Lt. Commander
I am 37 I always build my own pc's. I work as a pc field tech. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit when it comes to motherboards and processors I always have to reach out for help on buying a new one. Could someone please suggest to me what I should get that will keep me good for the next 5 years give or take. I built my current system in 2006. I enjoy games like Star Trek Online of course, Dragon Age, WOW, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 which I just installed and is causing my processor serious problems to say the least. I am thinking budget wise maximum of 400 for board and processor.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
hmm next 5 years is a bit of a ghost in the shell, tech might not move much in 5 years but then again tech might get a breakthrough and go through the roof compared to now, best thing you can do is go on youtube and type in custom gaming pc reviews and see whats suits your pocket and usage style.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Depends on what manufacturer you like. With my New PC I just built I went with a AMD Phenom X6 1090T Processor, ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard, 2 ASUS NVidia 550 GTX ti, 16 GB of Ram, and a Intel 120 GB SSD. It also has around 4 TB of storage.

It can play games like Dragon Age, Dragon Age II, STO, Mass Effect 2, BulletStorm, and Crysis 1 and two without much of a problem.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I went with the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, with an Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost), and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 myself.

What you're looking for really depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you're looking for bang for the buck, go AMD. If you want the power and are willing to spend, go Intel.

Within a 400 budget, you're probably looking AMD, or possibly a Core i5? Message me and I can dig around newegg a bit for you if you like. You also will need a more modern video card worked into that budget as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgate View Post
I am 37 I always build my own pc's. I work as a pc field tech. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit when it comes to motherboards and processors I always have to reach out for help on buying a new one. Could someone please suggest to me what I should get that will keep me good for the next 5 years give or take. I built my current system in 2006. I enjoy games like Star Trek Online of course, Dragon Age, WOW, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 which I just installed and is causing my processor serious problems to say the least. I am thinking budget wise maximum of 400 for board and processor.
You have a number of choices for motherboard and CPU's. It really depends on how much performance you want now, as well as how patient you are when waiting for the next best CPU. AMD Bulldozer 32nm CPU's are scheduled for release between August and October. If you wait for the bulldozers to release, the I7's and I5's will most likely come down in price to compete with these chips. The advantage you will have is you should be able to pick up an I7 or I5 for much cheaper then.

Alternatively, you could be even more patient. Intel's 22nm Ivybridge processors are scheduled to release in Q2 of 2012. If you wait until then, you could see AMD really drop prices on their bulldozers to compete with the ivybridge processors. It's difficult to predict anything, though. So, yeah, there you go. My recommendation is that you wait until the Bulldozers are released before buying a new mobo + CPU set.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-06-2011, 12:34 AM
I'd get an i7 2600K, fitting Asrock mainboard that allows for some overclocking (they're by far not as bad as they used to be), get a CPU cooler like the Megahalems or NH-D14 (CPU's stock cooler won't cut it) set the turbo to 4GHz (all cores) and throw in 8GB of cheap G.Skill DDR3 1333 modules. That should last the OP a couple of years. It's pretty much what I did, except I went for a Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 board.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Some information
07-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Hi ,
it is in general dificult to suggest a specific combination fot the different parts but here are some ideas.

for graphics
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...card,2964.html

for cpu
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-cpu,2971.html

for mother boards cant give to you solid info but in general you may have to look onto those

1) USB 3 connectivity ( a sure think for the near future )

2) PCI-e 2.1 ( there will be a new PCI-e 3 some time in the next years )
for this look at leat of 2 of them and if possible x16 or x8 mode on both ( you will need this for SLI - 2 nvidia cards or crossfire - 2 AMD cards )

3) SATA III - for good I/O with hard disk periferals ( the hard disks must have also SATA III)

Look for a good PSU to give ample energy to your components - especialy for houngry CPU's and hungry or multiple graphic cards.

Now for the platforms. in the next period a new AMD platform will arrive ( buldozer staf ) and by the end of the year INTEL will give to us a new generation at 22nm. so be carefull when by what.

Hope i helped you.
Sebastian.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Build my own Computers also. When I first started building them 13 years ago I primarely use AMD(cpu)/nVidia(graphics), but back ib 2005 switch Cpu to Intel Core i7 and still use nVidia for graphics.

Still like the latest Intel/nVidia combo, but Amd new 8-core Bulldozer that should be releasing at the end of July hasa pique my interest if the price is only $320. As for motherboards, I found that Asus to be what I use the most, tries some others but they were epic fails. Below is some links on both AMD and Asus next-gen parts and by the way AMD upcoming motherboards for the Bulldozer will be able to use SLI.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/...essor-320/6098

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...5446&Itemid=47

http://motherboardnews.com/2011/05/0...boards-leaked/

With AMD Bulldozer entering the market soon, it looks like Intel will have some competition along with the new 990/FX motherboards it will be an interesting year for building new computers. Intel or AMD/Crossfire or SLI.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-06-2011, 04:47 AM
If I where building today I would likely build around an i5 2500K with a Z68 motherboard. I am currently finishing up a review of the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and to sneak peek I can tell you it is a solid buy.

The i5 2500K will give you great performance right now out of the box and with a good cooler you can get some really solid overclocks to extend the life.

You can pair this setup with either an AMD or nVidia for graphics and be all set.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-06-2011, 06:17 AM
If you can wait for the next gen intel processor, then wait. They are coming out in the first half of next year, so it's not too long to wait. The price will be high, but it will last you for a while and will be faster (not necessarily in ghz) than the current generation. So I would go with that and either an asus or intel board.