Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
There is no evidence to suggest that the MACO still exist. Most likely they were absorbed into the Federation after it was established. My guess is any Starfleet officer specializing in tactical / weapons would probably have included previously known MACO training.
I have new evidence for the jury. The new Drones in the game are Exocomps. The Support Drone has the initials. S.F.C.E. Star Fleet Corps of Engineering. While the Seeker Drone sports the initials M.A.C.O. With a shark tooth filled smile along the sides near the front.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
"book" soft canon, they can ignor any books they want to
People have tried to make this argument before, and here is the flaw in that thinking.

CBS owns the Star Trek IP. CBS must approve of everything that is related to STO. If CBS allows for a book related to STO or an in-game story or item in STO, by definition it becomes part of Star Trek canon.

STO is the new canon of Star Trek, in the absence of any TV series, movie or book authorized by CBS that says otherwise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
anyone have a pic of this MACO stuff i forget what it looks like
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantoliver View Post
anyone have a pic of this MACO stuff i forget what it looks like
Here, take a look: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/MACO

Also, Memory Alpha includes this statement: "According to The Needs of the Many, MACOs continued to exist into the 25th century. "
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
07-11-2011, 12:36 PM
ah now i remember they do look cool thumbs up =)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
07-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
Here, take a look: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/MACO

Also, Memory Alpha includes this statement: "According to The Needs of the Many, MACOs continued to exist into the 25th century. "
Except that the "Needs of the Many" is a book based on STO. The Wiki also says "There have been no references to any separate Earth military after the final MACO appearance in 2161."

If you look at the DS9 episodes where heavy fighting occurred against the Dominion the "troops" deployed on the front lines had special tactical uniforms and even some light armor. There was never any kind of MACO uniform deployed. There were references to specific tactical deployment units which seems to point out that there were specific areas of Starfleet that were dedicated to combat training but not MACO persay. To me it makes sense that MACO would be absorbed into Starfleet as tactical units.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
People have tried to make this argument before, and here is the flaw in that thinking.

CBS owns the Star Trek IP. CBS must approve of everything that is related to STO. If CBS allows for a book related to STO or an in-game story or item in STO, by definition it becomes part of Star Trek canon.

STO is the new canon of Star Trek, in the absence of any TV series, movie or book authorized by CBS that says otherwise.
In actuality...this is mostly true.

Hard Canon is what is seen on TV/Movies.

Soft Canon is everything else (Books and games) and can be accepted AS Canon until something from Hard Canon overrides it....

Now the problem is...with so many different writers contributing to the franchise...things will undoubtedly override even accidentally, in Hard Canon.



As for the MACO pack...I'm game. I don't mind having them in here.

Since Star Trek is primarily about Starfleet...it's understandable that they wouldn't show too much on the ground pounders like the MACO troops....but surely they exist.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
There is no evidence to suggest that the MACO still exist. Most likely they were absorbed into the Federation after it was established. My guess is any Starfleet officer specializing in tactical / weapons would probably have included previously known MACO training.
They dont have to exist to put out the uniform.
The Bajoran Military probably doesnt exist any more, still the uniform is there.
The Ent-uniforms are not really actual uniforms anymore they are datet for 200 years now. Also, any other canon uniform beside the AGT uniforms are datet.
STO would be a prety boring place if they take THAT as a scale...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
"book" soft canon, they can ignor any books they want to
Yeah, they do that with alot of books.... but since the whole game is non-canon they can put in the macos themselfes any way if they want...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
07-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
Is this in the works?

I hoping Cryptic will eventaully make a MACO uniform / weapons bundle pack:

1. Uniform Jackets, Pants, Belts, Boots, Badges, Ranks, Patch
2. Alternate Universe MACO Uniform items (listed above)
3. Weapons: Assault Rifle Tr -116, Sniper Rifle TR - 116a; Stun Baton melee weapon.
Include the MACO rifle and I am game
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 AM.