worry about investing your points in the wrong officer. Even with moderate gameplay you'll earn enough points to spend configuring two crews twice over,
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I dont matter at all. Just take the ones that you find aesthetically appealing.
Use 3 Engineers each with Turret 1 + 2 and Support Drone and a Sci officer setup as the healer (medical tricorder and varscular regenerator abilities) and youŽll be blasting though the content in no time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Tellarites make an excellent tac against enemies that use holds, with their high resistances.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
If I recall correctly, Betazoids have some racial ground abilities that slightly increase their healing abilities. But for the most part it is an aesthetic choice on the race of your bridge officers.