Lt. Commander
The clocks are counting down toward the final flight of the space program that put many star trek fans to work and inspired even more, the Space Shuttle. Good coverage at spaceflightnow.com. Lengthy story about it all here: http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts135/110706preview/

Godspeed to those we have lost in the name of space exploration, and to those that have otherwise given so much to making this program possible.

- M. Crandall
Advanced projects design engineer at Kennedy Space Center
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Sadness <_ _> Here's to hoping this ending can lead to greater beginnings.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 06:36 AM
I know a documentary about this is going to be on the Science Channel tomorrow at 10pm (EST) called The Last Space Shuttle: Our Journey, or something along those lines.

I just hope NASA gets revived...thanks to Obama for practically killing it

Here's to hoping we get a new president who understands how important the benefits are to NASA and its programs...
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Practically killing it? You know the shuttle program was slated for its end many years ago. Even Bush and Clinton didn't get the chance to kill it. Those things were supposed to be retired fifteen years ago. Heck, the original engines weren't meant to last more than twenty five missions, and they never got replaced.

They were never what they were meant to be. They've been the consistently most expensive and least safe way to get anything to orbit since their creation. After the Soviets stole the design they figured out pretty quick that it was nothing but another economic boondoggle, just launching one cost as much as individually launching every component of Mir and Salute combined, and Buran still managed to be cheaper to run than ours.

And Constellation was even worse. The program had already gone into a 55% budget overrun without even producing a final design. The Delta Heavy already existed for the same purpose, and Bush cancelled four programs that were cheaper, more effective, and in one case, the CST-100, already at the final design stage.

The estimated combined cost from start to first launch of all four programs was less than one half of Constellation's, even ignoring the massive budget overruns and evidence of massive skimming by the corporations involved. And those programs came with a space station and an orbital vehicle assembly facility. Constellation called for the ISS to be upgraded with facilities that weren't part of the program's own budget or any ISS expansion plans.

When Obama finally stopped the bleeding from the Constellation mess (which NASA never wanted to begin with), three of those four programs were restored, and two of those three were already in more advanced stages than Constellation. We've now got a final design heavy lifter (again, since we already had it before Bush scrapped it), fourteen years ahead of the Constellation program's timetable. Seriously. Simply killing Constellation moved the timetable forward fourteen years.

Or to be more specific, just creating Constellation pushed it back twenty - we may be over a decade ahead of where Constellation was, but really we're just where we already were in 2004 when Bush handed a contract to his old business buddy and gave the boot to every aerospace giant in the country.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not ok with other nations getting control of space, I'd rather waste money in space programs that bring many benefits and secure our hold. Well then, here's to privitized and military space programs...at least the military ones make useful orbital bombers...
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Wonder if Cryptic will do a special event to send off the shuttle program? I mean it would make sense to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
Wonder if Cryptic will do a special event to send off the shuttle program? I mean it would make sense to do so.
With all their attention to Season 4, I doubt they would be able to
Lt. Commander
# 8 Hey!
07-07-2011, 07:36 AM
What about the option to put a space shuttle model (Like in trek movies) in yer ready room? like a ship model?
They could do that...it'd be cool.......how hard could that be?

Even the Enterprise had a replica of the shuttle in its ready room........just sayin....
Lt. Commander
# 9 truth be told
07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not ok with other nations getting control of space, I'd rather waste money in space programs that bring many benefits and secure our hold. Well then, here's to privitized and military space programs...at least the military ones make useful orbital bombers...
Thats a statement i can not agree with. The USA is not the sole owner of space and since there is so much of it such talk would be considered hmmm just arogant even if you dont wish to come off as such.

The space race is over. we won yeah now its time for coorporates free market to lend a hand. The shuttles need to retire because they are not only old and faling apart but require to much mechanical upkeep that is a huge drain. One would rather build a new ship then repair those 20 year old ships. The airforce still have their space program so we are not out of space just yet. other projects for space ships are on hold and well the ships are built but they are just sitting in hangers. look up x planes and you will see all the prototypes that have flown already.

we have come to a point in our life where there needs to be a purpose to go into space. I see many but there are polotics and lobbyist who are killing programs just so that the good old days stay around longer then expected (GREED and PROFIT). I for one cant wait for many of these old geezers who hold back out technology for profit hit the dirt floor. Then the young generation can take its place and put humanity back on a growing and technological leap. At this stage we can get so much done if you take the profit margin out of the equation.

Thats the gosh honest truth really
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
If that's what you're worried about, Constellation was the thing that was going to do that. The program wasn't even timetabled to give a final design for another fourteen years, but we already had the designs for an upgraded Delta IV that could have delivered 121 tons to the moon, compared to Constellation's 78, and it would have seen its first test launch two years ago if it wasn't cancelled in favor of Constellation. It could have been human-rated by now.

As it is, the engines are going to see their first test firings in the next few months, compared to 2027 for the Ares V.