Lt. Commander
# 1 Shields
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I've done some math on the nerf to covariant shields and what was thought of as "slight" is really a very significant amount.

For example, a Cruiser using the Field Generator Console with the Aegis shield gets its cap increased to 12900 during space combat. Its original value would've been 8385.

Apply the nerf and on paper the new base cap for Aegis shield is 7127.25. Use the field generator and you get boosted up to 10965. This is a difference of 1935 shield HP.

This morning on ESD there was a discussion that sometimes a little bit of cap makes a lot of difference. A shield with 600 more shield HP according to its tooltip would get a big boost in space combat. If the shield tooltips are "slightly" nerfed for covariants as the patch notes suggest, then players are loosing a LOT of tanking capability in PvE (and PvP) which leaves them open to much more beatdowns. In fact it looks like players have to spam their shield heals like a mother hubbard to keep those shields up.

Now then, here's the question..

For PvE, if Covariants aren't (nearly as good) good for tanking anymore, what shield WOULD be? Or do we just say to heck with shields and go to outright hull tanking those fleet actions and STF's? Its already a given that a loss of 1935 shield HP on a cruiser is a big loss, so some alternatives would be nice to "tank" like a boss in PvE when you are given that role.

And yes this would also affect PvP, but I'm only interested in the PvE aspects at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I dont care a bit for Capacity, and i outtank most guys out here with my Tact in Retrofit, ive dumped covariants and even the +35 cap console since a long time..

Covariant = not for tanking at all. Not for an extensive amount of time anyhow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-08-2011, 01:05 AM
My math is wrong. The value on an assault cruiser shows a reduction from 12900 to 11935, a loss of 965 points. That's still a lot to lose. Could be the difference between one Beam Overload or one well-deployed Cannon Rapid Fire.

So if Covariants aren't for tanking, then what is? It is my understanding that if you want survivability in a shield, get a Cov. They have the cap to survive heavy assaults a little longer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethoir
My math is wrong. The value on an assault cruiser shows a reduction from 12900 to 11935, a loss of 965 points. That's still a lot to lose. Could be the difference between one Beam Overload or one well-deployed Cannon Rapid Fire.

So if Covariants aren't for tanking, then what is? It is my understanding that if you want survivability in a shield, get a Cov. They have the cap to survive heavy assaults a little longer.
I think you're asking an odd question - for what purpose other thank tanking are shields good in the first place? They exist to make you last longer, that's always "tanking".

The difference between Regenerative and Covariants primarily is that one heals fast, theother has a lot of initial capacity. So Covariants are good too catch spikes, Regeneratives are good to deal with damage over time.

The problem always was that the differences in regeneration where in practive not as relevant as the difference between capacity. This might have improved now. Or it might not. I really don't know that yet.

But as a guideline:
- Take Covariants if you expect to be the target of significant spikes and are running low shield power and rely on healing powers to restore your shields.
- Take Regeneratives if you expect to take more constant damage. You best run at high shield power.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think you're asking an odd question - for what purpose other thank tanking are shields good in the first place? They exist to make you last longer, that's always "tanking".

The difference between Regenerative and Covariants primarily is that one heals fast, theother has a lot of initial capacity. So Covariants are good too catch spikes, Regeneratives are good to deal with damage over time.

The problem always was that the differences in regeneration where in practive not as relevant as the difference between capacity. This might have improved now. Or it might not. I really don't know that yet.

But as a guideline:
- Take Covariants if you expect to be the target of significant spikes and are running low shield power and rely on healing powers to restore your shields.
- Take Regeneratives if you expect to take more constant damage. You best run at high shield power.
Thanks. I was mostly replying to Marctraider when they said Covariants aren't for tanking in any manner (not for a long time anyway). And I've been following STOked's math that Covariants can handle the alpha strikes. But the math is different now and depending on where you go (PvP or Fleet Action PvE) they will not last as long as they used to. I've seen my shields on my assault cruiser drop by 965 points, and that's a lot. I already rely on shield heal powers and the Borg 3 piece bonus to extend their durability. And yes I typically run with shields low in PvE. Need that weapons power maxed and have some engine power for maneuvers/speed.