Lt. Commander
It was the Infected. Had nothing better to do, so i decided to pick it up and stay outside the system, seeing if someone would take in a STF noob. First one that appeared was broadcasting a ctrl+c/ctrl+v message on screen and claimed to have ran infected more than 320 times (and later, he claimed he had run it 360 times). He said i had to install Mumble.

Yeah.. i almost gave up on doing this.. Was starting to believe that i would have to endure a teenager (boy or girl, they all have the same pitch) screaming over my headset like rusty nails on a chalkboard. It might be my first STF, but it doesn't take a "pro" to realize that you don't need to worry about too much coordination when dealing with mobs that are Level -6 to you and your team..

But then another player convoed me and asked if i knew of anyone who wanted to do the STF from the start. We talked, and he told me that he had lead some 5 or 6 random teams, most of them through to the end. In talking i saw that said gentleman was capable of stringing words together, and looked like someone who just liked to have some fun and didn't cared about dying. Because really.. who the hell cares about dying in STO?

At any rate, more people appeared, we teamed up and did the thing. The guy who lead the team just gave a few pointers at the beginning and end of each important part, and we all had some fun. Best part of all, no need to hear someone crying and screaming on your ear.

So there's the experience of a first time noob doing an STF for the first time. This one goes to those who time and again create threads asking for soloable STF's. There's no point in doing that. And there's no magic word to explain it either.. The fun lies in doing it groupal.

In any case.. You see a guy called Shadow offer you to lead a group, just follow his lead. Guy knows his biz.

Worse part is.. i don't know which possibility is worse.. that the first guy was lying about having completed Infected 360 times, or that he was telling the truth.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-06-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm very glad that you had fun and enjoyed it.

Shadow@mindmage
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
I'm very glad that you had fun and enjoyed it.

Shadow@mindmage
/Respect for taking the time to take 1st timers through it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Serious respect. Its hard enough to form teams outside a fleet (or inside them sometimes) to Sit and Pug groups and go through and give them the pointers they need to become skilled STFers takes a good deal of patience.

Or insanity.

But we'll stick with patience.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm glad that there are players like you, Mindmage. Keep up the good work, brother!

It's great to see that there are players out there willing to take the time to help people through the STFs. My buddies and I have also helped people complete these missions. It is rewarding in and of itself.

Kudos, Mindmage!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm glad you had fun. Really, the most important thing to do in an STF is to follow the leader, and stick to the planned strategy. Also, playing defensively with ground combat is the best choice. A lot of pickups seem to have an issue with that, which can turn fun & challenging team missions into a hairpulling frustrating experience. They are certainly doable without voicecomms, and I think that all boils down to personal preference.

Enjoy your engines, and good luck on obtaining the rest of the Borg set.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
He was not lying if it is who I think it is. Mass props to***edited*** He is still at it. Man i did what he did for maybe 1 or 2 months and that robot is still at it. Talk about patience.

scratch that I just read what you wrote properly. It wasnt who i thought it was.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah i'm not going to put his name here hehe, there is nothing wrong with being over-enthusiastic about doing something on a MMO. Just not the kind of person i'm looking to play with.

Wasn't going to post Mindmage's handle either because i didn't had his OK to do so. But since he posted himself, holla holla playa!

At any rate, i really enjoyed doing these just for the sake of doing them. Any fleets out there that run them frequently that could offer a similar experience? I.E more casual etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
At any rate, i really enjoyed doing these just for the sake of doing them. Any fleets out there that run them frequently that could offer a similar experience? I.E more casual etc.
Absolutely. Some STF buddies and I in Federation Fleet help out players like this quite often. I just took 3 new KDF players through Infected on the 4th, and 2 new to STF FED players through Cure lastnight. You're welcome to come along or join if you need help with any of them.

I know there are a number of other people here who go out of their way to help people with these missions as well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm, interesting. I might sign up for that fleet.

All other fleets i checked so far had rules that i wasn't confortable with. Too many complications.

On games like EVE Online all these complications are a must.. since losing something on EVE means losing it for good. But STO is a laid back game, so players and groups should be laid back as well.

Just one question though. Also, i won't wear fleet uniform! xD First thing i did as soon as i installed the assimilated borg engines was turn off the effects lol.. there's no beating canon art imho.