Lt. Commander
# 51
07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleaic_Kerensky
Sticky this now.
The powers that be seem to have listened to you, although I believe they're far more receptive to Community Tickets. Thanks WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
So the virtual Vulcan neck pinch worked. That or the vid of my Orion boff doing the fan dance did it too. (Sorry, the vid is classified. Maybe Section 31 has a copy. Good luck there. :p )
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-08-2011, 11:16 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-09-2011, 03:01 AM
I really love the new ground combat, and had absolutely no love for Ground Combat 1.0.. but you do make a lot of fair points about how the game has changed: most importantly about how overpowered the NPCs are. Hopefully Cryptic will see how poorly The Ground Playbook has evaluated their game and will make adjustments appropriately. Instead of being pidgeonholed into 4 Scis and Sniper Rifles or 3 Engineers with Turrets, we're Pidgeonholed into 2 Engineers and 2 Scis to stay alive!
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Ground NPCs overpowered? Is this a joke?

I haven't changed a single thing about my kit or BOs, and I have yet to die once on Elite. Even switched to using shooter mode for the extra challenge. Especially against the Borg.

1) Melee is excellent against the Borg. No need to remodulate and deals substantial damage through shields. My melee Tac BO gets more kills than I do, running Lunge 3, Lunge 1, Sweeping Strikes 1 and Target Optics 1. Note, Sweeping Strikes must be used manually.

2) Equipment Technician is the most effective Engineering kit. Shield Recharge, Fuse Armor and Weapons Malfunction are easily the strongest kit powers when specced into.

You're specced into your kit skills, right?

3) Shotguns are your friend, though I do just fine with MK X widebeams on my BOs and a stun and split beam on myself.

4) One Science with tricorder and regenerator is all you need in the way of healing. Two Engis with Shield Recharge help, though.

Any setup is likely to be successful on Advanced or Normal, though. Honestly, grounds is pretty easy now. Its in line with Space.
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrider View Post
No .
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrider View Post

I haven't changed a single thing about my kit or BOs, and I have yet to die once on Elite. Even switched to using shooter mode for the extra challenge. Especially against the Borg.

1) Melee is excellent against the Borg. No need to remodulate and deals substantial damage through shields. My melee Tac BO gets more kills than I do, running Lunge 3, Lunge 1, Sweeping Strikes 1 and Target Optics 1. Note, Sweeping Strikes must be used manually.

2) Equipment Technician is the most effective Engineering kit. Shield Recharge, Fuse Armor and Weapons Malfunction are easily the strongest kit powers when specced into.

You're specced into your kit skills, right?

3) Shotguns are your friend, though I do just fine with MK X widebeams on my BOs and a stun and split beam on myself.

4) One Science with tricorder and regenerator is all you need in the way of healing. Two Engis with Shield Recharge help, though.

Any setup is likely to be successful on Advanced or Normal, though. Honestly, grounds is pretty easy now. Its in line with Space.
Yes I am. In fact, I have always put points into my ground skills before my ship skills on every character I make.The same goes for purchasing gear with emblems. I have always been very involved in ground combat. To be utterly obliterated by any mob group that contains anything beyond ensign level enemies on Normal difficulty is not working as intended. Given I can usually wipe out a group before they wipe out mine on my Tactical characters, unless they contain a Commander or a Captain: these two assure death no matter what.

I don't understand how you can be successful without the pidgeonholing I spoke of.
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing that other people aren't.

I'm an Engi, I specced into and use Equipment Technician as my kit. I use a Phaser Stun Pistol Mk XI (CritD) and a Phaser Split Beam Rifle Mk X (CritH, CritDx2). I use a Personal Shield Mk X (Capx3) and an Integrated Targeting Armor Mk X (AP, Phys, HP).

My BO setup is Tac, Sci, Engi, Engi.

Tac uses a Bat'Leth Mk X (CritD, CritH, Borg) and Sweeping Strikes 1 (i use it manually as needed), Target Optics 2, Lunge 1 and Lunge 3.

Sci uses a Phaser Wide Beam Mk XI, Medical Tricorder 1, Vascular Regenerator 1, Stasis Field 3, Tricorder Scan 2

Engi uses Phaser Stun Pistol Mk X (CritH), Shield Recharge 1, Phaser Turret Fabrication 1, Shield Generator 2, Equipment Diagnostics 2

Other Engi uses Phaser Wide Beam Pistol Mk X, Shield Recharge 1, Weapons Malfunction 2, Reroute Power to Shields 3, Shield Generator 2

I drop Combat Supply as needed, though I rarely use the shield charges (usually just keep a Remodulator in that slot). I use my Tribble of Borg when I beam down.

If I really want to clear everything as quickly as possible, I use Orbital Strike to open if its up. Usually kills mostly everything, or at least drops their shields. I rarely touch Engineering Proficiency. My Tac BO dies somewhat often, so revive is always close to my more used skills.

Against anything but the Borg, I let my BOs do as they please. Against the Borg, I keep them on passive and focus fire down Drones, then Tactical Drones, then Heavy Tacticals in that order. I stick with my pistol until I either see an opportunity for AoE damage or need an Exploit (and Lunge3/1 aren't up), in which case I briefly pull out my Split Beam. I use Malfunction and Fuse Armor as they're up for the exposes. Rarely need them for the debuffs, though when I do I just switch to the threat, drop the debuffs and switch back to my target.

So far I've yet to die in Exploration missions or Feature Episodes. Ran Assimilation, too, and pulled most of the Borg on the cube without trouble. There was one instance where I accidentally pulled too many, but Orbital Strike and Engineering Proficiency got me out of that mess.

That's pretty much how I've been steamrolling through Elite content.
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
If I didn't know better, and probably still don't, it would seem like the weapon choice of short range pistol types, is of better choice than rifles and assault rifles. Would like to see what the boff armor and personal shields are like too, as I suspect short, high range damage is better than long to mid range rifle damage.

I also however suspect that the majority of the playing community plays only on Normal mode for the primary part, maybe some on Advanced, not as many on Elite. And for it all, we're seriously not used to seeing our boffs dies so danged much. It's like we all went to the Hello Kitty school of combat, then suddenly got sent to Afghanistan into a real war zone, thinking we were all bard arse for it all. The transition of shock like that was 'not' what we were expecting.

I 'do' think of this mindset, we got hoodwinked 'too' much further than this, and hence where all the griping about GC 2.0 comes from. Course I'm a player that 'hates' the word Hard in anything, as I got seriously burned out of all that, from months of doing WoW ICC, some on Hard mode, and put up with all the Ventrillo flame fests from it all. It was 'real' ugly at times, and one major reason I've not done an STF in this game. The Cata gameplay made it worse, and I REALLY fear the devs went on this route for appeasing the hardcores. I think the devs don't have a proper Normal mode in this game anymore, as it currently stands.

Course I also think the devs didn't like us going Turret crazy, ending battles within five seconds, without much needing for heals. Nerfing heals however was not the proper answer. Remove the shared cooldown crud, and I really suspect the griping will stop. it really all comes down to this new faster style of gameplay is NOT for everyone. Maybe were not all seeing it yet, but maybe all the griping has a point as well.

No one in the gaming community is the same type of schmoo, were all different types of schmoos, all have, always will. Pigeonholing is likely one of the great, silent, unnoticed crimes in society, simply for the fact, that we all treat each other at times, 'too much' the same. Moreson in the virtual realm where we don't even see each others eyes and faces for the vast part. yes it hard to quantify it by the gaming, and especially the development community, and the devs here DID do a great job with this game, bugs all aside. I just feel they didn't take turtle players like me into account, that at times, just likes to sit at ESD, and look at all the ships flying about.

Gaming is supposed to be about enjoyment, and I think GC 2.0 was about enjoyment for a certain type of player, over another. I think also a LOT of us need to take one monumental step back, and stop *****ing like dogs in heat. I'm not joking, I've seen as much griping in Forums and STO chat, as there is in Congress. Grow up people, it's a game with fake pixels, set in a wholly imagined universe. If you're not here to enjoy a game, then you're not gaming, not even close.

Sorry for going way off topic, but there's probably a middle ground to all of this, so that we can enjoy GC 2.0 as intended, but also keep the difficulty slider, as IT was intended. I also suspect that suddenly, you can only play with certain weapon types and setups, and this also is pigeonholing.

I think for the sake of a chill pill, either the cooldowns have to go, on the boffs primarily, or the mob damage is too high for Normal mode to be actually Normal mode anymore. There are those that can handle it, but a good number can't, for one reason or another. The lag and loading issues in the game on certain computer systems, (and worse, on certain ISP providers,) likely does not help. This most likely was not taken into fair account here, and this is likely where the whole point of this spiel goes.

I mentioned leeway, we don't have that it seems at present. Are we even supposed to now? Something really feels off.
Lt. Commander
# 60 What cho talkin' bout Willis?
07-10-2011, 08:19 AM
I've read through thris thread a number of others regarding the varying opinions on Ground Combat 2.0, which tend to fall either on the side of "Still too easy" or "OMGWTFBBQ I KEEP DYING". I am firmly in the latter camp, and before someone from the former comes around and tries to tell me, "Oh, just get used to it" or "You're doing it wrong", please don't and no I'm not not.

The fundamental problem in a game like STO or any other MMO is what the first M in MMO stands for: Massively. Given the diverse nature of the player base, there is no way that cryptic will be able to kee everyone happy. The hardcore KDF PvP faction will always have their beefs. The people who want to play KDF but don't like PvP will always beef about the lack of PvE, and the PvP KDF will beef about the non PvP KDF not knowing how to PvP. The hardcore role players will find something to beef about that's breaking their immersion, and even if cyptic gifts us with a TOS T5 Connie refit, someone will have a beef about the way it gifted to us.

This is just the latest issue to pop up. Did I have universal love for ground combat 1.0? No. It was deadly dull boring button mashing, in my mind, which ground combat 2.0 is certainly not. It needed something to liven it up. Making normal feel like elite, (to me) isn't the answer either. I'm a casual player. I don't want to have to spend three days tweaking my toons in order to survive ground combat during normal game play. The game should not make me do so. What it should do is have the ability to make me do so, but only if I choose. Ergo, the difficulty slider. I leave it on normal for a reason - I like that game doesn't require me to work to hard to get what I want out of it.

Everyone wants to play the game a ceratin way. The way I like to play (and, it would seem, a lot of others) is now broken so that it plays the way others want to. I expect that, in fairly short order, cryptic will go through and rebalance things, at least on the normal level so that the casual player like me is mollified and then the inevitable howls of protest will ensue from some other party.

Just remember one thing in the give and take here on the forums: mind Wheaton's law and don't be a ****.

Cheers.