Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 MACOS or MARINES
08-12-2011, 01:15 AM
When will we see more MACOS camo uniforms or introduce Starfleet Marines. I love Startrek, but they never mention the Marines. The Federation is at War and the ground warfare is just being handled by a few tactical landing parties? Or is warfare in Startrek only in Space? In DS9 you saw a few episodes that there were Marines defending ground assests.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I guess if Cryptic is "faithful" to star trek timeline, we won't be seeing MACO's in the game, and the reason is simple.

MACO is abbreviation of Military Assault Command Operations, and part of Earth starfleet forces.

as united federation of planets was founded, their military branch was all formed under name of starfleet.
Former MACO came part of Starfleet Tactical division.

It is good to remember that in star trek, any military, security, police, or rescue service is handled by diff division of starfleet. Aboard federation starships, take 1701-D for example, Chief of security is not only responsible of police duties, but also Fire dept issues
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd love to see some focus on ground troops a bit myself, be it in the form of a questline, or just a few cool combat suits like the MACO's and/or an updated version of their gear.

What you say is true Kingitiikeri, but there are logical ways of actually having MACO's and fitting them within canon for this era of Trek. Like you said, Starfleet does have divisions that handle everything, but not division is starship related.

Starfleet does have ground units, as witnessed in several DS9 episodes, and obviously Starfleet has elite elements within it's structure (Red Squad from DS9, and Nova Squadron from TNG) so it's logical that the ground forces are set up on divisions of some kind.

Starfleet and the Federation has always revered history, and made sure that famous people, ships, places and events are remembered, lest they be forgotten.

If you look at those two things, it's fairly easy to conceive that the MACO name is remembered for their sacrifices, and it could easily be suggested that they are honored by carrying on the name MACO for an elite group of Starfleet ground troops. (conceding that the acronym doesn't stand for the same thing as it used to mean).

I admit...that's conjecture on my part, but it's possible to stretch things to fit that, using existing examples in canon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingitiikeri
I guess if Cryptic is "faithful" to star trek timeline, we won't be seeing MACO's in the game, and the reason is simple.

MACO is abbreviation of Military Assault Command Operations, and part of Earth starfleet forces.

as united federation of planets was founded, their military branch was all formed under name of starfleet.
Former MACO came part of Starfleet Tactical division.

It is good to remember that in star trek, any military, security, police, or rescue service is handled by diff division of starfleet. Aboard federation starships, take 1701-D for example, Chief of security is not only responsible of police duties, but also Fire dept issues
Actually, they may not be gone after all. I just noticed that my Engineer's Seeker Exocomp (that would be the combat-oriented type, for non-engineers) bears the initials M.A.C.O....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
Actually, they may not be gone after all. I just noticed that my Engineer's Seeker Exocomp (that would be the combat-oriented type, for non-engineers) bears the initials M.A.C.O....
There's also MACO's in the Star Trek Online novel 'The Needs of the Many'.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingitiikeri
I guess if Cryptic is "faithful" to star trek timeline, we won't be seeing MACO's in the game, and the reason is simple.

MACO is abbreviation of Military Assault Command Operations, and part of Earth starfleet forces.

as united federation of planets was founded, their military branch was all formed under name of starfleet.
Former MACO came part of Starfleet Tactical division.

It is good to remember that in star trek, any military, security, police, or rescue service is handled by diff division of starfleet. Aboard federation starships, take 1701-D for example, Chief of security is not only responsible of police duties, but also Fire dept issues
you sir have just made on of the best explanations for that role i have ever read
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUAN-PABLO
When will we see more MACOS camo uniforms or introduce Starfleet Marines. I love Startrek, but they never mention the Marines. The Federation is at War and the ground warfare is just being handled by a few tactical landing parties? Or is warfare in Startrek only in Space? In DS9 you saw a few episodes that there were Marines defending ground assests.
If the guys of STOked are right, we will get new uniforms, very possible MACO at the release of the upcomming Borg ground invasion maps. Maybe in 2 or three month.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM.