Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I have just found it quite annoying when I look at my ships and then my weapon slots.

For example:

Nova Class

2 FWD Phaser banks on the dorsal portion of the hull
2 FWD Phaser banks on the ventral portion of the hull
2 FWD Torpedo Tubes
2 AFT Torpedo Tubes

But we only get:

2 FWD Weapon Slots
1 AFT Weapon Slot

The Centaur:

2 FWD Phaser banks on the dorsal portion of the hull
2 FWD Torpedo Tubes
2 AFT Torpedo Tubes

Yet for the Nova, we can't have 2 SEPERATE BEAM ARRAYS OR 1 DUAL BEAM ARRAY, plus we can't have 2 DIFFERENT TORPEDOS and still have beam arrays.

The idea of the SCE starship modules is to allow captains to customize their ships. However when you change form, you also change function.

Warship Voyager
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Wa...ng_Witness.jpg

Had:

30 Torpedo Tubes
25 Phaser Banks
Assult Probes
Fighter Shuttles

Oppossed to for the Intrepid class:

2 FWD, DOR Phaser Arrays
2 FWD, VEN Phaser Arrays
1 DOR Phaser Array behind the Bridge
2 AFT Phaser Arrays
1 VEN Phaser Array extending across the Engineering Hull
2 VEN Phaser Arrays under Nacelle pylons
2 VEN Phaser Arrays on AFT portion of the saucer near the deflector
(Those are the beam ARRAYS)
2 AFT Phaser EMMITERS, 1 in each torpedo tube (VOY: Dragon's Teeth, Prophecy)
1 AFT Phaser Emmiter located behind the 2nd tractor emmiter (VOY: Think Tank)
1 VEN Phaser Emitter embeded on the ventral surface of the starboard nacelle (VOY: Unimatrix Zero)
1 VEN Phaser Emitter embeded on the ventral surface of the port nacelle (implied due to the fact there is one on the starboard side
2 FWD Torpedo Tubes
2 AFT Torpedo Tubes

Total: 17 Phasers & 4 Torpedo Tubes

Yet we only get:
3 FWD Weapon Slots
3 AFT Weapon Slots

This also brings up the question of why we have to wait to fire another phaser round when we can just switch from emmitter to emmitter rather than waiting for the entire FWD phaser system to cooldown. The same goes for torpedoes. We RARELY, PRACTICALLY NEVER, see a ship fire just ONE torpedo. It is a volley that we see go out to do the most damage (rare exception Star Trek Generations). Also when we see the Defiant fire torpedos, we never saw it fire ONE lame torpedo, TWO was the MINIMUM!!!

We deserve more realism in this respect.
Also, we should be able to go to the Observation Lounge when visiting the bridge.

ALSO we shouldn't have to use a BOFF to use the tractor beam
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the world of online games and game balance.

This has been discussed to death, and it just needs to be accepted that ships in Star Trek Online (and just about any other Star Trek game that has ever existed) will never have the same armaments and capabilities as seen in the shows for various reasons such as game balance, game resource availability (the kind of things that cause graphical or network lag), and inconsistencies within the shows/movies themselves.

Would I like to see things a bit more like the shows? Of course I would, and more than likely so would everyone else who plays this game. But (for now at least) it's not going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-03-2011, 05:12 AM
also these weapons were never all fired at once, they put ALL the weapons energy through 1 beam at a time in every instence. all the different arrays are there so an enemy ship is never out of its firing arc
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I think the beam arrays we slot in our ships paper doll reflect it's firepower rather than the ammount of physiclal weaponry, but the way they're represented graphicly on your ship in 3D changes depending on where you're firing with some ships. The Excelsior certainly fires from more points than I have weapons slots, and I was pleasantly suprised to notice they'd actually put the beam array pointson the saucer where the phaser banks really are "in real life".

It's a similar thing with DHCs, I've got three on my BoP, but they all fire from the "two" DHCs on the wingtips, although I'd get some DCs if they weren't useless so I could use the inboard ones too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I really wonder why people bring up Warship Voyager all the time. That ship never existed in any timeline, not even a Q'ed up timeline.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
also these weapons were never all fired at once, they put ALL the weapons energy through 1 beam at a time in every instence. all the different arrays are there so an enemy ship is never out of its firing arc
I'm sorry... could you repeat that?

http://m1.ikiwq.com/img/xl/885K5z406E8beMbRS3tOqa.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
I'm sorry... could you repeat that?

http://m1.ikiwq.com/img/xl/885K5z406E8beMbRS3tOqa.jpg
i guess i should have said unless they shoot at fighters? thatís why phaser arrays are great, you can use them for point defense one minute, and then fire off full power shots at larger targets. thereís several instances where phaser arrays were used to fire multiple shots at small targets, high power shots would be wasted on them. but when they are used to deal damage to any other capital ship they fire single full power shots ever time. it certainly isnít that way in game unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i guess i should have said unless they shoot at fighters? thatís why phaser arrays are great, you can use them for point defense one minute, and then fire off full power shots at larger targets. thereís several instances where phaser arrays were used to fire multiple shots at small targets, high power shots would be wasted on them. but when they are used to deal damage to any other capital ship they fire single full power shots ever time. it certainly isnít that way in game unfortunately.
I just wish they showed the charge on the Galaxy's primary array in game like they did in the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
If the devs actually got to the point of mounting the ship weapons to the number of mount points listed on ship's schematics, they would likely limit the arcs of fire, as well. For instance, the Constitiion refit had 12 phaser banks, 2 placed each of fore, port and starboard, on the upper and lower surface of the saucer. However, each of those dual phaser banks would only have a 180 degree arc of fire (likely less for the port and starboard side, to avoid hitting the engines and secondary hull) and only 6 of them could be fired either directly above or directly below the ship, or 8 directly to the front. (The second phaser to port or starboard could not be fired fore, as it would have to shoot through its neighbor)

(See this page for a discussion of how difficult firing arcs can get even with a simple hexagonal map)

Likewise, most of the multiple torpedo tubes facing in the same direction on starships are treated as the same "weapon". The Constitution refit, for example, famously had that torpedo cowling on the neck, with two tubes mounted in it. But that was basically a single photon torpedo assembly, with each tube able to fire two torpedoes, making them the equivalent of four (earlier) tubes.

So the way I look at it, the 2 phaser banks dorsal and 2 banks ventral on the Nova ARE the single Phaser Beam Array which is mounted in the first FWD weapon slot (covering a 250 degree arc) and the 2 torpedo tubes fore and 2 tubes aft ARE a Photon Torpedo Launcher in the second FWD slot and another in the REAR slot. If you want to note each of the phasers separately, you'd have to mark their portion of the 250 degree arc (dividing up the damage between the 4 emitters accordingly) and cut the reload rate of each of the 4 torpedo launchers in half.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachray263 View Post
ALSO we shouldn't have to use a BOFF to use the tractor beam
Also, you don't have to have a BOff to use the tractor beam, you have to have a BOff to use the tractor beam IN COMBAT.

You use a tractor beam in a Type 8 shuttle (which does not have the Tractor Beam ability) in the mission The Vault.