Lt. Commander
# 11
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
A lance consists of four units, I guess?

Well, if I were to put together something like that, I'd want one Close-Combat Unit, one Sniper Unit, one High-Mobility Unit, and one Heavy Artillery/Special Weapons Unit.
Correct.

Lance (Inner Sphere) 4 mechs.
Star (Clan) 5 mechs.

More or less what I had in my setups.

The Dervish is a medium mech...good speed...good number of weapons availability. Mad Cats are good missile setups....(I managed headshot kills on both of them to claim them as salvage in one of our early campaigns) and the Atlas is a 100 ton beast that usually had some heavy artillery.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Correct.

Lance (Inner Sphere) 4 mechs.
Star (Clan) 5 mechs.

More or less what I had in my setups.

The Dervish is a medium mech...good speed...good number of weapons availability. Mad Cats are good missile setups....(I managed headshot kills on both of them to claim them as salvage in one of our early campaigns) and the Atlas is a 100 ton beast that usually had some heavy artillery.
Interesting.

Having never played Battletech before, I wish to know--can Mechs use swords?

Because that's one of the things I like about Gundam--the fact that if you need to get into CQC, most Mobile Suits have either an axe or a sword of some kind. One of my favorite units, GN-001 Gundam Exia, is specialized for CQC with SEVEN DIFFERENT SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, Gundam--home of some of the most epic Real-Type Robots in Existence.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
There are a few rare mechs with melee weapons,
Like this guy http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hatchetman

But they are more like heavy iron clubs rather then fancy energy weapons. Mechs just arn't suited to close combat beyond simply bashing away like drunk boxers. A mech with a sword is about as effective as a tank with a sword.

A gundam is like a ninja hopped up on caffeine and uppers. Absurdly fast, agile, and responsive. A mech is more like an armored knight on downers. Some can hit some impressive run speeds and some can even jump. But agility just isn't even in the same league.

But they don't need it, mech combat is less a dance then it is about finding your range sweet spot, where you can alpha strike with the most firepower, in the hope that you can slag off more of the enemies armor with energy weapons and high impact projectiles, before he can slag off your armor. Maneuvers consist mainly of controlling your facing, keeping damage away from the enemy. Maintaining movement to present a harder target, with the down side of also reducing your own aim. Or to simply keep out of the enemies range sweet spot, while hopefully maintaining your own.

Mech combat is more like a chess game then mixed martial arts.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Pretty much.

Mech combat in the Mechwarrior/Battletech world is strategic combat. Seems like what real world combat is doing now...Hardly any melee...All shooting people from a good distance away...lobbing high explosives at people...

In the old Virtual World Entertainment Battle-Tech Centers were great fun. Granted...it was pretty low tech compared to what could be done today...but it was a BLAST. (seriously..no pun intended)

You piloted a mech with up 7 other people...Had to deal with torso rotation, firing range, heat management...it was great fun.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
I want a Battletech MMO too, but NOT by Cryptic. They'd probably set it in the Dark Age using Japanese-influenced Battlemechs flying around with laser swords and super beam cannons JUST to attract a wider audience. Because we all know that's what the kids'll enjoy.

I was really looking forward to Mechwarrior 5/Reboot, but I think that's been dropped in development hell...
There has been some recent news on Mechwarrior 5/Reboot/3015, they might finally have a publisher for it. But it might come out for the Console first, the publisher is MS. For more about it you will have to browse MekTek Forum board.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
I've been a BattleTech junkie since the game came out. I'd give a mint for an MMO for this.

*warms up the 1J BattleMaster again*
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Pretty much.

Mech combat in the Mechwarrior/Battletech world is strategic combat. Seems like what real world combat is doing now...Hardly any melee...All shooting people from a good distance away...lobbing high explosives at people...

In the old Virtual World Entertainment Battle-Tech Centers were great fun. Granted...it was pretty low tech compared to what could be done today...but it was a BLAST. (seriously..no pun intended)

You piloted a mech with up 7 other people...Had to deal with torso rotation, firing range, heat management...it was great fun.
Interesting.

Another question out of curiosity, are there any mechs where the only weapon is an absurdly long-ranged rifle of some kind? No other weapons, just that rifle?

Or, in simpler terms, has there ever been a mech designed solely for the purpose of Sniping?
Lt. Commander
# 18 No
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I think beside their mystery project they only need STO to work with for many years to come.

And no Stargate for Cryptic please. Many still have lost hopes for Stargate worlds to come back which was in closed beta when things gone bad for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpoDwrVwQc

Maybe some day they will go on and be spared the fate of Perpetualīs Star trek online
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
I'd love it if there were a Battletech based MMO, there have been rumours for years.

But not by cryptic, all the decent stuff would be locked away in the C-Store.
While a reasonable concern (believe me I've vented a lot about it myself) - I'm thinking that theoretically this kind of game could/should run on a F2P model from the start* - and in which case the C-store would be far less obnoxious.

Part of the reason I'm thinking F2P is that while I'm envisioning a sizable single player campaign to go through... I really think the Foundry and PVP would be the biggest draws for a game like this. Basically I see a game like this as heavily fan driven and to make that work, you need a looooot of people since the ratio of creators to players tends to be fairly low.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
Interesting.

Having never played Battletech before, I wish to know--can Mechs use swords?

Because that's one of the things I like about Gundam--the fact that if you need to get into CQC, most Mobile Suits have either an axe or a sword of some kind. One of my favorite units, GN-001 Gundam Exia, is specialized for CQC with SEVEN DIFFERENT SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, Gundam--home of some of the most epic Real-Type Robots in Existence.
A good way to think of Battletech mechs as opposed to Gundam would be like this:

Gundam is "very large infantryman with huge weapons" - that is the robot moves more or less like a heavily armored person with a jetpack.

Battletech is more like "Walking tank" - where the machine is vaguely humanoid in shape (and I do mean *vaguely* at times), but is often a bit heavy and plodding. Faster mechs tend to have bird leg set ups and walk with that kind of gate.

That said... I've always loved the Hachetman >.>

====

As for the Sniper mech... most mechs do have secondary weapons of some sort; but the beautiful thing about the game is: Even if such a thing doesn't exist, you can make it yourself! <^_^>

Off the top of my head*, the Shadow Cat does a reasonable job of fitting that bill. It does have secondary weapons... but they're light. Its main weapon is a full size Gauss Rifle, which is pretty punchy and has a gloriously large range.

Realistically though you could look at the various long range weapons and find something big enough and mean enough, strip out a 'mechs old weaponry/ammo, and replace it with the new, very large gun. The key thing would be matching the size of the weapon to the size of it's platform so that you have a combination of speed, armor and firepower that you're comfortable with.

The one risk with doing that is that it's possible to lose limbs in Battletech - so your weapon could be blasted off depending on luck. Of course given your aim here, that's less-likely than for something intended to get up in an opponent's face.

*And to be fair it's been awhile since I actually played tabletop, so I can't recall half the machines I used to be able to.