Lt. Commander
Prefacing this with "I know they'd have to get the rights/I know they're working on other stuff/I know it's probably a pipe dream" etc... This is merely me thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if..." >.>

So this was just running through my head today after re-reading the July Ask-Cryptic.

I noticed DStahl kind of tossed off a line about maybe building our own ships - which is kind of heavenly for me. That said I suspect that won't actually happen here (CBS will probably nix it.)

This leads me to Battletech, which I feel is a game that would mesh with Cryptic's design MO pretty much perfectly. Allow me to explain my reasoning:

Cryptic loves customization - Battletech has a long, long history of custom mech designs, be they weapon swaps on existing machines, or new ones built ground-up by fans. A Battletech game would have little if any argument about how much customization is 'too much'. Especially with so many factions, mercenary units and full fledged nations to choose from. (That's before we even consider anything beyond the Inner Sphere!)

The game also meshes beautifully with the Foundry. Why? Because building custom scenarios is another time-honored fan tradition. Entire multi-player campaigns could be constructed; and if the game was built for it from the ground up, you could theoretically accommodate fairly large groups of people while doing this; and with some effort even allow for PVP battles to be constructed in this fashion.*

It also meshes with an MMO environment fairly well - the universe comes equipped with a pre-existing concept for guilds** and parties.

There's even a lot of room for expansion, with non-mech tanks and aircraft - even space with dropsips aerospace fighters and warships. (If you really wanted to go there you cold even include infantry with an infantry commander being essentially a pet class type character.)

I grant this is pretty well a pipe dream... but it really makes me wish. <. .>;;

*The main issue would be Queues... I'd imagine you'd want one singular PVP queue, with the game sorting groups of players off to random fields after enough have joined.

**If you really wanted, you could even give guilds a title based on their number of players. (EX: Lance, Company, Batallion, Regiment - it goes higher if you need)
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Interesting concept.

I'd prefer a Gundam MMO Myself, but your concept does look like it would fit with Cryptic's MO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
*broken spades Defiant transforms into a battle mech* RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWR!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Spade
*broken spades Defiant transforms into a battle mech* RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWR!!!
*snerk* >_< Defiant with legs?

@KiraYamamoto - That would be great too hehe; though I have a lot more doubts about acquiring the rights there. Battletech rights I think would be fairly easy on the basis that the franchise isn't nearly as popular as it used to be. Gundam on the other hand is (at least last I checked) was still very popular and I'd imagine rather expensive.

Really, anything 'mech based would be awesome >.>; Sometimes you just want to get stompy and shoot things with missiles.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I'd love it if there were a Battletech based MMO, there have been rumours for years.

But not by cryptic, all the decent stuff would be locked away in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-08-2011, 02:17 AM
i want a Stargate and a Babylon 5 MMO from Cryptic

Battletech? sure i'll take that too.

but then i want a Cryptic wide monthly sub for all their games instead of $15 each.
And no i will not spend $75 a month in the C-Store for 3 F2P games either...

but ...i may get 3 Lifetime accounts ;P
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-08-2011, 05:58 AM
I want a Battletech MMO too, but NOT by Cryptic. They'd probably set it in the Dark Age using Japanese-influenced Battlemechs flying around with laser swords and super beam cannons JUST to attract a wider audience. Because we all know that's what the kids'll enjoy.

I was really looking forward to Mechwarrior 5/Reboot, but I think that's been dropped in development hell...
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
Interesting concept.

I'd prefer a Gundam MMO Myself, but your concept does look like it would fit with Cryptic's MO.
yes i love gundam too but i don't think bandai would let cryptic have at it.......not until perfect world gets a hold of cryptic anyway maybe
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't mind a mech based game.

I prefer Battletech....I'd love to get one of my lances done proper...

Dervish
2 Mad Cat Alphas
Atlas
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
I wouldn't mind a mech based game.

I prefer Battletech....I'd love to get one of my lances done proper...

Dervish
2 Mad Cat Alphas
Atlas
A lance consists of four units, I guess?

Well, if I were to put together something like that, I'd want one Close-Combat Unit, one Sniper Unit, one High-Mobility Unit, and one Heavy Artillery/Special Weapons Unit.