Lt. Commander
# 91
07-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleaic_Kerensky
The whole point of the mines is for you to bring the enemy to you. I setup the turrets, as I setup the mines, then pull, and keep em pulling to ensure they are approaching the mines.

By the time the mobs are at the mines and bomb, the away team and turrets are firing away, and I have my eng toon back with the away team, either still sniping quick shots, or waiting with the arcwave.
That's actually working for you? I've noticed since the update that I cannot seem to get anything to run through the mines at all. I'll set up the mines in a doorway with the team back a bit, then run through the door and pull. This worked in the past. But since the S4 release, things will not come through the doorway. They get close, but then they just sit there and wait for me to come back around the corner rather than coming through the door and mines to me. I have not once successfully pulled mobs through mines since S4, the only way I've gotten them to work is to literally drop them at their feet and knock the npcs into them.
Lt. Commander
# 92
07-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Well with the fracus that is GC 2.0 now, I only really worry about placing them, generally perpendicular with the doorway, with a bomb with them, and just pull. Some of the more melee oriented mobs seem to do it, the ranged ones just stay put, and shortly get murdered anyway.

I quite blunty don't pay attention to mines after the pull, as I'm joyriding my Arcwave rifle on spamalicious mode, by then anyway.

I have been considering going back one of the Bunker kits, but not wanting to lose the spike kenetic damage potential. If the ranged mobs are 'supposed' to run through them mindlessly, the mines might be bugged there too. If the mines are there, and the computer is 'mindful', might be just the way it all works. If the mines aren't going off even if passed through by melee mobs, then we got a bigger bug of them than wanted. Can't fully confirm any of this, just going off what my own game play experience has been.
Lt. Commander
# 93
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I will say that in PvP on Otha, mines have generally been pretty good, but there have been a few times when players go directly over them and don't blow up. One instance a player Kirk-kicked me, so it actually looked kind of cool, like they'd jumped over them, but I'd seen a Kirk-kick activate them before. More testing is probably needed.
Lt. Commander
# 94
07-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrider View Post
Frankly, I probably will write the 2.1 playbook, because this one will not help people succeed. The builds are outdated and the strategies the same.

Will likely end up as a rehash of my earlier posts, though. Balance is the name of the game, as I've said.
Frankly, given the tone of some of your previous posts (which sounds eerily like Nelson from the Simpsons), I'm not going to hold my breath. You seem pretty dismissive of people who have what is seemingly the polar opposite playstyle as yours. That's okay. There are entire TV networks full of people who make a lot of money doing the same thing. The problem lies when you put forth your playstyle as the only "right" one. For example, jpb explains his issues and you immediately jump in and dismiss his concerns with some meaningless "I'm not optimized" spiel. (That wasn't the point of contention, y'see. Read it again.)

Many people who play on Normal do so for a reason. The fact that that option has been largely removed for them, is an issue that speaks to that old dirty word in MMOs nowadays: accessibility. For the record, I don't have a single problem with 2.0 but I can see how it can be a shock to the system for someone who doesn't have extensive experience with fast-twitch (or even 'faster than slow"- twitch) gameplay models. There are many people playing this MMO solely due to the IP, who haven't played MMOs before. Telling them to 'adapt or die' is likely to hit someone in the pocketbook (hint: it won't be you).

The system needs to be tweaked. Dismissing that in offhand fashion doesn't fix the problem and it doesn't address the issues at hand. As I've said in another thread, Normal should be the closest thing to faceroll difficulty that exists in this game. It's your baseline. The point that the widest swath of players are comfortable with and capable of handling. THEN you can ramp things up for Advanced and Elite. The fact that you and a handful of others find it "too easy" is a good start. Now get it to the point where people like jpb are challenged but not regularly obliterated (which probably means even easier, by current standards), and you'll be close to the sweet spot.

Again, "Post your build!" isn't addressing the problem that people are expressing. Read the posts again. Changing a build isn't going to change the PACE of combat, you see. You'll find that if you gloss over words and phrases like "I'm old and slow" and "slow and deliberate", you miss that.

Oh and kudos to AA for updating this. I may not agree with everything contained here but actually making the effort to do the update while presenting views in a humorous (if biting) fashion is worthy of acclaim, in my view.
Lt. Commander
# 95
07-16-2011, 06:10 PM
You seem to be the one glossing over things.

People in this thread haven't been complaining about the pace, they've been complaining that their builds are not doing as well as they used to. Read the most recent post I responded to, for example. He claims that one requires a perfect build to succeed right now, and I'm telling him that is not the case. Hence I asked him to post his build, so I could see if he is using redundant skills like the builds in the OP or if there is a different problem he's experiencing.

It didn't sound much like pacing was the problem there, though. Unless he neglected to mention something.

Also, the OP left the game after making this post. Or so he claims, at least. Not surprising, seeing as the entire 'guide' is one giant complaint.

Pre-post edit: I went throguh all of my replies and the posts they responded to, and there was not one mention of pacing being a problem. In fact, the majority of posters seem to be enjoying the new pacing. Where are you getting this idea from? I certainly haven't seen it in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 96
07-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Wait one tic... AA left the game? I must be missing something here. Sorry for sudden off topic tangent.

Personally the pacing is just an element to adjust to now. If one needs to work to make said adjustment, boff skill points willing, I'd still aim for the two sci healer, one engi Shield boff combo I use. And still do currently. It may not be optimal towards skill point allocation, but so far I've had no problems mowing through said previous exploration content, and as such, would be a good anchor for the starter into 2.0, and make personal adjustments from there.

Course I'm just flat out having too much with my engi main toon at the moment to test my tac and sci toon builds, so tac and sci vectors of thought are there own at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 97
07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
AA is a little Dramatic, which is one of the thing I like about him, I think given time he will cool off. If not then this will serve as a guide for the next edition of the Ground Play book.